Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

They play a Brazilian team in the first round as well. They should obviously win, but the crowd will be right behind them.

I can't wait for it to start, tbh. Will the match chat be in here or in a separate thread?

3 hours ago, Loki said:

Actually think it is an actual good move by the authorities to pick Andy Murray (after Wiggins declined).  I may be overlooking someone I have totally forgotten about but I think he certainly is the most well known British athlete.  Although I wouldn't argue against Mo Farrah being the flag bearer considering the Olympics is the pinnacle in his sport and that isn't the case in tennis.

Can't be arsed with opening ceremonies and thought the KO to London 2012 was dire (though a great games) BUT will stay up to watch it tonight...just to see Andy (deservedly) leading the British team.

Murray's out of the doubles.  Djokovic out of the singles.  Del Potro brutalised him with his forehand.  His wrist seems to be getting stronger as the chipped one handed backhand was used less frequently and he was going for the double hander backhand more often than not.

Since his injury return he has now beaten Wawrinka and Djokovic in big matches.  It is great seeing him back.

Yup. Just have to hope he doesn't keep that up as that was sublime. Do you think he'd have more than one slam if not for his injuries, Loki?

I wonder how much that defeat could harm Djokovic going forward from here in terms of his hunger and motivation?

Gutted for the Murray bros.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Del Potro win that one tbh. I reckon he'll be massively pumped up and just go for it in the forehand. A redlining JMDP is dangerous to anyone.

I love being right sometimes.

Was nothing in the Murray doubles match really, but I thought Jamie was poor given his status in the doubles game. His return of serve is dreadful, never has any pace on the return and just kind of floats it back anywhere. Not too bothered with going out as the doubles is so competitive that the chances of them winning another 4-5 matches like that for a medal were probably pretty slim. With Djokovic going out Andy can now focus on getting another gold with no distractions.

Just watched the Djokovic v Del Potro match. I think Djokovic wasn't able to play his natural game by continually hitting to the to the Del Potro backhand, rather than out-manoeuvring round the court. But then when he did go to the forehand he got destroyed. Delighted for Del Potro, has missed the prime of his career through injury so wouldn't begrudge him any victory. Avoiding him in the 1st round at the US Open is going to be like dodging a bullet for the top seeds.

Well a fully fit Del Potro is a better player than Wawrinka, and he has two slams. So he certainly could have had more. Having a fully fit Del Potro in the mix would mean that the bigger players could get beat earlier. He's definitely someone you want to avoid in the early rounds of the US Open.

His forehand has always been able to brutalise anyone. I didn't think Novak played the match very smartly, although I think he was surprised at how solid his backhand actually was.

If he can use the double handed backhand as frequently as he did vs Novak he's certainly a contender. Hopefully it holds up.