By election updates

Mr Rational

5 hours ago, Sooky said:

It's started! A Lib Dem telling me that this result shows that the country don't want Brexit. A 70% Remain voting - average house price of £1m - constituency is representative.

And at next weeks Sleaford and North Hykeham by election the winners will be declaring that this will be a vote for "Brexit means Brexit".

Menwhile Zak can spend more time with his inheritance and have lots of time to think about how to wash clean the public memory of his hugely racist mayoral campaign and get back into public life. 

5 hours ago, Sooky said:

It's started! A Lib Dem telling me that this result shows that the country don't want Brexit. A 70% Remain voting - average house price of £1m - constituency is representative.

The story is that the vote seems to have been an effective vote on the party/ the candidates stance on Brexit. Extrapolate that across the country and theres a few MPs not looking too comfortable, particularly remain labour MPs in the north of england.

9 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

nd theres a few MPs not looking too comfortable, particularly remain labour MPs in the north of england.

Entertain us. Tell us which MPs are not looking comfortable after the well healed London seat of Richmond Park voted against a racist millionaire?

And at next weeks Sleaford and North Hykeham by election the winners will be declaring that this will be a vote for "Brexit means Brexit".

Menwhile Zak can spend more time with his inheritance and have lots of time to think about how to wash clean the public memory of his hugely racist mayoral campaign and get back into public life. 

2016 hasn't been a great year for Zac, has it? Went from being an eco-friendly, fairly independent, Tory who most people quite liked into someone who effectively ran a racist mayoral campaign and lost his seat.

Though I don't blame him for holding a by-election. He promised he would years ago if this happened and fair play, he stuck to it - ego driven, or not.

13 minutes ago, Sooky said:

2016 hasn't been a great year for Zac, has it? Went from being an eco-friendly, fairly independent, Tory who most people quite liked into someone who effectively ran a racist mayoral campaign and lost his seat.

Though I don't blame him for holding a by-election. He promised he would years ago if this happened and fair play, he stuck to it - ego driven, or not.

I said previously that had he simply not campaigned at all I probably would have voted for him.

It was a terrible campaign to run in London.

10 minutes ago, BerwickMad said:

Labour had more members in the constituency than voters apparently. Says a lot.

Losing to the Tories and Lib Dems in the south and UKIP/Lib Dems in the north. Corbyn is an absolute disaster.

Turnout was down about 36% from 2015, so pro rata Labour's vote would be 4669 this time. In reality it was 1515. Are you really judging Corbyn on 3000 Labour voters tactically going for the only candidate likely to win?

Pretty funny result. 

21 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Blaming Corbyn because Labour voters tactically voted to get a Tory out.

Minter.

12 minutes ago, Paco said:

Turnout was down about 36% from 2015, so pro rata Labour's vote would be 4669 this time. In reality it was 1515. Are you really judging Corbyn on 3000 Labour voters tactically going for the only candidate likely to win?

Pretty funny result. 

Anything to blame corbyn,cmon ladz get with the programme

With apologies to Monty Python Scripts

Dead Party

The cast:

MR. PRALINEJohn Cleese
SHOP OWNERMichael Palin

The sketch:

A customer enters a party shop.

Mr. Praline: 'Ello, I wish to register a complaint.

(The owner does not respond.)

Mr. Praline: 'Ello, Miss?

Owner: What do you mean "miss"?

Mr. Praline: (pause)I'm sorry, I have a cold. I wish to make a complaint!

Owner: We're closin' for lunch.

Mr. Praline: Never mind that, my lad. I wish to complain about this party what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique.

Owner: Oh yes, the, uh, the Labour Red...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?

Mr. Praline: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's dead, that's what's wrong with it!

Owner: No, no, 'e's uh,...he's resting.

Mr. Praline: Look, matey, I know a dead party when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.

Owner: No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable creature, the Labour Red, idn'it, ay? Beautiful colour!

Mr. Praline: The colour don't enter into it. It's stone dead.

Owner: Nononono, no, no! 'E's resting!

