When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, Daydream said:

Did we sort out the currency issue yet? Seemed a pretty big deal last time.

We'll be going back to the barter system. Two potatoes for your prescription medicine.

All because we voted No & the UK voted leave...

Still, we'll have blue passports & no bendy bananas!

20 hours ago, Daydream said:

Did we sort out the currency issue yet? Seemed a pretty big deal last time.

What are we going to use? The groat? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

9 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

This is easy to smirk at but is likely to be a sufficiently major concern for enough people that it'll inform their vote.

What is the SNP's single sentence answer to the currency question?

If I recall the growth commission was still going on about keeping the pound which did not work before and won't work in future.

An undeniable option is to keep using the same notes and tying it directly to the rUK pound for the short term at least, for zero cost. Having monetary policy controlled by the BofE would be a medium to long term problem, but Slovakia sorted that out pretty quickly by issuing their own currency. The Bawbee or the Euro are unrealistic on day one. In the longer term Ireland lept from being one one of the poorest countries in Europe to one of the richest by abandoning the pound and embracing the EU, and eventually the euro.

Edited by welshbairn

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

An undeniable option is to keep using the same notes and tying it directly to the rUK pound for the short term at least, for zero cost. Having monetary policy controlled by the BofE would be a medium to long term problem, but Slovakia sorted that out pretty quickly by issuing their own currency. The Bawbee or the Euro are unrealistic on day one. In the longer term Ireland lept from being one one of the poorest countries in Europe to one of the richest by abandoning the pound and embracing the EU, and eventually the euro.

The last time I was in Ireland I ran out of euros - hardly surprising with Guinness at over 5 euros a pint. A barman approached me at one stage to see if I wanted another pint and I explained my predicament.

"No worries, sorr" says he, "We can take UK pounds too, as long as you accept that £1 = 1 Euro in this bar"

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Scotland can't be in the EU if its monetary policy is set by a country outside the EU.

Is that true or just if they adopt the Euro? We'd have to coordinate monetary policy with London a bit but not replicate it. Countries basing their currency on the dollar don't follow Fed rules. 

Edited by welshbairn

It really needs to be a short and snappy answer or there needs to be a way of avoiding the debate being bogged down on these points. Better Together and the Tories have shown that they’ll fight their battles by sapping energy from long drawn out and tedious debates over minutiae like this.

30 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

It really needs to be a short and snappy answer or there needs to be a way of avoiding the debate being bogged down on these points. Better Together and the Tories have shown that they’ll fight their battles by sapping energy from long drawn out and tedious debates over minutiae like this.

Agreed but Brexit did phenomenally well ignoring all the minutiae, scaring people about millions of fictional Turks invading and screaming Project Fear that they nicked from the SNP. Maybe we'll need to get Russian help next time.

The next independence campaign has to play it like Father Ted/Jack when the 3 bishops turn up. 

"Do you have a solution to the currency problem?"

"Yes!"

"Will public spending be unaffected, despite the turbulence and uncertainty of the breakup?"

"Yes!"

"What about a hard border with England?"

"That would be a technological matter."

It doesn't fucking matter if it's true is the point I am making. Is it plausible enough that by saying it I can sow enough doubt in someone's mind that they'll think 'na better not' in the ballot box? By the time some SNP person has said 'well it's more complicated than that if you just consider...' in response to someone saying that who is listening? Not your average punter. This is the main, blindingly obvious, cripplingly ignored weakness of the SNP.

The SNP are plenty good at it, they do it wrt Westminster all the time. The problem for them is that it’s harder when you’re the governing party/ movement having to sell the case for something particularly if your selling point is that you’ve got the particulars sorted out. Politics is really just about telling the most convincing story. At least that’s how I see it anyway.

Agreed but Brexit did phenomenally well ignoring all the minutiae, scaring people about millions of fictional Turks invading and screaming Project Fear that they nicked from the SNP. Maybe we'll need to get Russian help next time.

lol that’s the the point I was making.

I'll take any of the 3 or 4 options that were available the last time. What about you ?

I’d take the Euro. Project fear worked too well last time re the currency. The Scottish pound idea wouldn’t work IMO as folk would fear that in time it would be worthless compared to the English pound. It’s got to be the Euro. Good enough for Ireland, good enough for me.

3 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

It doesn't fucking matter if it's true is the point I am making. Is it plausible enough that by saying it I can sow enough doubt in someone's mind that they'll think 'na better not' in the ballot box? By the time some SNP person has said 'well it's more complicated than that if you just consider...' in response to someone saying that who is listening? Not your average punter. This is the main, blindingly obvious, cripplingly ignored weakness of the SNP.

I remember this from last time. The Yes campaign seemed to just react to the bullshit of the staunch North Britons; rather than actually shouting about independence and the state of Westminster (and the idiocy of claiming to be a nation but insisting on rejecting nationhood in favour of regionhood), Yes Scotland just seemed to sit around reacting to scare stories and attempting to engage the other side. It was noble, yes, but at no point did they seem to realise that you can’t engage with ideological and ruthless blindness.

Consider, for example, that stroke-eyed, eccie-jawed fat f**k Gordon Brown slabbering about kids being denied medical treatment at Great Ormond Street. The hospital itself refuted the claims immediately, but where was Yes Scotland?

Edited by Antlion

I’d take the Euro. Project fear worked too well last time re the currency. The Scottish pound idea wouldn’t work IMO as folk would fear that in time it would be worthless compared to the English pound. It’s got to be the Euro. Good enough for Ireland, good enough for me.
As far as im concerned currency isn't that big a deal. The main problem for a high export, oil economy like Scotland's is keeping their currency from getting too strong. A Scottish pound with less value than the British one is a good thing.

All the No politicians from England talked about denying Scotland various things and refusing to work and trade with us should we become independent.

Yet cretinous sniveling shitebags who voted No want to remain with those petty, vindictive types who claim they would actively try and 'punish' us should we dare think for ourselves.