When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Presuming any court case would seek to establish the sovereignty of the Scottish people, I would have thought a court could conceivably turndown the demand for another referendum, based on the fact that there had been insufficient showing of what the clear sovereign will was.

Surely then a digital covenant is the way forward. Not the half-arsed attempts by various bloggers and the SNP so far.

When 50 percent of electorate + 1 has registered their support of independence, why bother with a referendum. It would be over to the courts to name our independence day.

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 hours ago, Kuro said:

And you'd be in the exact same position scotgov are in right now, there was.nothing to lose. 

With in Scotland the people being sovereign not the monarch or the parliament, and the Scottish parliament (which voted for a referendum) being the only body on the planet directly elected by the Scottish people, I think you'd be pretty much guaranteed to win unless the judiciary was nobbled.  Its also a breach of the act of union and also the un convention on human rights to deny one.

legally its a slam dunk and at worst you're in the same position you're in now.

2014 also set a precedent too, it was a guaranteed win if they took it to court.

One of the guaranteed consequences of a Tory majority will be a sustained and brutal attack on the powers of the Scottish parliament. 

Tories in Scotland will work hand in hand with Westminster to make sure that all real devolved powers are reduced, withdrawn or annulled....and that will include making sure that any legal challenge from the Scottish parliament in regards to a 2nd referendum will be doomed to fail.

They'll suspect that a majority of Scots will either support them in this, or not really give a shit one way or another. 

And they might be right.

30 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

One of the guaranteed consequences of a Tory majority will be a sustained and brutal attack on the powers of the Scottish parliament. 

Tories in Scotland will work hand in hand with Westminster to make sure that all real devolved powers are reduced, withdrawn or annulled....and that will include making sure that any legal challenge from the Scottish parliament in regards to a 2nd referendum will be doomed to fail.

They'll suspect that a majority of Scots will either support them in this, or not really give a shit one way or another. 

And they might be right.

Sadly I agree with every word of this.

The Tories will refuse a further Referendum and there is nothing the Scottish people will do about it.

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

And they might be right.

Totally agree, and this is possible because we don't have a Scottish media, we have an English media projected into Scotland that not only will fail to hold them to account, but will.actually aid in the process and be complicit.

Edited by Kuro

Surprised there hasn’t been more talk of WM refusing a section 30 but going ahead and legislating directly for a referendum. That would allow them to gerrymander the franchise as they please while not giving the SNP the ammunition that outright rejecting a referendum would generate.

21 hours ago, Donathan said:

Surprised there hasn’t been more talk of WM refusing a section 30 but going ahead and legislating directly for a referendum. That would allow them to gerrymander the franchise as they please while not giving the SNP the ammunition that outright rejecting a referendum would generate.

Not sure Westminster taking control of the referendum for Scotland being independent from, erm, Westminster would be a winner, really.

Loved the term 'the Trident scrapping lunatic' to describe my suggestion of getting rid of weapons of mass destruction from Scotland.

A couple of citations on GERS figures and the famous £12.6 billion black hole btw..

The temptation … is for users to take the results of this type of analysis [ie GERS] and then to generalise the implications, either through time, or to different possible constitutional arrangements. Such a generalisation however, should not be attempted without examining how robust the results are likely to be in the face of changing circumstances. In particular, how robust are the conclusions of GERS likely to be in the face of major constitutional change.

It seems to us that the results of a GERS type analysis are highly conditional on specific constitutional arrangement, and are therefore unlikely to be generalisable in the face of constitutional change.

....political economist Professor Richard Murphy said that GERS is “not a meaningful account [of Scotland’s true financial position], but is just a political stunt.”

And from the Fraser of Allender institute:

If the very purpose of independence is to take different choices about the type of economy and society that we live in, then a set of accounts based upon the world today will tell us little about the long-term finances of an independent Scotland.

But hey, its £12.6 billion regardless.

Edited by Jedi

2 hours ago, Colkitto said:

We are inferior to these people. We couldn't survive without them. Sadly people in Scotland still really believe this shit!

I watched that last night (usually quite enjoy Newsnight tbf) and was pissing myself laughing. I’m pretty sure the program must hunt down the most brain dead stereotypes that they can in order to make some good tele.

3 hours ago, Londonwell said:

I watched that last night (usually quite enjoy Newsnight tbf) and was pissing myself laughing. I’m pretty sure the program must hunt down the most brain dead stereotypes that they can in order to make some good tele.

How can some Unionist type who's lived in Scotland all their life watch that and still not want to show these deluded twats what we can do.

I think it's laughable that they think we can't survive without them as I seriously worry where they will plug the 2 holes of Brexit and us leaving from.

No doubt the English poor will be effected whilst the rich get richer.

16 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

No doubt the English poor will be effected whilst the rich get richer.

They'll take the American approach to it. If you are poor, it will be your fault for not working hard enough to be rich.

3 hours ago, Londonwell said:

George Orwell, where art you at this hour ?  First you make them uneducated and then you make them compliant.

We tend to sneer at the MAGA grotesques in the US, whilst overlooking the millions of dumbfucks hiding here in plain sight.

6 hours ago, Londonwell said:

I really doubt it. 

They are among us.

Has anyone come up with a credible alternative if Westminster don’t grant a Section 30?

Its all very well us howling that’s “undemocratic” and “unsustainable” etc but the cold, hard fact is they could refuse us one until the end of time

What are the genuine alternatives?

I only ask as not a hope in hell are a Tory majority government giving Nicola a Section 30