IndyRef2

Crùbag

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the poor big bad Westminster... the evil of the world scotland is so suffering.............

if scotland wanted true independence that is out of both Unions

If Scotland wants out of both unions it has to leave the incorporating one and then it can, as a a sovereign state, decide on membership of the supranational one. Not exactly a difficult concept.

We've got a belter here I see.

Britain being strangled by an undemocratic European union but the same twisted logic doesn't apply to Westminster.

We might be victims of mob rule when it comes to Westminster, but that applies ten fold when it comes to the EU.

Panelbase have a poll in the Sunday Times today. With Don't Knows etc excluded the result is:

Yes - 47(-2)

No - 53 (+2)

The report also says that a majority of those polled said that if the vote in the EU referendum is to Leave then they think a second independence referendum should be triggered.

We've got a belter here I see.

Britain being strangled by an undemocratic European union but the same twisted logic doesn't apply to Westminster.

i hate westminster and the EU both are useless and not what people want but i see both as bad as each other while scottish hate is just focused on westminster

Panelbase have a poll in the Sunday Times today. With Don't Knows etc excluded the result is:

Yes - 47(-2)

No - 53 (+2)

The report also says that a majority of those polled said that if the vote in the EU referendum is to Leave then they think a second independence referendum should be triggered.

i agree with this but if scotland votes to stay is it done then? or will SNP still threaten it everytime they dont get what they want.

We might be victims of mob rule when it comes to Westminster, but that applies ten fold when it comes to the EU.

SNP claim to want Independence but true independence is not staying in either UNION

Even if there is a no vote in the EU Referendum, I still reckon the SNP would be daft to attempt another in the next parliament. Obviously it depends on the exact figures for Scotland - if it's something preposterous like 75%+ in favour of staying and the UK leaves they could be confident of that turning into an Indy Ref win, but if it's narrow I doubt they're going to be able to bat away the 'What happened to once in a generation?' argument with 'Massive change in circumstances' to the extent that enough No voters would be persuaded, and if they were to hold one in 2020 and lose again then it's not going to happen for decades.

They'd be much better to respond to a No vote with a manifesto pledge for the 2021 election that they'd hold another in that parliament - then even if the political landscape has changed somehow and they don't win an outright majority then, it's less damaging to the long-term prospects for independence than another referendum defeat.

As an aside, unlikely as it is I'd love to see the lovebombing we'd get from rUK if the EU vote is so tight that Scotland swings it in favour of staying after England votes to leave. Would have to be ridiculously close in England for that to happen but it would be hilarious.

Even if there is a no vote in the EU Referendum, I still reckon the SNP would be daft to attempt another in the next parliament. Obviously it depends on the exact figures for Scotland - if it's something preposterous like 75%+ in favour of staying and the UK leaves they could be confident of that turning into an Indy Ref win, but if it's narrow I doubt they're going to be able to bat away the 'What happened to once in a generation?' argument with 'Massive change in circumstances' to the extent that enough No voters would be persuaded, and if they were to hold one in 2020 and lose again then it's not going to happen for decades.

They'd be much better to respond to a No vote with a manifesto pledge for the 2021 election that they'd hold another in that parliament - then even if the political landscape has changed somehow and they don't win an outright majority then, it's less damaging to the long-term prospects for independence than another referendum defeat.

As an aside, unlikely as it is I'd love to see the lovebombing we'd get from rUK if the EU vote is so tight that Scotland swings it in favour of staying after England votes to leave. Would have to be ridiculously close in England for that to happen but it would be hilarious.

#projectfear works Scotland learned this

my ideal would be the Westminster parliament abolished , English parliament formed

but a joint defense program everything else is devolved to the parliaments , what im not in favor of its Tories having a majority with like 35% of the vote

So who should we base our independence on? Every nation in the world has a lack of independence in one way or another.

England should become a region of Germany and, subject to some limited devolution, be entirely dependent on Germany for funding handouts. They're not independent anyway so who could possibly object. And all other small countries should be hoovered up into a dependency conglomerate.

So who should we base our independence on? Every nation in the world has a lack of independence in one way or another.

a country not in a political anti Democratic union has more independence

I think Cameron is playing the Eurosceptics like a fiddle. I think the referendum will be a clear win for 'Remain'.

i disagree will be close ;p

The SNP should reserve the right to call a second referendum when they are absolutely certain they will win it. It's the same line the government took on bombing Syria.

sort of true ;p

I think Cameron is playing the Eurosceptics like a fiddle. I think the referendum will be a clear win for 'Remain'.

In what way playing them like a fiddle? The most high profile, public issue is that of benefits for migrants. He's not going to win that, in fact he'll get no concessions whatsoever and there will be nothing that he can do to hide that. The Eurosceptics will use that one 'failure' to rip him to shreds.

In what way playing them like a fiddle? The most high profile, public issue is that of benefits for migrants. He's not going to win that, in fact he'll get no concessions whatsoever and there will be nothing that he can do to hide that. The Eurosceptics will use that one 'failure' to rip him to shreds.

The awful scenes in cologne on hogmanay will help camerons cause

Archived