When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

822 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I'm in Carnoustie lol.  Don't know why it would say that.  Aye, my point is, in Britain, its actually just a small group of extremist nutters and very much a fringe position to regard yourself as British.  Each nation in the UK has a very strong national identity, for some English people 'English' is interchangeable with 'British' but they really just mean English when they say British anyway.

Like my ex is American, I made a point early on of correcting her when she used the phrase 'British' accent, pointing out there is no such thing as a British accent, only English, Scottish, Welsh etc.

It must wind up Scottish BritNats to no end that people in other countries folk mean “English” when they say British accents. For whatever reason, perhaps it’s distinctiveness across regions, Scotland has maintained independence (much to unionist chagrin) when it comes to its accents, and Americans (for example) could probably identify an accent as distinctively and uniquely “Scottish” when a whole of English accents would all be “British”. 

Edited by Antlion

12 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I dunno I've had a few Americans think I was Irish.

I was about to say. They get us and the Irish very confused.

Not sure what they make of the Welsh, but I'd guess they keep a good distance.

Edit: Northern Ireland! Holy f**k. I wonder if most Americans would even realise they're Irish.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

14 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I dunno I've had a few Americans think I was Irish.

I imagine this would be more of a punch in the ribs to a hardcore Northern Briton than being identified as Scottish rather than British. The Irish? Those b*****ds who broke the union already?

16 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Well the ones from Massachusetts etc who openly funded the IRA for years probably did! 

Pff. They think they're Irish, so their opinion's worthless.

2 hours ago, Antlion said:

It must wind up Scottish BritNats to no end that people in other countries folk mean “English” when they say British accents. For whatever reason, perhaps it’s distinctiveness across regions, Scotland has maintained independence (much to unionist chagrin) when it comes to its accents, and Americans (for example) could probably identify an accent as distinctively and uniquely “Scottish” when a whole of English accents would all be “British”. 

They actually usually think you're Irish, they're much more familiar with Ireland than Scotland.  Shame really as we had just as many emigrants to America and had just as big an influence on American society.

22 hours ago, Stormzy said:

And yet the Union lives on strongly. 

And on our many Scotland Independence marches we have rangers fans marching alongside us.

Like us they are Scots through and through and believe in their own country having the god given right to self governance, not some diluted silly empire pish that you have swallowed.

I believe Rees Mogg is a staunch rangers supporter and like you sleeps with a union flag duvet.

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

And on our many Scotland Independence marches we have rangers fans marching alongside us.

Like us they are Scots through and through and believe in their own country having the god given right to self governance, not some diluted silly empire pish that you have swallowed.

I believe Rees Mogg is a staunch rangers supporter and like you sleeps with a union flag duvet.

Whilst seeking no contention, it is incumbent upon an innocent reader to seek clarification...

Does anyone know the background to the vote on vexatious litigants and protections against such for the armed forces, which the SNP MPs voted against?

A Yoon I know has got hold of it, and I would dearly like to smash his hand wringing out the park... Why did they vote agaisnt?

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Does anyone know the background to the vote on vexatious litigants and protections against such for the armed forces, which the SNP MPs voted against?

A Yoon I know has got hold of it, and I would dearly like to smash his hand wringing out the park... Why did they vote agaisnt?

It's not about stopping vexatious litigation, it's about decriminalising torture and war crime.

If you need a different perspective on it in the likely event you're dealing with someone who genuinely believes that not a single one of 'are brave boys' has ever been guilty or such crimes in the first place, it also makes it more difficult for veterans to take action against the UK Government themselves.

17 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I was about to say. They get us and the Irish very confused.

Not sure what they make of the Welsh, but I'd guess they keep a good distance.

Edit: Northern Ireland! Holy f**k. I wonder if most Americans would even realise they're Irish.

Ireland is probably the most common guess of Americans when they hear my accent. Which is fair enough, it's not like I could tell the difference between most folk from LA, Vancouver or Miami and those distances are quite a bit further than from here to Dublin.

It's not helped by Scottish and Irish accents being routinely butchered by American actors in TV to the point where they're basically the same accent that absolutely nobody speaks in.

Edited by Gordon EF

30 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

It's not about stopping vexatious litigation, it's about decriminalising torture and war crime.

If you need a different perspective on it in the likely event you're dealing with someone who genuinely believes that not a single one of 'are brave boys' has ever been guilty or such crimes in the first place, it also makes it more difficult for veterans to take action against the UK Government themselves.

I just read the governments proposal, and it's not actually even dressed up to attempt to hide it. It's a pretty open and naked attempt to whitewash the past crimes of the military and ensure future ones can go unpunished. 

30 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Ireland is probably the most common guess of Americans when they hear my accent. Which is fair enough, it's not like I could tell the difference between most folk from LA, Vancouver or Miami and those distances are quite a bit further than from here to Dublin.

It's not helped by Scottish and Irish accents being routinely butchered by American actors in TV to the point where they're basically the same accent that absolutely nobody speaks in.

Almost everyone new I meet thinks I'm Irish. Even people I've worked for a while get mixed up between the two. It's not a big deal really. Nobody makes the mistake of thinking I'm English though.