Mr. Praline: All right then, if he's restin', I'll wake him up! (shouting) 'Ello, Mister Party! I've got a lovely fresh policy for you if you show...

Owner: There, he moved!

Mr. Praline: No, he didn't, that was you hitting the box!

Owner: I never!!

Mr. Praline: Yes, you did!

Owner: I never, never did anything...

Mr. Praline: (yelling and hitting the box repeatedly) 'ELLO PARTY!!!!! Testing! Testing! Testing! Testing! This is your nine o'clock alarm call!

(Takes party out of the box and thumps its head on the counter. Throws it up in the air and watches it plummet to the floor.)

Mr. Praline: Now that's what I call a dead party.

Owner: No, no.....No, 'e's stunned!

Mr. Praline: STUNNED?!?

Owner: Yeah! You stunned him, just as he was wakin' up! Labour Reds stun easily, major.

Mr. Praline: Um...now look...now look, mate, I've definitely 'ad enough of this. That party is definitely deceased, and when I purchased it not 'alf an hour ago, you assured me that its total lack of movement was due to it bein' tired and shagged out following a prolonged shriek.

Owner: Well, he's...he's, ah...probably pining for the wards.

Mr. Praline: PININ' for the WARDS?!?!?!? What kind of talk is that?, look, why did he fall flat on his back the moment I got 'im home?

Owner: The Labour Red prefers keepin' on it's back! Remarkable creature, id'nit, squire? Lovely colour!

Mr. Praline: Look, I took the liberty of examining that party when I got it home, and I discovered the only reason that it had been sitting on its bench in the first place was that it had been NAILED there.

(pause)

Owner: Well, o'course it was nailed there! If I hadn't nailed that creature down, it would have nuzzled up and VOOM! Feeweeweewee!

Mr. Praline: "VOOM"?!? Mate, this creature wouldn't "voom" if you put four million volts through it! 'E's bleedin' demised!

Owner: No no! 'E's pining!

Mr. Praline: 'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This party is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the bench 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PARTY!"

Your intention was good, DeeTillEhDeh, the delivery unfortunately sucked.

Anyway, it's the LibDems that have always been known as the Dead Parrot Party due to their logo.

Back on topic, there's far too much being extrapolated over the Richmond Park result.

The Lib Dems were the only organised party machine fighting the by election in a seat they once held & the truth is failure to take the seat against an independent with no party machine (and it has emerged little local organisation worth talking about) would have been the final nail in their coffin.

Having been given a free hand by Labour (who have a long history of token campaigns in seats where Liberals stand a chance of unseating Tories) and the Greens, and the by-election being turned into a localised poll over Brexit in a strong Remain area, really there was no way that thing which looks like one of the growly vamps from the old Buffy The Vampire Slayer series ought to have lost - & I suspect the Tories behaviour (warning local party members on the QT of the consequences if they campaigned openly for Goldsmith) wanted one of their own taught a lesson about what happened should you try rebelling against HQ.

Already Olney is proving to be a complete disaster, her party obliging her to flounce off in a huff in the middle of a radio interview a mere three hours after being elected.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/12/listen-julia-hartley-brewer-trolls-sarah-olney-second-election/

Next week's by election will be interesting purely from the point of view the Flip Flops will not only have to fight UKIP again, but the strong Lincolnshire Independents, whose candidate Marianne Overton took 3,806 votes (6.4%) in 2010 and 3,233 (5.2%) in 2015, & of course a proper Labour by election machine anxious not to finish third behind UKIP. A disastrous result for the Fibbers will put matters nicely back into context.

Edited by WaffenThinMint

1 hour ago, Loondave1 said:

I've listened to the Olney radio interview and if that tone and level of aggressive questioning had been used on a new SNP MP there would have been an outcry.I thought it was awful and I'm not keen on the Lib Dems.

It was Talk Radio with a seasoned journalist - what did she expect, Lorraine Kelly type fluffy bunny questions about who she thought was going to win Strictly?

It was a standard question raised since the EU referendum (what defines a legitimate mandate & what does not) & one she ought to have had a prepared answer for, that she did not & had to be rescued by her agent is beyond pathetic.