Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

That was some match, they battered each other out there. Del Potro's only chance was to go either 2 up or 2-1 up imo, even if he had managed to win the 4th set I think Murray would have taken the 5th quite easily. It's a shame cos he played some tournament, and I've have supported him over anyone else but Murray.

Del Potro certainly looks like he's going to be a big threat if he can get himself fully fit and stay that way. He could have won that in straight sets last night if he had been a bit fitter, was blowing after 3 games (one of those games lasted about 15 minutes though). Despite this he bossed Murray for long periods.

I used to really dislike him when he was younger but he has grown on me and developed a nice bit of sportsmanship over the years too. Unlike oor lad! ;)

Edited by Tommy Nooka

Del Potro certainly looks like he's going to be a big threat if he can get himself fully fit and stay that way. He could have won that in straight sets last night if he had been a bit fitter, was blowing after 3 games (one of those games lasted about 15 minutes though). Despite this he bossed Murray for long periods.

I used to really dislike him when he was younger but he has grown on me and developed a nice bit of sportsmanship over the years too. Unlike oor lad! [emoji6]

When is Murray anything other than a good sport? Only have to look at Davis Cup wins when he stopped the celebrations to comiserate with opponents.

Just now, dogmc said:

When is Murray anything other than a good sport? Only have to look at Davis Cup wins when he stopped the celebrations to comiserate with opponents.

I seldom see Murray congratulate his opponent after a well played point, it's usually all wailing and gnashing.

He's not a bad sport by any means but he's not very gracious during a game, Del Potro and Djokovic in particular will always acknowledge good play.

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Murray says 'yep' a lot during matches, which is his way of applauding good play.

I watched hundreds of Murrays matches and have never noticed this. :huh:

Most of the time when Murray loses a point he screams and shouts at his box so it would probably be quite hard to hear a 'yep'. :lol:

Edited by Tommy Nooka

1 minute ago, Tommy Nooka said:

I seldom see Murray congratulate his opponent after a well played point, it's usually all wailing and gnashing.

He's not a bad sport by any means but he's not very gracious during a game, Del Potro and Djokovic in particular will always acknowledge good play.

I get what you mean about Murray in that sense, although I don't recall Federer or Nadal applauding another opponent's point, unless it's some diddy that they know they'll beat and can get away with patronising. For Djokovic, I'd argue that his is just for show, as part of his 'desperately trying to get everyone to like me' act: he always does it right at the start of a match, when he still remembers, and once he gets into the flow of the match he's just as bad as Murray; berating his own poor play rather than applauding the opponent.

8 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I get what you mean about Murray in that sense, although I don't recall Federer or Nadal applauding another opponent's point, unless it's some diddy that they know they'll beat and can get away with patronising. For Djokovic, I'd argue that his is just for show, as part of his 'desperately trying to get everyone to like me' act: he always does it right at the start of a match, when he still remembers, and once he gets into the flow of the match he's just as bad as Murray; berating his own poor play rather than applauding the opponent.

Nadal and Federer are miserable cants on court too though.

Give me Djokovic or Del Potro over them any day. ;) 

They can all be a bit greetin' faced at times but at least you get a bit of light with those 2.

Murray is very sporting.  Although you seldom see him acknowledge a great shot, I have seen him concede points in vital parts of matches, in particular two incidents at the French Open two years ago.  He conceded a point on a break point on Gael Monfils' serve.  He also took exception to a time warning handed out to Novak in an encounter this year.

Djokovic is very sporting in defeat, but during a match that is very close you will not see him be as gracious.  The incident in Miami where he reached over to Murray's side of the net to play a point and he never conceded the point.

Anyway I thought yesterday was another example of Murray grinding down an opponent after absorbing all their attacking play.  Del Potro was exceptional and even his backhand was very good, certainly not as weak as it was on his return.  He is starting to play the double hander more, and hopefully that means his wrist is getting stronger every game.  Everyone will want to avoid him in the US Open in a couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Murray says 'yep' a lot during matches, which is his way of applauding good play.

