When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

How soon after independence do you expect to see a party founded who try and force the reunification of Scotland and the UK?

I’m gonna go for it to happen within a day backed by dodgy money.

I’d love to see their campaign literature. “Let’s give back control”? “No Scotland”? “It’s not our country - let’s give it back”? “No, we can”t”? “Start London rule”? “We stand against Scotland”? “Turn the clock back”? “Backward, not forward”? “Don’t believe in Scotland”? “Refill the swamp”?

40 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

So self determation ends the day after independence?

Self determination m8?

The campaign slogans really would be an absolute minter. "Let's take back control by giving up control."

Edited by BawWatchin

If we eventually vote for independence, which is more likely by the day, then careful consideration has to be given to who runs the country. Personally, I believe the present cycle of elections should be adhered to. So if the government  of the day has three years to run, then let them run the three years. It might be beneficial to the country as all sorts of issues will arise after independence.  Not least the EU question . 

On 28/01/2019 at 14:46, Colkitto said:

Would it be feasible to force a Holyrood election right now?  SNP seem to be well ahead in the polls at the moment.

Greens could vote against the budget and the SNP declare they cannot get a budget through parliament.

Then go to the elections on a Indyref2 ticket.

Too much of a gamble considering we already have a mandate or worth it to get a totally unambiguous, bigger pro-indy majority in parliament  ?  

Hmm.........

DyMOd6tXQAETxsU.jpg

6 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

Eh?

You suggested putting something in the constitution to stop independence ever being rescinded. That is stopping Scotland's right to decide how it is governed, and would be astoundingly hypocritical given many of the pro independence arguments over the years. 

3 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

If we eventually vote for independence, which is more likely by the day, then careful consideration has to be given to who runs the country. Personally, I believe the present cycle of elections should be adhered to. So if the government  of the day has three years to run, then let them run the three years. It might be beneficial to the country as all sorts of issues will arise after independence.  Not least the EU question . 

This is pretty sensible and what I would expect to happen, though there may be some more co-operation with Labour. I expect the Tories and LolDems will both not want to be involved and be as obstructive as possible. 

1 minute ago, jupe1407 said:

This is pretty sensible and what I would expect to happen, though there may be some more co-operation with Labour. I expect the Tories and LolDems will both not want to be involved and be as obstructive as possible. 

Politicians from all parties will be involved in the negotiations prior to independence. 'Team Scotland' was the name given to this prior to 2014. There was an 18 month period set aside for these negotiations. The idea that party loyalties based around a pre Yes vote party system would remain is fanciful. 

There would be a massive political realignment in any case, as the new government takes full control of taxes. So a centre right party made up of the tories and probably some SNP as well would arise. Without having to worry about opinions on the constitution, parties would completely change- its actually a big advantage of a Yes vote. 

You suggested putting something in the constitution to stop independence ever being rescinded. That is stopping Scotland's right to decide how it is governed, and would be astoundingly hypocritical given many of the pro independence arguments over the years. 

The Scottish peoples’ sovereign right to determine their best form of Scottish government wouldn’t involve conceding their independence to another country.

Moreover, are you saying that any developed, independent country would consider ceding their own nation back to a past ruler? Unlikely in the extreme. I’m sure updated legislation would be introduced to ensure maximum severance of old ties with Westminster; including a new claim of right act which reflects the newly independent nature of Scotland.

6 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Politicians from all parties will be involved in the negotiations prior to independence. 'Team Scotland' was the name given to this prior to 2014. There was an 18 month period set aside for these negotiations. The idea that party loyalties based around a pre Yes vote party system would remain is fanciful. 

There would be a massive political realignment in any case, as the new government takes full control of taxes. So a centre right party made up of the tories and probably some SNP as well would arise. Without having to worry about opinions on the constitution, parties would completely change- its actually a big advantage of a Yes vote. 

I totally agree that there will be a realignment of the political parties.  The SNP probably more so as there main goal of independence would have been achieved. There will undoubtedly be some sort of a Labour party(hopefully more left wing than present). The Conservative part will survive in name, but hopefully as a rump( preferably none at all). The Lib dems?? Who cares?

24 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

You could imagine the libdems strongholds in orkney and shetland being replaced with pro-autonomy parties for both islands post independence.

When the UK splits up we are due our share of nukes, roughly 20. We can sell them to mother Russia and use the cash to pay off any restive natives from the wee weather box in the corner of your tv. Another option is to point the 20 warheads at Alistair Carmichaels house as a deterrent to any lying lib dem voting vikings

2 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

The Scottish peoples’ sovereign right to determine their best form of Scottish government wouldn’t involve conceding their independence to another country.

Moreover, are you saying that any developed, independent country would consider ceding their own nation back to a past ruler? Unlikely in the extreme. I’m sure updated legislation would be introduced to ensure maximum severance of old ties with Westminster; including a new claim of right act which reflects the newly independent nature of Scotland.

Unlikely yes, but it shouldnt be made illegal in a legal document like a constitution. 

I'm surprised not to be seeing more debate on the "Snap Election" story in the Scotsman. Is there a good chance of this taking place, or is Nicola a wee bit worried that she might lose even more ground?

If nothing else, a snap election might be a useful indication as to whether Indyref2 could succeed.

12 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I'm surprised not to be seeing more debate on the "Snap Election" story in the Scotsman. Is there a good chance of this taking place, or is Nicola a wee bit worried that she might lose even more ground?

If nothing else, a snap election might be a useful indication as to whether Indyref2 could succeed.

I think it's probably just to put pressure on the Greens to come on side, but if it happens and has calling for indyref 2 immediately in the manifesto, it would fair stir things up a bit.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think it's probably just to put pressure on the Greens to come on side, but if it happens and has calling for indyref 2 immediately in the manifesto, it would fair stir things up a bit.

I've been away from the Motherland for 1 year now and maybe a wee bit out of touch with political opinion in Scotland. 

What would be the chances of a decent result for the SNP in a snap election? Can anyone be seriously considering voting Tory or Labour given the current state of affairs by their gurus in Westminster?

3 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

When the UK splits up we are due our share of nukes, roughly 20. We can sell them to mother Russia and use the cash to pay off any restive natives from the wee weather box in the corner of your tv. Another option is to point the 20 warheads at Alistair Carmichaels house as a deterrent to any lying lib dem voting vikings

Or we could just give them back to Norway and be done with it

13 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I've been away from the Motherland for 1 year now and maybe a wee bit out of touch with political opinion in Scotland. 

What would be the chances of a decent result for the SNP in a snap election? Can anyone be seriously considering voting Tory or Labour given the current state of affairs by their gurus in Westminster?

In any other country in the world, they would take the election by storm. But this is Scotland, a country where a huge chunk of the population base their politics, their religion and their arseholery on the football club they follow.

46 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Going on polling SNP support is up.