By election updates

Mr Rational

Incredible coverage by the MSM; Labour “scrapping” a result despite increasing their majority on a significantly lower turnout.

The MSM probably wanted a Brexit Party win for the news coverage they could squeeze from it.

Farage sneaked out the back door a few minutes before the result was declared.  He’s a little rat.

14 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

So it looks like the brexit party will cigar the Peterborough by election today. Seems strange that Farage didn't stand in this one and try influence from Parliament?

Imagine you getting this wrong!  I am shocked!!

In fairness the Brexit Party were heavy favourites so it's not just him that's got it wrong. 

Some good news, anyway. 

Sounds like John Redwood said he was hoping The Brexit Party would win it, albeit I couldn't read the article as it's behind the Torygraph paywall. If it's true then surely he should have his whip suspended like Heseltine has and be unable to vote in the leadership election? 

Guest Bob Mahelp

Lovely to read the despair in the right-wing rags this morning, as they begin to realise that their beloved Brexit Party is just a carbon-copy of UKIP.....good at gathering the protest vote in meaningless EU elections, but seen as too extreme to support when the big elections come around.

I didn't even bother checking for the result this morning, I had presumed that the Brexit Party would romp home given the publicity they've had. 

That's their bubble burst. If they can't win a place like Peterborough under current circumstances, then their chances of being the party to 'destroy the old way of British politics' are absolutely zilch.

F*ck you Farage. Away and crawl back under your stone. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Incredible coverage by the MSM; Labour “scrapping” a result despite increasing their majority on a significantly lower turnout.

The MSM probably wanted a Brexit Party win for the news coverage they could squeeze from it.

Farage sneaked out the back door a few minutes before the result was declared.  He’s a little rat.

Get it right up him.

If the brexit party can't win in Peterborough in these circumstances can they win anywhere?
All very well winning a pr election but not much evidence that they can break the FPTP system.

Although they didn't win I'm sure the brexit party won't be to despondent.

1. It's clear that Torys would have won if they commit to Brexit and leave EU. Tory plus brexit vote more than 6k above labour. Cue more hard brexit rhetoric.
2. Less chance of Corbyn backing a second referendum.

39 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

It's a very good result for Boris Johnson's leadership hopes. 

It would have been better for him if Brexit had won. A hard Brexit isn't quite as popular as he's been making out, even in a constituency that voted over 60% to Leave.

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, welshbairn said:

It would have been better for him if Brexit had won. A hard Brexit isn't quite as popular as he's been making out.

Perhaps, but they did enough to further panic Tory MPs, especially in marginals, into thinking that he is their best, possibly only hope of keeping their jobs. 

4 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Perhaps, but they did enough to further panic Tory MPs, especially in marginals, into thinking that he is their best, possibly only hope of keeping their jobs. 

If Boris gets into the top 2 and out to the members then he's a near certainty to win. But if he tries to force a hard Brexit Parliament will almost certainly force a VONC leading to a General Election, I think it would only take 3 Tories to rebel, and he's hugely unpopular amongst the wider electorate. Here's hapless Rory's take.

https://twitter.com/RoryStewartUK/status/1136905185534631937

Just now, welshbairn said:

If Boris gets into the top 2 and out to the members then he's a near certainty to win. But if he tries to force a hard Brexit Parliament will almost certainly force a VONC leading to a General Election, I think it would only take 3 Tories to rebel, and he's hugely unpopular amongst the wider electorate. Here's hapless Rory's take.

https://twitter.com/RoryStewartUK/status/1136905185534631937

Aye, I agree with you. I think some Tory MPs are stuck in c. 2012 when it comes to Johnson, but his popularity has plummeted since then. Even when he was the most popular politician in the UK, people still had doubts about his fitness to be Prime Minister, so I'm not sure electing him now and banking on voters rejecting Labour because they have similar doubts about Corbyn is the wisest strategy. If anything, they would voluntarily be eroding the one advantage they should be desperate to maintain.