Partick Thistle Vs Kilmarnock: Saturday 15 August 3:00pm

Saturday presents both clubs with the chance to claim their first victory of the season. Thistle will hope to build on our decent defensive displays so far and hopefully see that as a platform to create chances and even score a goal or two.

Killie didn't seem to have their troubles to seek following an opening weekend thrashing and a one sided defeat at Pittodrie. However they will travel with a degree of confidence after their players discovered they were clever enough and had enough speed of thought to snatch a point from Celtic.

Thistle started a tough game at ICT with a strong looking team and depth on the bench. We created chances but couldn't seal the deal in terms of goals.

Surely we can address that issue on Saturday against a somewhat porous KFC team who have shipped 8 goals in three games, allbeit two of which were against last years Champions and runners-up?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair to say this game is giving me a reasonable amount of the fear, I know Obadeyi was injured last night but Killie could probably stick him on the wing in a wheelchair and he’d still score against us, whatever one of Boyd / Magennis plays love a goal against us too, and of course Higginbotham coming back with his confidence up after that penalty last night isn’t ideal.

Our counter to that is Stevenson I suppose, bring him in for Welsh if Doolan is replacing Pogba, no to Stevenson up front please. I think we’ll break our goalscoring duck but this looks like a tousy 1-1 draw to me.

Well it's pretty clear that if Archie plays Stevenson up front, we'll get a draw at best. Shame for him, because he's wasted up there. He's not a bad player, but he's not a very good striker.

It can't be worse than the last time Killie came to Firhill...can it? :unsure2:

Killie have been extremely lucky against Partick since you came back up. At Firhill we've managed to take draws we didn't deserve and even the win at the end of last season was a fairly even game but we just, (to quote John Collins), were a bit cleverer on the day. In fact, I think we've only really outplayed you once which was the 3-0 at Rugby Park.

I do believe that Killie have a slightly better squad but we, (last night aside), have looked terribly disjointed. It should be fairly even.

1-1 for me I think.

Will be interesting to see how we do after that great result. Despite last night we still have alot to do, first would get rid of Hamill looks 2 stone overweight and is so slow. If Ashcroft is ok would keep him at the back and bring in O'Hara for Hamill. Also Boyd should hopefully start despite the good Magennis performance.

My team would be

MacDonald

Smith Ashcroft Connolly Westlake

O'Hara Robinson

Kiltie Boyd McKenzie

I hope no home fans give Higgy stick. You just know it'll be like him v Motherwell again, running absolutely riot and getting right up a few permaseethers.

Certain people booed Gary Harkins when he returned with Dundee despite him being the best player we'd seen in years at Firhill and who netted us a pretty decent transfer fee. Higgy will definitely get some abuse, which worries me because, as you've alluded to, he plays his best football when he's wound up.

MacDonald

Smith Ashcroft Connolly Westlake

O'Hara Robinson

Kiltie Boyd McKenzie

Robinson and Ashcroft are both doubts for the weekend, so Findlay in for Ashcroft and O'Hara for Robinson looks the most likely line-up. I'd love to see Splaine start as he's been impressive in his two run-outs so far, but would worry about he and O'Hara being the central pair. Hurry up Craig Slater.

I'm cautiously optimistic after Celtic last night, and we do have the team on paper to beat Thistle... However I'll go for 2-2, Higginbotham and Boyd for us, Pogba and Stevenson for Partick.

Archived