The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

I should clarify that it's part of a broader annoyance with the almost total lack of knowledge of - and therefore presumably interest in - the lower reaches from BBC presenters and pundits.

You wouldn't expect them to have intimate knowledge of the set-up... but if they're getting paid by the national broadcaster they should ensure basic understanding of the key arrangements. For example - it's pretty clear most of them don't understand how the playoff works, or where Cowdenbeath go if they're relegated (this is 5yrs into the pyramid), or where Kelty are even at.

Sportsound getting tied in knots recently about how could Cowdenbeath play in HL if Cove came up was excruciating.

Edited by HibeeJibee

12 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Sportsound getting tied in knots recently about how could Cowdenbeath play in HL if Cove came up was excruciating.

most of the Sportsound presenters would struggle to find Cowdenbeath and Cove on map 

1 hour ago, ajwffc said:

most of the Sportsound presenters would struggle to find Cowdenbeath and Cove on map 

Sportsound went down a blind alley with regard to Cowden on Saturday. There was a whole conversation about how they might be moving in with Kelty Hearts next season to save money...only nobody had any idea where Kelty was, and whoever was on location offered to ask some of the locals to find out  :lol:

A bit of an over-simplification from the BBC. Sure, it’s the only result that absolutely guarantees they don’t go down automatically, but they also stay up don’t go down automatically if Ross County don’t beat St Johnstone.

58DDA97B-86F1-4FA4-AAEB-2AFA8796D402.thumb.jpeg.4c81a40d14b44334cd62e9ff30e683fe.jpeg

Edited by The Master

On 06/05/2018 at 18:24, HibeeJibee said:

You wouldn't expect them to have intimate knowledge of the set-up... but if they're getting paid by the national broadcaster they should ensure basic understanding of the key arrangements.

I would, it's their job.

5 minutes ago, RiG said:

In a stunning turn of events Rangers are apparently weighing up a move for John McGinn just as Rangers get ready to face Hibs.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-target-john-mcginn-steven-12514283

Has Keith Jackson ever used a single quote in any of his stories ever?

Literally anyone could write exactly what he wrote in about 10  minutes sat on their sofa.  It’s a load of conjecture.

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Has Keith Jackson ever used a single quote in any of his stories ever?

Literally anyone could write exactly what he wrote in about 10  minutes sat on their sofa.  It’s a load of conjecture.

It's a laughable article. Even more so when you remember it comes from the supposed Runner Up Sports Journalist of the Year.

On Thursday, May 03, 2018 at 00:13, tree house tam said:

I know a guy who lives in Perth but is originally from down south, he's a right racist bigoted c**t and due to ties with the far right he met a few Hearts fans and now goes to almost every game. Folk from Perth will probably know who I'm on about.

Who's this?

On a Friday afternoon ahead of a big weekend of sport including playoff games, the final round of fixtures in the premier league, two European rugby finals (including one this evening) and Formula 1, the BBC's headline story is an interview with a Liverpool player.

Screenshot_20180511-175310.png

On 06/05/2018 at 18:24, HibeeJibee said:

I should clarify that it's part of a broader annoyance with the almost total lack of knowledge of - and therefore presumably interest in - the lower reaches from BBC presenters and pundits.

You wouldn't expect them to have intimate knowledge of the set-up... but if they're getting paid by the national broadcaster they should ensure basic understanding of the key arrangements. For example - it's pretty clear most of them don't understand how the playoff works, or where Cowdenbeath go if they're relegated (this is 5yrs into the pyramid), or where Kelty are even at.

my friend wants to know if its ok to not understand how the pyramid works or what the difference is between junior and senior, so long as he's not a journalist.

49 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Tell your friend:

"within reason" ;).

your reasonsble response made my friend feel guilty about not caring so he looked it up and apart from not knowing exactly where  56. 2458 degrees is, understands the salient points. after 25 minutes. for no remuneration.

Edited by coprolite
beer and fat fingers