When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

38 minutes ago, strichener said:

Youbreallynwent to the bother of taking a picture in a shop of the price of alcohol so that you could make a point on P&B.  What a sad life.

You must be a real winner in life if you consider that much of an effort. Ljsl9nQ.png

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

How much bother do you imagine it was to him? I can retract my phone from my pocket, open the camera from the lock screen and press the button within about 3 seconds.

I did take 2 pictures, to be fair. It probably took nearer 5 seconds. 

I'm absolutely knackered after all that effort.

2 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Yep, I'm sad enough to believe that I should offer up some proof instead of making unsupported assertations. Certain other posters would do well to follow my example instead of making up sh*te.

Were you already in the supermarket or did you go out specifically to do this? Walk us through the events. 

2 hours ago, strichener said:

Youbreallynwent to the bother of taking a picture in a shop of the price of alcohol so that you could make a point on P&B.  What a sad life.

If you were a quarter of the man he is, you'd be twice the man you are. And that still makes you an eighth of a very impressive man. And thats not my opinion, thats fractions

16 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Were you already in the supermarket or did you go out specifically to do this? Walk us through the events. 

I left my work around 5:50, picked up Mrs Gilp from her work around 5:55 and was in the supermarket before 6. Lochgilphead's just a wee highland village after all. I took the photographs while she was deliberating over the yoghurts (ooh er!)

We had homemade chicken , leek and cheese pie for tea. I walked the dogs in the pissing rain while she cooked.

My life's just a whirlwind of excitement.

Edited by lichtgilphead

6 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

I left my work around 5:50, picked up Mrs Gilp from her work around 5:55 and was in the supermarket before 6. Lochgilphead's just a wee highland village after all. I took the photographs while she was deliberating over the yoghurts (ooh er!)

We had homemade chicken , leek and cheese pie for tea. I walked the dogs in the pissing rain while she cooked.

Sounds amazing tbh. I had to work in Brechin until 7pm. 

Think yourself lucky. 

Thank you. [emoji120]

20 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

So, where do I start with this? This will be a long post, so theres a TL:DR summary at the end.

Firstly, you suggest that I "distort quotes to make a point". You'll not find any quotation marks in my previous post, because I paraphrased what you had previously said, rather than directly quoting from numerous quotes.

I used <<text>> to indicate that I was paraphrasing. Had I quoted you, I would have used "text".

Secondly, I would remind you that your original allegation said (and I quote the relevant part with emphasis) "What I’m not happy about is paying extra tax or £5 more for a bottle of whisky than someone in Carlisle"

I pointed out that a standard sized bottle was 700 ml. You replied "It was a 1 litre bottle I was referring to earlier"

I could go into tedious detail about the UK Weights & Measures Act and prescribed spirits quantity legislation, but I'll just content myself with pointing out that the bottle you're referring to is nearly 43% larger than a standard bottle. Accordingly, I feel completely justified in referring to it as a "really big bottle" when comparing it with a standard UK bottle.

With regard to your point about rural places hiking prices, I would make 2 points. Firstly, this has absolutely nothing to do with the minimum alcohol prices set by the Scottish Government, and secondly, that you are talking nonsense again. As I previously showed, a 1 litre bottle of Bells costs £19.50 from Tesco Online in England. I said that they would charge £20 in Scotland and offered you a bet. I note that you showed no interest in taking me up on that bet.

I've not been in the Lochgilphead Tesco in the last couple of days, but have been in the local Co-Op. Here's my proof that you can get a litre bottle of crappy Bells or Co-op own brand Scotch for £20. The picture was taken earlier tonight.

I would also point out one more fact. If a litre bottle of whisky was priced at £15 in Carlisle, that would mean that the VAT exclusive price would be £12.50. (£12.50 +20% VAT + £15.00)

The excise duties on a litre of 40% ABV whisky are currently £11.50. That means that your £15 bottle of whisky costs £1.00 before tax. That includes manufacturing, storage, bottling, transporting & the producer & retailer profit margins. That doesn't seem to be a sustainable business model to me.

