The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

4 hours ago, House Bartender said:

I don't know if this has been referenced before... But it's the expected BBC Scotland view of the world.

In the online "Live Reporting" (usually a fair bit behind the real world) every top tier goal is proclaimed loudly and clearly. Very clearly in the case of two clubs, who are given the great distinction of having the goal scorers picture overlaying the club colours. For the rest of us it's generally the right colours, but players images? Nah. Lazy? Biased? Incompetent? Wind-up? BBC.

Goal.jpg

Actually, you're wrong.  They have players for other teams.

7FC1BBBE-03E9-402A-AF20-3A663B0D54A9.jpeg

B9E62107-59CF-4921-9ECD-A6DB543CB14D.jpeg

BBDCBF44-F83C-456E-8301-85B14B1CFBB8.jpeg

How many times does it happen in football? Well it certainly didn't happen in this game.
Also, is Shaw-shank Redemption meant to be a pun of some sort?
image.thumb.png.9fe6e155e4c47cea3b7f04eba1c1ce73.png
Editor "Ok, looks good. I take it theres some sort of redemption arc here? Like, did he leave in acrimonious circumstances aye?"

Reporter "Well... naw but it has Shaw in it, and his name is Shaw, and am wanting to go and watch the Celtic game."

One from a long time ago, but the BBC ripped a Scotland National Team video, stuck a large BBC Sport logo on it for the duration and only briefly showed the original source in the corner at the start.

They went to some effort to obfuscate the origin of the video and pass it off as their own. Any respectable journalist would have just retweeted it.

7 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Editor "Ok, looks good. I take it theres some sort of redemption arc here? Like, did he leave in acrimonious circumstances aye?"

Reporter "Well... naw but it has Shaw in it, and his name is Shaw, and am wanting to go and watch the Celtic game."

The need to jam in puns always annoys me. Puns are of course utter shite and the vast majority are low brow garbage written by and for morons, but jamming them in where they don't even fit is compounding things.

I see no reason why they can't just report things without puns. It must be an editorial decision.

10 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I think the editors have very loose control (i.e. don't give a f**k) these days and those producing the output think they're far more clever than they actually are.

Almost all pun users think they are far more clever than they are.

22 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Almost all pun users think they are far more clever than they are.

I've always assumed the point of puns is, "look at what my fucking brain just did to me - no way am I letting you lucky b*****ds get off without experiencing it too".

Perhaps @Zen Archer Esq. can confirm.

15 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

The need to jam in puns always annoys me. Puns are of course utter shite and the vast majority are low brow garbage written by and for morons, but jamming them in where they don't even fit is compounding things.

I see no reason why they can't just report things without puns. It must be an editorial decision.

It’s often the preserve of idiots imo.

Oooft.

0P2St78A_x96.jpg&key=380e6a2544f365c5ef8094829ffe10aac2dc709e201a560ff02e8b3987448cbb   Glasgow Times   @Glasgow_Times   EXCLUSIVE: Shane Duffy has been one of Celtic's BEST stars this season and Dubai was correct call, says John Barnes https://glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/18988728.shane-duffy-one-celtics-best-stars-dubai-trip-correct-call-says-john-barnes/ Eq_HabUXAAEuKZB?format=png%26name=900x900&key=e34baec575f1f46432b8cce495bc54cd5204ec4f186044295c6714b40af8f75d
And he wonders why he doesn't get management roles??

What annoys me is that the papers and online media think that Barnes has any kind of knowledge of Scottish football just cause he managed for a few months over 20 years ago.

Anyone claiming that Duffy has been anything other than an utter car crash at Celtic should be laughed out the building. Given the money he is reportedly on and the importance of this season, he's surely got to go down as one of Celtic's worst signings in the last decade or so?

6 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Oooft.

0P2St78A_x96.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: Shane Duffy has been one of Celtic's BEST stars this season and Dubai was correct call, says John Barnes https://glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/18988728.shane-duffy-one-celtics-best-stars-dubai-trip-correct-call-says-john-barnes/

I don’t know what’s the wrongest part of all of that.

6 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Oooft.

0P2St78A_x96.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: Shane Duffy has been one of Celtic's BEST stars this season and Dubai was correct call, says John Barnes https://glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/18988728.shane-duffy-one-celtics-best-stars-dubai-trip-correct-call-says-john-barnes/

Even Shane looks confused about it.