Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Struck me watching it that the two things that Djokovic usually gets spot on are tactics and playing the big points better than anyone. Didn't think that was the case last night. Even after getting several forehand winners zipped past him he kept giving Del Potro more chances to do the same. Start of the second set tie break he lost his first two service points after going in to the net only to get passed down the line by two scorching forehands.

I don't think Djokovic is as tactically astute as Murray or Nadal. But like Federer in his prime he doesn't need to rely on tactics as his game is just that good. His defence is the best that's ever been, and his error rate is lower than anyone.

His two most painful defeats in recent memory have been to Del Potro and Wawrinka where their attacking prowess was able to penetrate his defence.

Whilst Murray will use spin, varying speeds and height to find a tactic that works, Djokovic rarely has a need for that part of the game.

1 hour ago, Loki said:

Well a fully fit Del Potro is a better player than Wawrinka, and he has two slams. So he certainly could have had more. Having a fully fit Del Potro in the mix would mean that the bigger players could get beat earlier. He's definitely someone you want to avoid in the early rounds of the US Open.

His forehand has always been able to brutalise anyone. I didn't think Novak played the match very smartly, although I think he was surprised at how solid his backhand actually was.

If he can use the double handed backhand as frequently as he did vs Novak he's certainly a contender. Hopefully it holds up.

Not sure i agree with that, if they're both fully fit and on form I'd go with Wawrinka.

It's hard to dismiss that FO final, I don't think Del Potro has ever had a performance quite like that.

Edited by Tommy Nooka

Not sure i agree with that, if they're both fully fit and on form I'd go with Wawrinka.

It's hard to dismiss that FO final, I don't think Del Potro has ever had a performance quite like that.

The yr Fed won the French he beat del po in 5 in semi. For parts of that match Del po was unstoppable on the clay

It's great to see Del Potro back. Here's hoping he can carry this on for the rest of the season.

Shame for Edmund today as he had very slight chance of going deep with Djokovic out. He's quite frustrating to watch at times. His forehand is great, but sometimes it just doesn't fire and there are too many unforced errors.

I see Djokovic is missing the Cincinnati Masters like you thought he might, Loki.

Murray will be seeded number one so another good chance for him to keep on winning.

8 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I see Djokovic is missing the Cincinnati Masters like you thought he might, Loki.

Murray will be seeded number one so another good chance for him to keep on winning.

No way any top player was going to play both Masters and the Olympics before the US Open.  Djokovic has never won Cincinatti and he has lost every match against Federer (3-0) and Murray (2-0) at the event.  Murray actually dominates Djokovic in this part of the season winning five of six matches in the North American hard court swing.

It's always fun to watch the Fabio Fognini transformation.  Tanking to majestic to meltdown.  If you can get through the majestic stage you'll tough out the win.

Plays Steve Johnson tomorrow in the QF, who he beat quite easily in the Shanghai Masters last year.  Johnson has improved since then, but doesn't quite have the weapons like Fognini has to really trouble him.   Although a really good service match from Johnson could see Andy struggle, but I can't see it.

Andy blaming really tough conditions which I'm sure there were, but doesn't really explain how he won 6 out of 7 games at the start and 6 games in a row at the end. Conditions were the same all the way through. Fognini played superbly for a set mixed with Murray having one of those brain farts that he used to have regularly about 5 years ago. I always feel matches like that are good to have had once you get through them though as the previous matches were more like practice matches.