When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's high stakes indeed. Frankly if the SNP/YES movement can't get a decent crack at Indy2 out of this ongoing fiasco and polling refuses to shift in favour of it, its time to chuck it. Confusingly I think the polling will refuse to do what seems obvious and move in favour by anything significant. That leaves a massive shit or bust gamble to be embarked on that might kill Indy off for decades if it fails. The mere act of that gamble and the less politically engageds boredom/apprehension of massive change might well be the fatal flaw in Indy2. There is also the issue of setting a winning % rather than a 51% /49% shitfest that will sink in the same mire as the 2016 referendum. Potentially the mother and father of "squeeky bum" times. My current opinion is that Nicola will kick the can down the road a fair bit yet.

I'm starting to become quite convinced that Indyref2 will be called as soon as (if?) No Deal is absolutely confirmed.  I think in an ideal world, Sturgeon's preference would be to leave it until the mid 2020s, but with - should a No Deal Brexit go ahead - she has no other choice.

22 minutes ago, Loondave1 said:

It's high stakes indeed. Frankly if the SNP/YES movement can't get a decent crack at Indy2 out of this ongoing fiasco and polling refuses to shift in favour of it, its time to chuck it. Confusingly I think the polling will refuse to do what seems obvious and move in favour by anything significant. That leaves a massive shit or bust gamble to be embarked on that might kill Indy off for decades if it fails. The mere act of that gamble and the less politically engageds boredom/apprehension of massive change might well be the fatal flaw in Indy2. There is also the issue of setting a winning % rather than a 51% /49% shitfest that will sink in the same mire as the 2016 referendum. Potentially the mother and father of "squeeky bum" times. My current opinion is that Nicola will kick the can down the road a fair bit yet.

If the people of Scotland don't vote for it in the current circumstances, they never will. It really is as simple as that. 

She can either act in the manner of a baws out legend like Lenin or shite it and live out life like an irrelevant failure.
Or she could act in the manner of a baws out Legend like Lenin and then live out life like an irrelevant failure much like her predecessor is shaping up to.

2 minutes ago, Loondave1 said:
5 minutes ago, I said:
If the people of Scotland don't vote for it in the current circumstances, they never will. It really is as simple as that. 

Indeed. My point exactly and I think a minimum winning % makes it just that bit more difficult.

Ah the old The dead vote no trick

In my humble opinion this won't happen. 

1 hour ago, Loondave1 said:

As someone who voted No the last time I would have accepted 51/49 last time. I would accept a 51/49 in the next referendum on any side. My prediction is, if Brexit is a no deal and the Tories win a GE then a 56/44 yes. 

46 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

As someone who voted No the last time I would have accepted 51/49 last time. I would accept a 51/49 in the next referendum on any side. My prediction is, if Brexit is a no deal and the Tories win a GE then a 56/44 yes. 

I'd w**k myself into oblivion if that result was called 

Keith Brown was all for striking while the iron was hot because we'll never be in a position where 60%+ of the population want it before when he was running for deputy leader and was promptly demoted by Sturgeon when he won, so I'm not full of hope that she'll get it right.
She'll probably have about a month or two one brexit really bites to get going before the establishment sorts out its lines and enacts them. Any longer and it's over till I'm an old man I think.

A lot of the praise for Sturgeon seems to be wishful thinking and rhetoric around Brexit which should be a given anyway considering she’s got an easy time of it.

On the positive side, indyref2 called, no wins, NS resigns and the SNP vote collapses.

Aye then we can get Boris as PM, we’ll all spend days in the workhouse making clothes pegs, picking fruit and eating chlorinated chicken, it’ll be fucking glorious eh? Then if we are really lucky they’ll let us have an orange walk every july! Oh to be British!!

Perhaps some day if we save up enough money we can go to the talkies?

Christmas mornings can be spent hanging by the window of a rich person desperate for a whiff of roast turkey, oh what a treat.

Aye then we can get Boris as PM, we’ll all spend days in the workhouse making clothes pegs, picking fruit and eating chlorinated chicken, it’ll be fucking glorious eh? Then if we are really lucky they’ll let us have an orange walk every july! Oh to be British!!
Perhaps some day if we save up enough money we can go to the talkies?
Christmas mornings can be spent hanging by the window of a rich person desperate for a whiff of roast turkey, oh what a treat.
Seething.

Think its a fairly accurate description of where the UK is heading post hard brexit. Imagine being so craven and servile that you think going along with that is for the best.
As soon as the "craven" "servile" patter arrives the chances of a succesful Indy wither on the vine.

Nothing will come close to Pep calling people craven and servile while acknowledging that another referendum defeat would have him packing his bags and leaving the country. Especially since his grand commitment to the cause likely consisted of posting online and boring his family at dinner.

As soon as the "craven" "servile" patter arrives the chances of a succesful Indy wither on the vine.

You know what, I apologise, you’re absolutely right name calling won’t win any votes. I do feel strongly that peoples absolute loyalty to a union which beyond any reasonable doubt is not in our interest is beyond madness. If someone could actually tell me whats so special about being british that makes it worth tagging along with brexit, austerity and seemingly endless tory reign then i’d love to hear it?