Biggest lie on your CV

BFTD

Everyone has the occasional fabrication on their CV, even if it's just to cover up the gap in employment from that summer you spent smoking camel dung in Marrakesh. But what's the biggest lie you've told, or have seen/heard that someone else has told? Bonus points if you/they managed to get the job.

Boring, but mine's just the mandatory 'Profile' section. Enthusiastic, hard worker seeks challenge? Idle slob needs regular payments into bank account, more like. This, and the 'Hobbies' section, are such a waste of time. A'body knows the former is shite (unless the applicant's a bored millionaire), and nobody gives a toss about the latter. Worse, having an active private life would be anathema to a business; surely they'd rather read, "I'm utterly obsessed with making money for my employer and have no time for frivolities like fun".

Oh, this could encompass worst CVs you've seen too, although there might be a thread for that already...?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never told lie on a CV but on the interests section I listed hillwalking. I genuinely do like hillwalking but apparently this is a common lie on CV's. The interviewer was a keen hillwalker and so grilled me about it. I reeled off some of my favourite walking and climbing routes and we were basically high fiving before the end of the interview

Probably mine is my claim to be a certified camanachd association coach (I've done 2 courses) but no bugger over here has a clue what it means, pretty irrelevant for teaching jobs I admit, but looks good.

I didn't need a CV to get my job. A couple of online tests and the 'interview' was merely to check I had the right qualifications. No questions asked.

I had to make one up a few weeks ago though when applying for a new job and I really struggled with it. Never included a hobbies section, because I don't have any outside going to the football and getting pished. I always assumed that employers didn't really give a f**k about that part of a CV. Included all of the generic shite about how I've gained valuable skills which I'm keen to develop, etc. I also put that hard worker spiel in there as well, although I do work pretty hard when I'm working because it passes the time quicker - but I doubt it counts for much on a CV because everyone has it in there.

i once completed the equal opportunities section station stating I was a homosexual Jew. I got the job and on my first day, I over heard my new team leader at the time, taking my paperwork over to her boss and saying "oh look, we have never had one of them before"

I had a giggle to myself. I am neither.

Not got any lies on my CV as such, but I am adept at twisting what is there to suit the profile of any job I apply for.

All those years working call centres and attending sales course after sales course have turned me into a convincing bullshitter.

My recollection of the reasons why I left a job / the job ended and how this is represented on my CV and the companies records of the reason for leaving / end of employment may show how people remembering events can be amazing different.

I read somewhere recently (probably P&B) about a reference on a CV which read "The greatest mind of their generation".

I can think of at least one P&Ber who'd put that down as their self-profile :P

My recollection of the reasons why I left a job / the job ended and how this is represented on my CV and the companies records of the reason for leaving / end of employment may show how people remembering events can be amazing different.

Ah, the old "fell foul of obscure office regulations/caught pissing in a plant pot" dichotomy :lol:

I lie about my sex.

Bigger or smaller?

There's bound to be some Spud-esque character who's included their enormous wang in the 'Skills' section.

I've not played in ages tbh. Mainly because it's not the kinda game where you can minimise the browser when someone approaches then continue your game when they're gone.

Unlike this game: http://gabrielecirulli.github.io/2048/

And this one: http://www.dicewars.co.uk/

Archived