When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Antlion said:

If I was May or one of her cronies, I’d have fun taking bets on what I could demand Mundell do. You know, “a fiver says I can get him lick the floor of a pub toilet whilst wearing nothing but an apron with ‘I’m a little teapot’ written on it.” Followed by, “double or nothing says I can get him to make him to lie face-down on college green with an England flag planted in his arsehole”.

Mundell, of course, would be scurrying around the floor, excitedly trying to lick the hands of his tormentors.

You've got that spot on.

Noises being made last night from SNP circles that Indyref2 will be sought as soon as the brexit terms are known.

Much as I'd love to see it I'm not at all sure that support for independence has increased much, if any, since last time.

I also don't think it would be a wise move to seek an Indyref2 until the SNP (and the Scots) are very confident they would win.

Noises being made last night from SNP circles that Indyref2 will be sought as soon as the brexit terms are known.
Much as I'd love to see it I'm not at all sure that support for independence has increased much, if any, since last time.
I also don't think it would be a wise move to seek an Indyref2 until the SNP (and the Scots) are very confident they would win.

Nonsense, once we go through the pain of being dragged out of the EU, noone will want further turmoil and potential isolation. Now is the time

2 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Nonsense, once we go through the pain of being dragged out of the EU, noone will want further turmoil and potential isolation. Now is the time

I'd love to see it as soon as there is a strong belief we would win. If we lost I don't think we will see an independent Scotland in my lifetime.

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

When will that be? What would be required for it to happen? The polls are never going to shift with just inertia, I’m afraid.

Much like the Bolshevik Revolution wouldn’t have happened if Lenin hadn’t taken the initiative and grabbed history by the baws, independence isn’t going to magically transpire unless the SNP bring it back on the agenda and take the campaign to the unionists.

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

As I've said, if recent events haven't shifted opinion enough then we might as well shut up shop. I have no idea what else it would take.

18 minutes ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

As I've said, if recent events haven't shifted opinion enough then we might as well shut up shop. I have no idea what else it would take.

Recent events may very well have influenced some of those who take an interest in Scottish politics.

Sadly you will find that if you stop the average Tom, Dick or Harry on the street they won't have the faintest idea what you're talking about if you try and get their thoughts on the Westminster power grab.  They're more likely to vote the way their parents always voted rather than consider the current political climate.

Like you I have no idea what else we can do.

2 hours ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

Time.......?

My fear is too many opinions are hardened its a generational thing. Might take a decade or two.

4 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

without having seen the rumours you refer to and I'm assuming that you're referring to some of the more senior SNP figures in these circles - does that mean that it's pretty much an open secret that the Brexit terms are going to be absolutely shite - perhaps particularly so for Scotland (maybe for example with the fermers n' fishermen being sold out by Westminster in terms of EU access to those waters/tariffs regarding certain produce to get concessions elsewhere, shit shock horror)

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Recent events may very well have influenced some of those who take an interest in Scottish politics.
Sadly you will find that if you stop the average Tom, Dick or Harry on the street they won't have the faintest idea what you're talking about if you try and get their thoughts on the Westminster power grab.  They're more likely to vote the way their parents always voted rather than consider the current political climate.
Like you I have no idea what else we can do.

That's why we need to call it now, a positive agenda will see number rise. Nobody gives a shit just now because it isn't on agenda

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

without having seen the rumours you refer to and I'm assuming that you're referring to some of the more senior SNP figures in these circles - does that mean that it's pretty much an open secret that the Brexit terms are going to be absolutely shite - perhaps particularly so for Scotland (maybe for example with the fermers n' fishermen being sold out by Westminster in terms of EU access to those waters/tariffs regarding certain produce to get concessions elsewhere, shit shock horror)

I certainly wouldn't say "rumours"  - I  was going by an interview with Mike Russell by Gordon Brewer on the Sunday Politics show. Unfortunately I can't find a transcript of that interview - this is about as near as I can get.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/give-the-people-another-vote-says-brexit-minister-mike-russell-jdsxzx75f

I'm as sure as I can be that Russell was arguing that the people of Scotland should be granted a say as to whether or not they go down that abyss of being out of Europe with a bad deal - or even worse - no deal.

Can anyone in Scotland dispute that we should be entitled to another say in our future - given that very likely set of circumstances? Or even anyone on P&B?

On 28/06/2018 at 18:52, ICTJohnboy said:

I certainly wouldn't say "rumours"  - I  was going by an interview with Mike Russell by Gordon Brewer on the Sunday Politics show. Unfortunately I can't find a transcript of that interview - this is about as near as I can get.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/give-the-people-another-vote-says-brexit-minister-mike-russell-jdsxzx75f

I'm as sure as I can be that Russell was arguing that the people of Scotland should be granted a say as to whether or not they go down that abyss of being out of Europe with a bad deal - or even worse - no deal.

Can anyone in Scotland dispute that we should be entitled to another say in our future - given that very likely set of circumstances? Or even anyone on P&B?

Starts at the half hour mark.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b6szhh/sunday-politics-scotland-24062018

A building block in the case for an Independance Ref tonight with the ‘Claim of Right’ motion passed.

The SNP Westminster group have had a really good few weeks- sticking to a plan hatched in the midst of their walkout. 

Keep it going! 

Something I've been pondering for the past few days... would an England World Cup win help or hinder the independence cause?

Of course basing your voting preferences on footballing allegiances is daft, but (1) plenty of people do it, (2) lots of small factors might make swing voters 5% more or 5% less likely to vote for something, and this might be one factor which when taken with the others pushes someone from one camp to the other.

My guess: a lot of people who are on the fence about independence probably have some feelings of 'Britishness', are happy enough to see one if its constituent countries do well at sport (even if the political situation draws them to independence), and would probably find rabid anti-Englishness in sport a turn off. But I really don't know.

(Disclaimer: I'm in the Yes/anyone but England camp.)

Edited by Adamski
typos