When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Think it will be close but think Yes might just sneak it this time reasons being-

1- mistakes from the first campaign and what went wrong will have been looked at and lessons learned.

2- sturgeon is a far better first minister and will lead the campaign far better than Salmond did,think she will connect more with the general public and run a better campaign in general.

3-nice and simple this one, sturgeon should give Salmond no role in this campaign,think he would just undermine her and make the public look back to 2014 and the fact he lead a failed campaign.

19 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Sturgeon won't get one at all.

I will vote yes, and I hope Holyrood grant her the right to it, but May will deny it, Cameron had a massive lead and almost fucked it up, May can't afford to risk what with it being a 50% split.

Do the Conservative base down south actually care about losing Scotland any more? I do think there was a genuine will before but I get the feeling that with how rowdy we've been and the loss of the oil income, they'd not shed any tears about cutting us lose. I'm not basing this on anything but it did feel like there wasn't that much interest in our situation in comparison to the issue of the EU and voters wouldn't really care. The projected Conservative percentage of seats without Scotland is at 63% and past 65% when working in other loyal MPs. Things change fast in politics but I'm not sure this poses much of a danger to the government when opposition is so weak.

I could even imagine this sort of strengthening of English democracy (by leaving the EU and losing a hostile Scotland) argument being played out as a Conservative accomplishment once the dust settles.

I see the SG are trying to promote the hashtag #ScotRef instead of #IndyRef.

Clever. The former has too many negative connotations because of the last vote. And using "Scot" makes it seem more inclusive.

I wonder how the pound will fare with both indyref2 called and Article 50 triggered. Both, of course, are the result of the economically illiterate Tories.

This is what I don't get about the UK government statement. They talk about how another Indy ref will create uncertainty etc etc, which I agree with, but this is the same group who put forward the EU referendum and who are now pursuing Brexit despite it being just about the biggest act of uncertainty I can remember the UK doing in my life-time.

It seems to be a case of 'your uncertainty bad, our uncertainty good'.

I think May will get her tactics drastically wrong when it comes to dealing with this.

1 minute ago, kevthedee said:

Think it will be close but think Yes might just sneak it this time reasons being-

1- mistakes from the first campaign and what went wrong will have looked at and lessons learned.

If by mistakes you mean the lies and broken promises made by the pro-Union side - and by lessons you mean the Scottish public learning a lesson from the past then yes, I absolutely agree with you.

I was quite exasperated by the prospect of another referendum, but quite excited now!

Know a few people who have switched from No to Yes in the wake of the EU vote, but of course that's not exactly representative.

Yes can definitely win this time, as long as lessons have been learned from the previous time.

Have to be very clear on the currency question, and put less of a focus on oil money.

No sane person could possibly reach such a level of 'Seethe' on a f*ckin Internet forum could they?

You've spent the weekend -
calling other posters tramps.
Posting about other posters masturbating.
Posting snidey child abuse related pish on a match forum.

Have I missed anything?

20 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

This is about the only sensible post on the last 4 pages (it'll probably be 5 by the time I get this posted).

If I were still living in Scotland, and if I were a "No" voter I'd need better arguments than "shitebag", "Quisling", "craven",  "cap doffer" etc, which seems to be the mo of most of the posters on here. And not forgetting "seething", that'll really convince the waverers/fence sitters/don't knows and soft nos.

Examples or it didn't happen.

You could count the amount of people on one hand who are going to look to P&B to decide their vote in a future independence referendum, so it doesn't really matter one jot what people write on here. Having said that, I haven't seen one person - let alone a majority - using the words "Quisling" or "cap doffer" on here recently - other than you, of course. 

If by mistakes you mean the lies and broken promises made by the pro-Union side - and by lessons you mean the Scottish public learning a lesson from the past then yes, I absolutely agree with you.

Am sure the SNP/yes campaign will be the first to admit they made mistakes and could have done things differently.

11 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

She's called it too soon. An Autumn 2018/Spring 2019 referendum doesn't stop Scotland, even if only temporarily, being dragged out of the EU against its will. There's no chance in hell secession proceedings would take less than 6 months. She should have waited until it happened, for the actual impact of Brexit to hit home, then seek a mandate on that basis. 2020 or 2021.

Yes will lose a referendum held within the Brexit window.

The Brexit negotiations could drag on for a decade, with continuing uncertainties for the economy. We could be independent members of the EU way before the full terms of Brexit are known. After a year or two of Brexit negotiations running into stalemate would be perfect timing.

Just now, Enigma said:

What we really need is the powers that be in the EU promising us the earth and playing hard ball with the UK.

I can see it being a hard Brexit, to try and put other countries off the idea of leaving the EU.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The Brexit negotiations could drag on for a decade, with continuing uncertainties for the economy. We could be independent members of the EU way before the full terms of Brexit are known. After a year or two of Brexit negotiations running into stalemate would be perfect timing.

Aye, I've got some doubts myself as to whether or not it's too soon, but there's not going to be a sudden moment where everyone's just simultaneously hit by the affects of Brexit and sees the light. If the effects are to be negative it'll be a gradual thing which hits everyone differently, and the government would no doubt try to pass it off as something instead.

1 minute ago, Enigma said:

What we really need is the powers that be in the EU promising us the earth and playing hard ball with the UK.

I think we'll see a different line from the EU (less uncertainty) this time, they would love nothing more than to put the boot into the Westminster government.