I always thought that was him sarcastically praising himself when he hits a poor shot and the opponent punishes it.

I think Murray is very sporting, as Loki points out he's very fair during a match. I can't imagine him doing what Djokovic did in that Miami match which was utterly sly. I think he also shows this strong sense of fairness by his outspoken views on drug cheats and drug testing. He doesn't applaud good shots, but during the match he is focused on winning, I don't see why you'd give your opponent a boost by applauding their shots. Before and after matches he always shows a genuine respect for his opponents in a way that others don't. Fiercely competitive during the match and respectful outside of the match, the way it should be.

Confirmation that Juan Martin Del Potro has been given a wild card for the US Open.  Certainly is well deserved.  On the women's side Laura Robson also gets a wild card.  Both have suffered with similar wrist injuries.

Confirmation that Juan Martin Del Potro has been given a wild card for the US Open.  Certainly is well deserved.  On the women's side Laura Robson also gets a wild card.  Both have suffered with similar wrist injuries.

Wow. Avoid del Porto at ure peril. Imagine drawing him in first round. Hopefully Djokovic does

On 8/15/2016 at 19:25, Randy Giles said:

What a lot of desperate shit.emoji38.png

Not really, it's a discussion on being a good sport.

Andy plays the winner of Karlovic v Monaco with the Argentine a set and and a break up in the second.  Take it Andy won't be on until tomorrow now? Or will they make Monaco play twice in 1 day?

Not really, it's a discussion on being a good sport.

Andy plays the winner of Karlovic v Monaco with the Argentine a set and and a break up in the second.  Take it Andy won't be on until tomorrow now? Or will they make Monaco play twice in 1 day?

Twice in one day I'd say. Tight schedule with us open coming up.

31 minutes ago, KingQuerrey said:

Congratulating an opponent on a shot midmatch is just crowd-pandering nonsense. Djokovic will do anything to get people to like him, it really is pathetic to see. A disproportionate level of cringe and seethe washes over me everytime some diddy on Facebook shares that video of him every few months sitting the ballkid down next to him at the French Open in 2015.

Anyway, Roger "I feel the match was on my racquet" Federer is the most ungracious member of the big 4.

Karlovic v Monaco resumes on Court 4 after Sugita v Zverev, then the winner plays Murray in the centre court night match, 1.30AM.

Why is it crowd-pandering nonsense? To say Djokovic will do anything to get people to like him is BS, I've seen Djokovic deliberately antagonise crowds (as has Murray), every player would like crowd support but just because he can be a bit light hearted now and again doesn't mean he is any more 'desperate to be loved' than any other player.

Look at Scott Brown who is apparently a lovely bloke away from the football pitch yet he's a total cock on it. As far as I'm concerned he's still a knob, there's absolutely no need to be a c**t(unless provoked)!

Because that's exactly what it is? Do you think any opposition give a flying f**k if he congratulates one of their shots? They probably find it extremely condescending. Djokovic only does these things because he absolutely hates when the opposition player has more of the players support than he has. He's thrown subtle tantrums over it many times and it's negatively affected his game.

In your blinkered world any sportsman complimenting the opposition is only doing it to get crowd support, is that right?
[emoji1]

Some of them can actually appreciate good play, obviously a hard concept for you to get your head round.

In your blinkered world any sportsman complimenting the opposition is only doing it to get crowd support, is that right?

[emoji1]

Some of them can actually appreciate good play, obviously a hard concept for you to get your head round.

Novak certainly doesn't do it for sportsmanship ffs.....He throws a tantrum any time a crowd doesn't love him and his 'gluten free' regime certainly isn't very sporting. Eta the respect that Murray shows to every opponent in post match interviews is strikingly different to novak and he made inverdale look a moron when he asked Murray how he felt about being first double gold medal tennis winner (he replied that Serena n Venus have 4 each). Novak when the drug testing issue was high profile immediately reignited the old why are women paid same as women topic to deflect from drugs issue. A true sportsman like murray asks for the sport to test properly and not rely on deflection and whataboutery like novak does.