When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

822 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

A terrific turnout on a wintry January day in Inverness for our Freedom March, well done to the thousands who attended from all over Scotland and a Thank You to the front leaders, Ian Blackford, Drew Hendry, John Finnie and Lesley Riddoch who regaled us at the end with rousing spirited speeches, to see the ordinary folk of our country, some in wheelchairs, give so much to the cause is humbling and makes me proud to be a Nationalist.

Alba saor in aisce

It was a great afternoon in Inverness, really impressed with the numbers walking, plus lining the streets too.

Is the right to call Indyref2 a reserved or devolved matter? What about Brexit? When you know those two things you'll have your answer.    

The problem is that legally it needs to be tested - does sovereignty in Scotland lie with the people (as many legal opinions will argue) or does it lie with Parliament (the Diceyan theory position)?      

The one thing that both groups of legal experts do agree on is that the courts will almost certainly need to be involved.

The reason for that lies squarely with contradictions between existing Scots Law and the rights of the English Parliament (British Parliament after the Act of Union) established by the Bill of Rights in 1689 and the Act of Settlement in 1701.

As Ad Lib has pointed out before, no-one really knows as it hasn't been tested.

Jim Telfer thoughts on indyIMG_20200126_123301.thumb.jpeg.226041159f6480bceab350e5296aa7b6.jpeg
Well said Jim. Hopefully his beliefs may rub off on some of the uber unionists players. I remember growing up Scott Hastings was one of my favourite players but hearing his frothing mouth hatred of a progressive Scotland on eve of referendum changed my opinion of him for good

Well done to Phil Webster who supplied the Drone camera services and also taped interviews post march, Phil is a Londoner living in Scotland and is committed for and to the Independence movement.
A poll last week among Scottish Labour party members showed that 77% percent would support an Indendence 2nd referendum. 

Multiple CLPs will hopefully be tabling motions to back another referendum over the following months. I think mine will be doing so during the nominations for the next leader next Sunday. I’ll probably say something.

The EU had no legal right to stop the UK having a referendum and then leaving.
The two situations are completely different.
Also, not everyone who votes SNP wants independence. Quite a few do not.
The unionist argument is there's no mandate because a majority didn't vote for indy supporting parties. Basically implying that EVERY person that voted Labour, Lib Dem and Tory are no voters.

They can't have it both ways.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Actually that could easily become reality but it's not imminent.

There are SNP members who want to remain in the UK, those who are prepared to wait for a few years and then you have the absolute rockets who want a UDI before we've established international legitimacy. The problem for the SNP is holding all these factions together if Indyref2 is delayed beyond say a decade.

Conceded that there may be a few SNP voters who do not back independence but vote SNP for tactical reasons.

But......

😂I really do not think there will be many SNP members who want to remain in the UK. 

Also, I do not think that there are too many who wish UDI declared now.

It is more a nuclear option should polls show a consistent majority for independence and the Westminster executive continue to play fascist.

5 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:

Malky on the verge of tears, seething etc that the SNP keep winning elections. Glorious stuff.

Eh?  It's almost 4 years since the SNP 'won' an election and, even then, didn't have enough seats to form a majority government.

Edited by The_Kincardine

8 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

From discussions overheard yesterday it is probable that the SNP will now seek a second referendum in the courts, bearing in mind that we will still be under EU Jurisdiction until December this year it will most likely  be that initial proceedings will take place in Scottish courts with simultaneously a further appeal to the EU court.

What would the basis of an appeal to the ECJ be?  "We lost a referendum so the UK's government must have breached EU law"?  This is just fantasyland thinking but comes as no surprise.

So how were you garbed-up yesterday, Sandy?  Glengarry and trews or the whole Jimmy bunnet and kilt?  Did you get your photo taken?

What would the basis of an appeal to the ECJ be?  "We lost a referendum so the UK's government must have breached EU law"?  This is just fantasyland thinking but comes as no surprise.
So how were you garbed-up yesterday, Sandy?  Glengarry and trews or the whole Jimmy bunnet and kilt?  Did you get your photo taken?

These photos do the independence movement no favours at all.

I take it the new Malksoft strategy is to just keep spamming the thread and starting new accounts until the mods just shut the whole Politics subforum down? He had an entire page to himself a few days ago.

Still some gold to glean, however - when did the whole "P&B has threatened to kill me!" thing start up? That's almost as good as the desperate pleas for P&B to start a republican army so nutters can finally have some proof of the terrible violence at the heart of the evil Nationalist movement.

1 minute ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I take it the new Malksoft strategy is to just keep spamming the thread and starting new accounts until the mods just shut the whole Politics subforum down? He had an entire page to himself a few days ago.

Still some gold to glean, however - when did the whole "P&B has threatened to kill me!" thing start up? That's almost as good as the desperate pleas for P&B to start a republican army so nutters can finally have some proof of the terrible violence at the heart of the evil Nationalist movement.

If that happens a number of regular posters on here who have engaged with obvious trolls rather than ignore them would have to accept responsibility.