Scotland vs Polska

jagfox

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't want to see us go out with a wimper, much rather see us at least have a good go at them. I,m understand were not blessed with great goalscorers but I do think an attacking midfield wise is our strongest area.

So you're now back-tracking on your ludicrous defence always loses "FACT"? I'm assuming you're meaning the Georgia game as "going out with a whimper", given that's the only one I can really see coming anywhere near close. As I said elsewhere, we weren't defensive in that one, we were just shit, as we ironically came up against an ultra-defensive, well-organised side. If you'd come in and said "I just want Scotland not to play shit, and actually play well", then I could have agreed with you.

Defending will always be foremost in our minds when we play better teams. If we go toe-to-toe with those teams, we will lose. The only thing we need to learn how to do is deal with ten men behind the ball, or teams set out to frustrate us. We are laughably bad at dealing with that. And funnily enough, the solution to that isn't just "attack, attack, attack"

Aye, maybe you're ri...

torres_2202365b.jpg

168190-tony-watt-teenager-scored-an-83rd

McFaddenGoalSDM_468x304.jpg

Naw, wait, you're talking absolute pish again.

jose-mourinho-allenatore-inter.jpg

I was thinking of that Inter-Barcelona game as well. That's the one I always use as an example in these cases.

Yes, it's very risky to invite pressure for 90 minutes but it's completely incorrect to say it never works.

I was thinking of that Inter-Barcelona game as well. That's the one I always use as an example in these cases.

Yes, it's very risky to invite pressure for 90 minutes but it's completely incorrect to say it never works.

Yeah, not for a moment saying that we should, but then we don't really. If someone thinks we have, then what games exactly? If they say Georgia, they're wrong for reasons I've already outlined, and if they say Germany...well, any more attacking and it certainly wouldn't have been 3-2, no matter what gear Germany decided they needed.

Chris Martin is the worst player I have ever seen pull on the Scotland shirt, He looks about 4 stone over weight, has touch like.... welll he dont have a touch. He is an absolute Cart Horse.

We blew our chances in Georgia by going out to not lose the game, Scotland make the same mistakes every qualifing event. We were playing Georgia FFS, a game that if we won this Poland match would be to qualify. So for the manager to SHITE it playing so defensive against a 3rd rate team the blame firmly lies at him.

We dont have to play 4-5-1 every fecking game, its defeatist, WGS has blown our best chance in over a decade by bottling it when it mattered.

Were left with a slim chance of 3rd place, and we all know whats coming WGS will play so defencive to not lose against poland and bottle it.

There's so much wrong with that it's not real, but I'll start by pointing out Scotland very rarely - if ever - play 4-5-1. And formations are not inherently attacking anyway.

Watching for over 30years , Chirs Martin hands down worst I ever seen

I'll name you Scott Dobie for starters. Chris Martin isn't even the worst striker in the current squad, let alone worst player. I suggest you are either 1. trolling, which would be a very odd way to go about doing things as Chris Martin isn't exactly Mr. Popularity or 2. Utterly clueless.

Guest DAVIDB69

Watching Derby v Burnley at the moment Chris Martin isn't the mobile of players , yet will get in the squad and will no doubt get game time.

Johnny Russell looks reasonably mobile will get in the squad but won't be anywhere near game time , perhaps a more attacking creative player is what we need.

However I still don't think the standard in the championship is particularly high, it's certainly not good enough for the business end of international football.

I still feel strachans selection policy is what stops us making much progress , unless you play for Celtic you cannot get in a squad.

Not saying non Celtic players are any better from spl than what we have but we don't know until we try and these same players we are picking are failing tournament after tournament .

There is no exclusive selection policy from other Celtic nations and they are all closer to qualifying than we are

Ah. Usually it's someone wanting Mark Reynolds called up.

Which non-Celtic SPFL player are we missing out on, exactly?

At a stretch, Greame Shinnie. He probably deserves a shot at this point.

In all honesty, I'd be happy seeing less Celtic players at this point. James Forrest is a waste of space. We have better midfielders than Scott Brown who are all a lot less likely to do something stupid in the heat of the moment. I will concede with Brown that generally he has performed well for Scotland though. I just believe we have better options. I love Leigh Griffiths for his spell with Dundee but he isn't good enough for international level. Craig Gordon should be between the sticks every game unless injured from here on out. Don't think it's even debatable that he is the best keeper we have.

The attitude of "you have to play for Celtic" in fans eyes is a well known one, but coupling it with saying that you don't think the Championship is a particular good league is baffling. If that isn't good, then what does that make our Premiership?

Guest DAVIDB69

The attitude of "you have to play for Celtic" in fans eyes is a well known one, but coupling it with saying that you don't think the Championship is a particular good league is baffling. If that isn't good, then what does that make our Premiership?

I'm guessing you didn't watch Derby v Burnley last night the standard was attrocious. Russell to be fair looked about the only creative outfield player on the park.

I'm not saying spl is particularly great but it's a myth that the championship is of any great standard. It's a myth that the media and Strachan perpetrate to justify the overloading of the squad with players from this league.

My point being that the standard of player in this league is of no way good enough to take us to major championships

I'm guessing you didn't watch Derby v Burnley last night the standard was attrocious. Russell to be fair looked about the only creative outfield player on the park.

I'm not saying spl is particularly great but it's a myth that the championship is of any great standard. It's a myth that the media and Strachan perpetrate to justify the overloading of the squad with players from this league.

My point being that the standard of player in this league is of no way good enough to take us to major championships

So one match was bad? Well that's me convinced.

But I totally agree, we shouldn't be calling up loads of players from the Championship. I mean, it's not as if they're the best players we have available to us for their position, is it? There's stacks of English Premier League players waiting in the wings too. Oh, wait, yes they are, and no there isn't.

The Championship is a better standard than the Premiership in Scotland. Easily.

Their players play for the likes of Sevilla, Ajax, borussia Dortmund, bayern Munich

well we know who our players play for

Aye, right enough. Ajax only got a 1 goal worse result against Celtic than Aberdeen did. Total world beaters man.

David, what would Gordon Strachan have to gain from perpetuating a myth about the quality of the Championship? Does he have shares in Sky Bet? Why would the non-Murdoch media play along?

Above all, why would Championship sides buy players from Scotland (as many have done) for actual legal tender who aren't as good as the ones left behind in Scotland without international recognition?

If you have to rely on a literal conspiracy theory to justify the Scotland team selection, you owe us an essay.

All he does is score goals...Poland can't afford to play him.

Agreed. If he was doing it at SPFL Premiership level for a non-Celtic team I'd take a look at him though.

Archived