The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Scotland's closing friendly is June 2nd. Celtic's first CL qualifier is July 11th - but their first serious opposition will be July 25th.

They could happily give their Scotland internationals 4 weeks off entirely, have them back for 2 weeks preseason and another 2 before facing someone half-decent?

Their foreign internationalists will be away considerably longer.

This Celtic posturing really is disgusting.

Initially, I thought the story might be a bit of a tabloid invention, but it's not.  Rodgers really does believe that Scotland should do everything to aid his club.

He should receive censure for his disreputable remarks, but he won't.  He's treating the game in which he earns a handsome living, with utter contempt.

This Celtic/Scotland story just got featured on Reporting Scotland and I'm speechless at its tone.

Clearly, we were meant to side with Rodgers as this was held up as another SFA blunder.  It's absolutely incredible.  Thank Christ we didn't do anything daft like qualify for the World Cup.  I don't know what Celtic would have done.

Had Michael O'Neill been appointed Scotland manager this week, these friendlies would have been trumpeted as a great chance for the new man to see his players in action for the first time and make his mark, or some similar nonsense. Instead, it's another chance to get stuck into Reagan. There's plenty of ammunition already without manufacturing some crisis.

Was there this much problem when Scotland headed to Asia in 2002 under Vogts and 2005 or 2006 under Smith when we won the mickey mouse cup?  Wasn't there a summer friendly in the US a few years ago? Don't remember this much outcry then.

Part of me wonders if journalists have taken the huff because, due to cutbacks, they've been told they can't go to Mexico and Peru.

15 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This Celtic/Scotland story just got featured on Reporting Scotland and I'm speechless at its tone.

Clearly, we were meant to side with Rodgers as this was held up as another SFA blunder.  It's absolutely incredible.  Thank Christ we didn't do anything daft like qualify for the World Cup.  I don't know what Celtic would have done.

Not to mention Rodgers patronising tone about how we should all be helping celtic qualify for the CL with the payments other clubs get.

I don't particularly mind Celtic looking after number 1, Rodgers job is Celtic manager, just spare me the notion that Celtic are trying to benefit the whole country.

12 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Not to mention Rodgers patronising tone about how we should all be helping celtic qualify for the CL with the payments other clubs get.

I don't particularly mind Celtic looking after number 1, Rodgers job is Celtic manager, just spare me the notion that Celtic are trying to benefit the whole country.

Yeah, that bit was especially maddening.

I do have a problem with Celtic looking after number 1, when they're already so grotesquely advantaged and much more reliant on all the other numbers than the b*****ds ever recognise.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yeah, that bit was especially maddening.

I do have a problem with Celtic looking after number 1, when they're already so grotesquely advantaged and much more reliant on all the other numbers than the b*****ds ever recognise.

He also said that the champions league money makes up 'almost all the revenue' for some clubs.

I don't have the numbers to hand but that seems an utterly farcical statement gone unchallenged.

ETA - Rodgers anger should be directed towards UEFA not the SFA.

UEFA have created a monster in the CL, with diddy countries having to start their season in June in order to chase the horribly distorting finances that the CL brings.  

Edited by Dons_1988

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yep - the payments the other clubs get while Celtic pocket the real money (for enduring their routine humpings from bigger clubs) and widening the gap to the other teams year on year. 

I've never really paid much attention to Rodgers - but after watching his way of working after our league cup semi win over Rangers and then during the 3 games in a week we had against Celtic - he's an arrogant, patronising arsehole. He doles out his pearls of wisdom from his position as the holder of the easiest job in the league to the media who are operating at a level of fawning sycophancy not see since Walter was on the scene. I'm looking forward to the inevitable meltdown when Celtic hit a minor rough patch.

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

Yep - the payments the other clubs get while Celtic pocket the real money (for enduring their routine humpings from bigger clubs) and widening the gap to the other teams year on year. 

I've never really paid much attention to Rodgers - but after watching his way of working after our league cup semi win over Rangers and then during the 3 games in a week we had against Celtic - he's an arrogant, patronising arsehole. He doles out his pearls of wisdom from his position as the holder of the easiest job in the league to the media who are operating at a level of fawning sycophancy not see since Walter was on the scene. I'm looking forward to the inevitable meltdown when Celtic hit a minor rough patch.

Absolutely spot on.

He's an outright shit of a man.

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

Absolutely.

