Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

Stuart McCall.

Looked like he would develop into a World beater when he was at Everton. Best player I'd seen since Socrates was coming through at Corinthians. Went to Rangers and it never quite happened. He had a good career but it never quite hit the heights I thought it would.

19 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Looked like he would develop into a World beater when he was at Everton. Best player I'd seen since Socrates was coming through at Corinthians. Went to Rangers and it never quite happened. He had a good career but it never quite hit the heights I thought it would.

mccall was fantastic at rangers, playing in scotland at the time probably lessened the attention he got, but for rangers he was an absolutely magnificent signing

9 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

mccall was fantastic at rangers, playing in scotland at the time probably lessened the attention he got, but for rangers he was an absolutely magnificent signing

Wee Stuart was magnificent.  Our best short ginger midfielder since Alex MacDonald.

Who?? Slider?? Come on to f**k. In the right team, very good. In the wrong one, a fucking liability. His European efforts prove this. 

I often criticised Broon's reluctance to bow at the feet of Nine in a Row personalities like McCall, Ferguson, Durrant, Robertson, Gough, Goram, McLaren and McCoist at the time, but his results ultimately proved him right, most of the time. Where i had an issue was his ignorance of the Hearts' quartet of Ritchie, Cameron, Hamilton and McCann ahead of wc98, given that shite like Gemmill, Elliott, Booth and Whyte etc got callups doing f**k all for nothing teams at the time. 

Norway, in Bordeaux, were asking to be ripped apart. Dailly led them a merry dance for twenty minutes from left-wing-back... ,....fuckin' Dailly!!! What would we have acheived with McNamara amd McCann on each  flank instead?? Burley through the middle, like he had played all year at Celtic so well?? We'll never know, but the 9nRO bunch had little part in any of it. 

Who?? Slider?? Come on to f**k. In the right team, very good. In the wrong one, a fucking liability. His European efforts prove this. 

I often criticised Broon's reluctance to bow at the feet of Nine in a Row personalities like McCall, Ferguson, Durrant, Robertson, Gough, Goram, McLaren and McCoist at the time, but his results ultimately proved him right, most of the time. Where i had an issue was his ignorance of the Hearts' quartet of Ritchie, Cameron, Hamilton and McCann ahead of wc98, given that shite like Gemmill, Elliott, Booth and Whyte etc got callups doing f**k all for nothing teams at the time. 

Norway, in Bordeaux, were asking to be ripped apart. Dailly led them a merry dance for twenty minutes from left-wing-back... ,....fuckin' Dailly!!! What would we have acheived with McNamara amd McCann on each  flank instead?? Burley through the middle, like he had played all year at Celtic so well?? We'll never know, but the 9nRO bunch had little part in any of it. 

Haha, that's my abiding memory of that game too - Dailly absolutely ripping them apart every time he roved fwd. We really should have won that game. An opportunity missed.

Did anyone here watch the Norway v Brazil game? I was obviously busy watching us get horsed by Morocco, but I remember being absolutely stunned that Norway won that. They'd looked really poor up to that point.

2 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Did anyone here watch the Norway v Brazil game? I was obviously busy watching us get horsed by Morocco, but I remember being absolutely stunned that Norway won that. They'd looked really poor up to that point.

Yet, we only got back in it when McNamara came on for Jackson, moving Burley inside to go on and score. Weir also replaced Calderwood. Despite that list of 1872 players i mentioned (albeit only three readily available at the time), those were perfectly good options. The three or four other Hearts players should have been taken, not just Weir. 

May be wrong about the exact numbers, but i'm.sure Olsen had Norway teetering on the brink of the top four around the time of the qualifiers......they beat Brazil the year before in a friendly, and their uncompromising style was nullified by both us and Morocco. Brazil had no fucking clue how to deal with it. Which brings me back to our selection.....wee tricky wide players like Neil and JM instead of a centre-half and a ball winning midfielder playing wide may have forced even a better result against the faltering Brazilians, and certainly changed Norway's approach. TA Flo got next to f**k all out of Hendry, and Weir stepped out of defence to create Burley's goal. They were there for the taking. Morocco, we can have no complaints about. The better side skelped us on the night. 

Aye, I'd forgotten that Norway turned out to have a surprisingly good record against Brazil; the press made a big deal out of it at the time. They've still only played four times, but Brazil are yet to win. Reminds me of when England played Sweden at the World Cup and everyone suddenly realised that England hadn't won since the Sixties, despite playing them regularly for decades.

I'd ask who our bogey team is, but I think we've got a few these days  :lol:

We havent won in Estonia since 1993 (played them twice after, and i'm including Monaco in that) only won in Lithuania once in four visits, lost twice in Georgia, and drawn twice in.four visits to the Faroes. Only places we have unblemished records to my mind are Iceland, Bosnia, Croatia, Latvia, Austria, Slovenia and if we're pushing it Belarus and Moldova. Haven't played the Finns or Cypriots competitively for two decades now. Everyone else of note has pumped us. 

Could've been. It was an afternoon game. I thought it was Hleb that scored past us but obviously not.

Belarus beat us 1-0 at Hampden and Hleb scored that was under Smith. Away from home was a 0-0 draw.

Macedonia was a roasting hot Saturday afternoon, lost 1-0, free kick effort that rebounded to one of their players for a tap in, 2008 for South Africa qualification