The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

10 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68006183

Nick McPheat trying to be funny, explaining "tinpottery" and hastily throwing together some crowdwanking and stale tales - before us fans get to vote on the "Ten Biggest Clubs".  Top quality licence-fee funded content!

At least he admits the topic (and by extension, his article) is 'Tedious, boring' as early as the second line, so readers know to move on, sharpish.

42 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

At least he admits the topic (and by extension, his article) is 'Tedious, boring' as early as the second line, so readers know to move on, sharpish.

I dont think it’s too bad. 

As you say it sets the tone for it, then turns something very tedious into a set of semi interesting statistics, and whether you like it or not there’s quite a chunk of sad b*****ds out there who love having the big club debate. 

On 08/02/2024 at 12:22, VictorOnopko said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68006183

Nick McPheat trying to be funny, explaining "tinpottery" and hastily throwing together some crowdwanking and stale tales - before us fans get to vote on the "Ten Biggest Clubs".  Top quality licence-fee funded content!

This kind of thing is a bit of fun in a forum like this during a long close season when we're all bored

but  right now there's real football happening and they are the  BBC

We  should treat that poll with the respect it deserve and try to rig it to make Arbroath come out on top

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

4 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

This kind of thing is a bit of fun in a forum like this during a long close season when we're all bored

but  right now there's real football happening and they are the  BBC

We  should treat that poll with the respect it deserve and try to rig it to make Arbroath come out on top

I had Arbroath as 10th. 

Jonathan Sutherland thinks it will be interesting to see how Aiden McGeady gets on against Rangers tomorrow.

Good to know that he pays f**k all attention to the championship games he covers all season seeing as anyone who does would know that McGeady is unlikely to play more than 10-15 minutes.

More Old Firm centric bollocks from the BBC.

On 08/02/2024 at 06:33, lennyzer0 said:

We all know that, somehow, two weegie teams will end up “joint top”, despite one only being 12 years old.

I find it so annoying when the BBC reveal a result before a game is played - this is from 15 mins prior to kick off of Airdrie v Hearts

The full quarter-final draw

• Greenock Morton v Airdrieonians
  • Celtic v Livingston
  • Aberdeen v Kilmarnock
  • Hibernian v Rangers

1 hour ago, Caledonian1 said:

I find it so annoying when the BBC reveal a result before a game is played - this is from 15 mins prior to kick off of Airdrie v Hearts

The full quarter-final draw

• Greenock Morton v Airdrieonians
  • Celtic v Livingston
  • Aberdeen v Kilmarnock
  • Hibernian v Rangers

Given the half time score I’m quite chuffed with this tbh 

On 07/02/2024 at 11:42, kennie makevin said:

It's lack of ability that has held back Scottish football and rugby for decades. Nothing to do with intrinsic self loathing. And Tom English is from the Republic of Ireland which, like all countries is both good and bad but is in no way a failed 'statelet'. That schoolboy error rather summed up the O Grade Modern Studies simplicity of your argument.

If you look at the Scotland squads for the 1974,1978,1982 and 1986 football world cups it certainly wasn’t lack of ability that held them back

Odd video.

If it's the story of this guy's journey to the cup final, then where is he? Was he even at the game?

Is it the story of Aberdeen v Bonnyrigg then what's different from the Sportscene highlights?

1 hour ago, Dunty said:

Odd video.

If it's the story of this guy's journey to the cup final, then where is he? Was he even at the game?

Is it the story of Aberdeen v Bonnyrigg then what's different from the Sportscene highlights?

Is he just going to random games, and not following a team all the way through, so win or lose doesn't make any difference, he'll just go to another random game in the next round. Aye fucking weird, like a glory hunter just latching onto the winner of each game as if that's the team he supported all the way to the final.

Oh and the wording for this,  "Aberdeen overcomes Bonnyrigg Rose", real giant killers there.😂

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

25 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Aye fucking weird, like a glory hunter just latching onto the winner of each game as if that's the team he supported all the way to the final.

I can get on board with that tbf, we were going to give it a bash this season and chose Broxburn for the 1st Round, couple decent games and knocked out by Buckie; then fully prepared to go wherever they were in the 4th Round but couldn't bring myself to go to Parkhead so just went to the Livi game instead. Maybe give it a proper go next season.

4 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

I can get on board with that tbf, we were going to give it a bash this season and chose Broxburn for the 1st Round, couple decent games and knocked out by Buckie; then fully prepared to go wherever they were in the 4th Round but couldn't bring myself to go to Parkhead so just went to the Livi game instead. Maybe give it a proper go next season.

Aye you could end up following an ugly sister to the final, and having to sit in with their fans. Also might get your head kicked in celebrating the other team scoring against them.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

1 hour ago, LiviLion said:

You could have just pretended to go like the BBC boy clearly has done.

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Is he just going to random games, and not following a team all the way through, so win or lose doesn't make any difference, he'll just go to another random game in the next round. Aye fucking weird, like a glory hunter just latching onto the winner of each game as if that's the team he supported all the way to the final.

Oh and the wording for this,  "Aberdeen overcomes Bonnyrigg Rose", real giant killers there.😂

I think you're massively over-thinking this one.

People do that in the FA Cup and Scottish Cup every season. Chance to go to new grounds, see teams you've never seen, have your future taken out of your hands etc.

Pick a first round (or first qualifying round) and just keep attendinf the winner's next tie. It's not glory-hunting, it's just watching games. Nobody's kidding on to support anyone.

I like the idea of it, but I'm not keen to commit to it for a season.