The mask has slipped as soon as things don't all go his own way.  He does not like his methods being challenged and anyone who does he disregards as someone not knowing anything about football.  Seemingly it doesn't matter how many times his side get absolutely horsed in Europe, his methods are the correct way of doing things.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

He also said that the champions league money makes up 'almost all the revenue' for some clubs.

I don't have the numbers to hand but that seems an utterly farcical statement gone unchallenged.

Yet of course, it does go unchallenged and becomes the wisdom spouted subsequently by simpletons.

Even if the rest of the clubs got £5m each for Celtic making the CL (and of course the actual figure is a tiny, tiny fraction of that), it would mean that relatively, they were very much worse off as the already richest side gets over £20m, in a context in which the idea is that the teams compete with each other using things ie people, that cost money.

Football finances can only sensibly be considered relatively, yet people like Rodgers like to detach them, when it suits, from  context and point to them in absolute terms.  All part of a dishonest and self serving agenda, in which the complicit media play a role.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yet of course, it does go unchallenged and becomes the wisdom spouted subsequently by simpletons.

Even if the rest of the club's got £5m each for Celtic making the CL (and of course the actual figure is a tiny, tiny fraction of that), it would mean that relatively they were very much worse off as the already richest side gets over £20m, in a context in which the idea is the compete with each other using things ie people, that cost money.

Football finances can only sensibly be considered relatively, yet people like Rodgers like to detach them when it suits from  context and point to them in absolute terms.  All part of a dishonest and self serving agenda, in which the complicit media play a role.

Unfortunately some club chairmen view it in the same way.

Many (including Aberdeens chairman) have no real interest in challenging Celtic, it's all about keeping the lights on as opposed to creating a competitive environment.

They then seem confused when fans want more from their club than to just be a business focused only on staying afloat.

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Absolutely.

The mask has slipped as soon as things don't all go his own way.  He does not like his methods being challenged and anyone who does he disregards as someone not knowing anything about football.  Seemingly it doesn't matter how many times his side get absolutely horsed in Europe, his methods are the correct way of doing things.

The mask slipped for me when he was so keen to play up the financial gulf between his side and Europe's big guns, yet was still dismissive of the idea that a similar gulf exists domestically.

A dreadful man.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Unfortunately some club chairmen view it in the same way.

Many (including Aberdeens chairman) have no real interest in challenging Celtic, it's all about keeping the lights on as opposed to creating a competitive environment.

They then seem confused when fans want more from their club than to just be a business focused only on staying afloat.

Milne is another despicable individual.

That's surely a long established fact.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Milne is another despicable individual.

That's surely a long established fact.

He is.

Re-affirmed before Xmas when he stated, as we sat above Rangers in the league, a club who had just tried to poach our manager, that "we all want to see Rangers get back to their full strength"

Ludicrous.

He is.

Re-affirmed before Xmas when he stated, as we sat above Rangers in the league, a club who had just tried to poach our manager, that "we all want to see Rangers get back to their full strength"

Ludicrous.

If you’re going to use a quote in a post, at least use one that was actually said. I feel for you if you think that anyone at Aberdeen has no interest in challenging Celtic. It’s one thing wanting to challenge, and another doing it. You seriously think that Milne wouldn’t like to win the league?

ETA - Rodgers anger should be directed towards UEFA not the SFA.

UEFA have created a monster in the CL, with diddy countries having to start their season in June in order to chase the horribly distorting finances that the CL brings.  

Was there not a widely quoted sum of £250k per club thrown around not so long ago?

Absolutely.

The mask was always there. It always is with people who take a job at Celtic or Sevco because you have to be a certain kind of person (a c**t) when you take a job at either club. We saw it with McCoist who had managed to create a persona of being a fun, bubbly type of guy before he was revealed as a bitter, bigoted bag of shit.

Murty will soon be unmasked as well.

5 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

If you’re going to use a quote in a post, at least use one that was actually said. I feel for you if you think that anyone at Aberdeen has no interest in challenging Celtic. It’s one thing wanting to challenge, and another doing it. You seriously think that Milne wouldn’t like to win the league?

"We all want to see a strong Rangers, we need that for Scottish football, and the sooner they fill their vacancy and get a good manager in and strengthen the whole set up, that's in the interests of Scottish football."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42294146

I didn't say no one at Aberdeen has an interest in challenging Celtic.  I said some chairmen do act like that. The above is a quote from our own chairman.  Why on earth would he publicly state that he wanted our closest rivals to be as strong as possible?