So, to conclude, I think that I've demonstrated quite conclusively that £20 bottles of whisky in Lochgilphead cost £19.50 in Carlisle, not £15 as you have previously claimed

TL:DR: AyrExile is talking sh*te

20190219_184610.jpg

Firstly if I had made the point about everybody in Scotland paying £5 more then you are quite right to pick the most common bottle size. My original point came from a advertised  price difference which I had been shown a few months back. The £20 is also specifc as its floor level on pricing for that size. 

I appreciate living in Lochgilphead that the world doesn’t extend past Ardrishaig and you might not get as much choice however the bumpkin pricing looks fair.

On doing some further digging it would appear Aldi Carlisle are selling a beautiful  1l bottle of Highland earl scotch for £14.99. As you are clued up on weights and measures it would be good to let me know how much this would cost today if Aldi opened a Lochgilphead branch? Also noticed Sainsbury’s had a £16 bottle, which admittedly is £1 more than my original gripe but shows that even the larger supermarkets will head down towards that price. After you pointing out that I was a liar then I didn’t expect to see pricing near this level.  I’m sure it would interesting to dig even further into bulk pricing of multipack cans etc and highlight further injusticies and punishment the hard working scots face. 

Being an expert in retail pricing I’m surprised the  ‘loss leader’ concept seems unfamiliar. Supermarkets will sell their most popular products near cost to drive people into the stores and hope they buy other items whilst there. 

Keep sending the photos. It’s nice seeing the fun ways people spend their evenings

Edited by AyrExile

Firstly if I had made the point about everybody in Scotland paying £5 more then you are quite right to pick the most common bottle size. My original point came from a advertised  price difference which I had been shown a few months back. The £20 is also specifc as its floor level on pricing for that size. 
I appreciate living in Lochgilphead that the world doesn’t extend past Ardrishaig and you might not get as much choice however the bumpkin pricing looks fair.
On doing some further digging it would appear Aldi Carlisle are selling a beautiful  1l bottle of Highland earl scotch for £14.99. As you are clued up on weights and measures it would be good to let me know how much this would cost today if Aldi opened a Lochgilphead branch? Also noticed Sainsbury’s had a £16 bottle, which admittedly is £1 more than my original gripe but shows that even the larger supermarkets will head down towards that price. After you pointing out that I was a liar then I didn’t expect to see pricing near this level.  I’m sure it would interesting to dig even further into bulk pricing of multipack cans etc and highlight further injusticies and punishment the hard working scots face. 
Being an expert in retail pricing I’m surprised the  ‘loss leader’ concept seems unfamiliar. Supermarkets will sell their most popular products near cost to drive people into the stores and hope they buy other items whilst there. 
Keep sending the photos. It’s nice seeing the fun ways people spend their evenings

Hardworking Scots get free prescriptions and tuition. Hardworking Scots can also afford to buy booze.

It's a classic P&B tactic used by wee fannies who have no counter argument or comeback to claim that even the tiniest bit of effort means that the person responding to them is some sort of sad act who needs to 'get a life' and is 'obsessed'. 

They've basically had a bit of a telt and can't take it so try to discredit the poster instead of replying to the point(s) made.

34 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It's a classic P&B tactic used by wee fannies who have no counter argument or comeback to claim that even the tiniest bit of effort means that the person responding to them is some sort of sad act who needs to 'get a life' and is 'obsessed'. 

They've basically had a bit of a telt and can't take it so try to discredit the poster instead of replying to the point(s) made.

I have been told that I am inventing facts and talking shite about paying £5 more for a bottle of whisky in Carlisle. Currently minimum pricing in Scotland for 1 litre of whisky is £20. The link below shows a similar size can be purchased for £15 down south. Not really sure what classic P&B tactic your own post falls under 

https://www.aldi.co.uk/highland-earl-scotch-whisky-1l/p/053149237381601?gclid=CjwKCAiAkrTjBRAoEiwAXpf9CST9_rtfYex3nrD4hXPSCXykeBjRYUKPvKnq4lNEgAusYpuVf9y9sBoCEeQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Playing the man and not the ball is never a good look on a public forum buddy [emoji6]