Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Disappointing result for Andy but he has a doubles match with Colin Fleming against L. Paes & R. Stepanek sometime today.

For his next singles match will be next week at the Cincinnati Masters where last year he got knocked out in the 3rd round against J. Chardy.

After that tournament is his defence of the US Open starting on 26 August.

andy+murray+wins+us+open+2012.jpg

I sometimes think that Murray doesn't mind going out early in these events anymore. He used to win them relatively regularly and treated them quite importantly, until the lack of a major win started becoming an issue.

Then it just seemed his whole calendar and schedule was devoted purely to maximising performance in those 4 events, which is correct in my opinion.

He will have seen this tournament as a decent enough early warm up for the US Open and nothing more.

He has a habit of going out early in one of the North American Masters 1000 events, then winning the next, he's done it with the Indian Wells/Miami double header, and also the Canada/Cincinnati one. But as Lex says, his mindset towards these events may be different now what with winning a couple of Slams; he'll ne intent on making sure he peaks for them now to add to his collection.

On the subject of Raonic, he appears to be doing a Nicolas Almagro; who got to world number 10 by virtue of winning loads of 250 events, there's no way he was the 10th best tennis player in the world. Raonic has never impressed me, just looks like another ball-basher with no plan B.

The draw fairly opened up for Raonic after beating Del Potro. Considering folk on here have tipped him to the a multiple GS winner, taking until almost 23 to reach a first big final isn't the way to go about it.

A. Murray & C. Fleaming beats R. Lindstedt & D. Nestor 6-3 6-0 in the Semi`s.

There will face A. Peya & B. Soares in the final tomorrow which will be getting played before the singles final .

Sky are showing the final live, 5.30 pm on SS4.

Watched the final on Sky and sadly it wasn't to be for Murray & Fleaming as they lost 6-4 7-6 (7-4) to Peya & Soares.

Cincinnati Masters is next for Andy which he will just play in the singles and for the draw he will play the winner from Gulbis v Youzhny.
So we could have a repeat from last week if Gulbis wins and I hope he does as it will be interesting to see them play each other again so quickly to see if Andy can get some revenge.

I am not overly convinced Gulbis will beat Youhzny. Gulbis has flattered to deceive all his career and rarely followed up a successful tournament with another successful tournament. Either way Murray will need a strong Cincinatti to fend off Nadal from claiming the No.2 seeding at US Open. Nadal having no points to defend and Murray defending 90, a semi final place will ensure Nadal stays No.3 irrespective of what Nadal does. Nadal should reclaim the No.2 spot after the US Open. Nadal looks a shoe in for the year end No.1 as well.

Nadal has been given a difficult draw, with him seeded to face Federer, Murray and Djokovic. I would love to see a Nadal Murray match before the US Open though. Federer could see his world ranking drop even further if he has a poor tournament. He won the title last year, so could see 1000 ranking points drop off Berdych has 90 points to defend, so an early Federer defeat would see him slip to sixth with Del Potro needing a QF place to potentially overtake him as well. Tsonga being out of action will see him maintain top 8 status. A drop out of the top 8 could potentially be disastrous. Meeting the likes of Novak, Murray or Nadal in the last 16 of tournaments could see him taking a long time to recover top 4 status.

Mackie MacDonald qualified for Cinci and he is unranked at World Level. He has played three futures matches and lost them all gaining $580 in prize money. He plays David Goffin in the first round tonight. No player has previously qualified for a Masters Event without never having a world ranking. On two occassions unranked players qualified but on each occasion they had been ranked at one point. He is 5/1 to beat Goffin. I think I will have a bit of that.

Goffin pumped him 6-1 6-1. I reckon Youzhny will get past Gulbis to set up a meeting with Andy. He's a more consistent player and pretty good on hard courts.

He was unbelievably erratic, double faulting for fun with the second serve being out further than the first serve. Goffin didn't have to do much to win at all. He conspired to lose his serve three times from 40-0 up and never won a point on Goffin's serve until the second set. Inexperienced and nervous throughout, showed some lovely hands at the net and hit some wonderful angled winners. His error count was catastrophic though.