Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

7 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Raducanu wins the second set to force a decider but had a nasty fall on the third point of the final set. Not sure she will be able to continue here.

Went down with some clatter, court always seems to get a little greasy when the roof is closed.

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, pozbaird said:

The only blame I’d place on Raducanu is for agreeing to play the doubles with Andy in the first place. If anything, I blame Andy.

Very much this.

The criticism of Raducanu is ridiculous. She's had 3 years of injury nightmare, just one awful thing after another. She skipped the French Open to improve her chances of surviving the grass season. She's finally having a good run in a slam, and has played a relatively high amount of tennis to get to this point. It's incredibly unfair to expect her to risk her health for a nothing match.

Andy knew all this when they agreed to play together, he must have known there was a pretty high chance she'd pull out or be injured. Someone like Katie Boulter would have been a better bet. Or for maximum lols, Mirra Andreeva went out in the first round and she seems like a fan of his. Raducanu wasn't a good choice at all and I was surprised when it was announced.

Edited by GordonS

6 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Mirra Andreeva went out in the first round and she seems like a fan of his.

Andy alluded to coaching in his farewell interview and I just wondered if she was someone he'd already had some kind of discussion with. I think they've been fairly busy interacting with one another on social media 

4 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Andy alluded to coaching in his farewell interview and I just wondered if she was someone he'd already had some kind of discussion with. I think they've been fairly busy interacting with one another on social media 

She called him "beautiful". Kim will be worried if they start working together. 

1 minute ago, MP_MFC said:

Well, that was worth her pulling out of the doubles. 

Just think, she might just have been in with a chance of winning the mixed doubles. Never mind……

She was under dog in her previous matches, today she was expected to win. I just don’t think she has the experience to cope with the pressure. She almost looked like she was getting the excuses in before she won the 2nd set.

18 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Raducanu had 2 great wins leading into today. First match was a slog but she looked awesome in the other 2 wins. Sadly it looks like she was a flash in the pan regarding slam title wins

A bit too early to say this I think. She was out for almost a year in the 2023 season, and has been slowly trying to build this year. Winning 3 matches in a row at Wimbledon was as good as she's done this year, and the 2 matches prior to yesterday, plus a few other wins she's had suggest she's getting towards being a force in the women's game.

It's a question of her building towards coping physically and mentally to be able to sustain a run all the way in the slams. The next couple of years should give us a clearer picture. 

3 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

The decline of the big four and the lack of really good British players these days mean you get some shite games on centre court. 

We could have years of jannik sinner as thr highlight of a centre court schedule. 

Not sure I appreciated the Big Four enough now.

4 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

The decline of the big four and the lack of really good British players these days mean you get some shite games on centre court. 

Tbf Fritz v Zverev turned into a cracker with Fritz coming from 2-0 down to win in 5.

Possibly an unpopular opinion, but Kyrgios has been very good on commentary.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Possibly an unpopular opinion, but Kyrgios has been very good on commentary.

Was coming on to say the same, he's a divisive figure to say the least but he's broke the old order up a bit in coverage and it's nice to hear a refreshing voice and someone who's played the game recently rather than Henman being seen as the youngster when he last played 20 years ago.

Ash Barty offers similar but she's a bit more inclined to toe the party line and TBH I feel awkward as f**k about the way she's treated by the old guard McEnroe in particular, it's more than a bit creepy. 

Edited by parsforlife

7 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Was coming on to say the same, he's a divisive figure to say the least but he's broke the old order up a bit in coverage and it's nice to hear a refreshing voice and someone who's played the game recently rather than Henman being seen as the youngster when he last played 20 years ago.

Ash Barty offers similar but she's a bit more inclined to toe the party line and TBH I feel awkward as f**k about the way she's treated by the old guard McEnroe in particular, it's more than a bit creepy. 

What's he been saying?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

What's he been saying?

Just decent commentary TBF without the dancing around being worried about calling a shit shot shit that others do(he surprising hasn't actually used the word shit and has met the bbc don't say bad words terms)

My controversy point is more at what people think of him as a player and his actions or comments made in that context.

Edit-sorry just realised the bolded bit on McEnroe,  it's not any particular comment, but the hand round the back, the grabs on the arm etc, you see her eyes flinch in his direction in a WTF way, seems a the common combo of the a 'there there dear, now let the men talk' with a slice of 'I'm twice your age but still think flirting with you is appropriate'

Edited by parsforlife

2 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Just decent commentary TBF without the dancing around being worried about calling a shit shot shit that others do(he surprising hasn't actually used the word shit and has met the bbc don't say bad words terms)

My controversy point is more at what people think of him as a player and his actions or comments made in that context.

I meant McEnroe to Barty.