Yet another US shooting

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

Ooo not a fan of this take...

I appreciate you're probably not Neil deGrasse Tyson, but I don't see how any of this is relevant? Legislation / programmes exist to reduce the number of medical errors, accidents, suicide etc. Seemingly none are in place to reduce the number of gun murders.  

On the whole meme about it takes a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun, police and militaries around the world spend large amounts of time and money training people to be able to react to the sudden stress of a combat situation. A fruitcake with an AR15 and counter strike can spend weeks or months keying themselves up to take a gun on a rampage, most will only kill two or three people. Its incredibly hard in the stress of those situations to lay down accurate fire. Obviously the odd psychopath (not an insult but actual clinical psychopaths) can be cold enough to get a high kill count but for the most part their shooting is wild. Someone with a hand gun out shopping suddenly having to switch to ice cold professional marksman to take out a someone aiming at you and your family is a fantasy from too many Jason Statham films. 
Preaching to the choir here but it is an utter delusion to think a normal family man or woman can just whip out a colt and go all Jason Bourne on a shooter. 

Completely agree, the standard reaction in this country to an act of violence is one of two things 1) run away and 2) pull out a phone and be a fucking arsehole filming said violence.

The concept of members of the public taking down armed suspects is madness, the level of training to shoot accurately in a high stress situation like that is not something that a member of the public could attain without being one for the watching anyway.

I appreciate you're probably not Neil deGrasse Tyson, but I don't see how any of this is relevant? Legislation / programmes exist to reduce the number of medical errors, accidents, suicide etc. Seemingly none are in place to reduce the number of gun murders.  
Perfectly summed up in this tweet.

I went to a gun range in texas a few years ago, it was a horrible, noisy and quite a terrifying experience, there was a guy in the next bay with a rifle even rambo would struggle to hold, i could feel the power of the gun from 10 feet away.
I just can't get my head around people wanting to own a gun.

3 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

I went to a gun range in texas a few years ago, it was a horrible, noisy and quite a terrifying experience, there was a guy in the next bay with a rifle even rambo would struggle to hold, i could feel the power of the gun from 10 feet away.
I just can't get my head around people wanting to own a gun.

I know people who've gone to America on holiday and gone to one of these gun ranges, I assume for fun.  Always struck me as a very odd thing to do on a holiday.

10 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I know people who've gone to America on holiday and gone to one of these gun ranges, I assume for fun.  Always struck me as a very odd thing to do on a holiday.

I was curious to see what the appeal was, once there I realised it wasn't my thing, it was a Saturday and there were entire families there as if it was their family day out, very odd indeed.

10 minutes ago, Serious Business said:

Why's that? It's not as if they are purposeless, otherwise people wouldn't want to own them.

You've given me food for thought I'd forgot about their purpose, I now want to own guns, loads of them, I'm sure they will come in handy at some point.

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I lived there for a couple of years on a student visa and it never occurred to me that I could've gone to a gun range if I'd felt so inclined. It strikes me as mental that somebody could rock up on a plane, pay a couple of hundred bucks to a shooting range, and have access to high-powered rifles before the end of the day. I presume it's not that easy for most Americans these days.

Having said that, I know there are plenty of tourists who come here to shoot game, so hurrah for making money out of Ones for the Watching, I guess?  :unsure:

And look at the moon howlers in the comments there, saying the answer is more guns. Utterly mental, a scary country.

The arguments in favour of gun ownership are solely restricted to self preservation in underserved communities. Most of the responses come from libertarians who seem to think all state medicine is bad, and given how morally vacuous libertarianism is, it’s no surprise that the argument to prevent gun crime is essentially to encourage more gun crime. Those same proponents also oppose taxation of bullets for the same self-centred reason.

I lived there for a couple of years on a student visa and it never occurred to me that I could've gone to a gun range if I'd felt so inclined. It strikes me as mental that somebody could rock up on a plane, pay a couple of hundred bucks to a shooting range, and have access to high-powered rifles before the end of the day. I presume it's not that easy for most Americans these days.
Having said that, I know there are plenty of tourists who come here to shoot game, so hurrah for making money out of Ones for the Watching, I guess?  :unsure:

I’m sure our gun totin’ friend will join me in celebrating the momentous occasion of the Glorious 12th next week?

Not too gory, but the lower video gives you a sense of the sheer firepower that an AR 15 has that anyone can just order online with 100 bullet magazines over there. Why the f**k would you sell 100 bullet magazines? People trying to shoot flocks of ducks?

https://nypost.com/2019/08/05/video-shows-moment-cops-kill-connor-betts-during-dayton-massacre/

Edited by welshbairn