Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

If I had a choice between playing in one slam final and winning it or playing in eleven and winning three I'd choose the latter. Murray has said he doesn't fear losing these finals and wants to play in as many as he can as he wants to win them.

He's playing like a man possessed at the moment which I don't think we've ever seen really. The US Open is the first slam where I think I expect him to win it from the outset, regardless of Djokovic. He appears to have worked harder than ever before and he really wants that No 1 ranking.

Extremely and pleasantly surprised at how that turned out. Identical scoreline to last night in the end for his 600th career win and 20th in a row. I do hope that shoulder is 100% for the US Open, though.

Now... bed. :lol:

There's 8 minute highlights on YouTube I've just watched, he looked very fresh actually.  Held the shoulder a couple of times after he was aced, but dictated from the baseline and had Anderson running all over the gaff.

He does tend to hold random parts of his body now and then so not too concerned. If he was geniunely injured to the point where he was doing himself harm there's no way he'd be playing this close to the US Open. The length of the last couple of matches also means they are barely more than an intense training session anyway, which he'd presumably be doing if he wasn't playing. Will be interesting to see if he goes a set and a break down in the next couple of matches how much he's willing to fight or whether he saves himself. With doubts over Djokovic's fitness, Federer out and Nadal no longer a real threat he'll see the Open as a brilliant opportunity, can't see him compromising that by getting involved in a couple of slogfests in Cincinnati.

Do we think he'll play in the Davis Cup so soon after the US Open? Either way, at least he should get a few weeks away from tournaments through late September and early October. I think anyway.

If I had a choice between playing in one slam final and winning it or playing in eleven and winning three I'd choose the latter. Murray has said he doesn't fear losing these finals and wants to play in as many as he can as he wants to win them.

He's playing like a man possessed at the moment which I don't think we've ever seen really. The US Open is the first slam where I think I expect him to win it from the outset, regardless of Djokovic. He appears to have worked harder than ever before and he really wants that No 1 ranking.

Think you might be getting a bit carried away if you expect a win at US Open.

Murray is grinding out results but he looks pretty tired and the form has been up and down. Came pretty close to going out of Wimbledon and Olympics at various points.

Still had a decent chance but Djokovic still a strong favorite.

Muzza was like a walking corpse but still made Tomic look like an absolute chump. What a laddy. His serving was quite good too. Blitzed through one game in about 40 seconds.

Really is quite shan how much he annihilates Australian players. :lol:

Edited by Elixir

7 minutes ago, ChoppeReid said:

Most bookies giving Djokovic 8/11 and Murray 2/1. Novak has looked far from fit or convincing over the past couple of months. Andy must be thinking he has an excellent chance.

19 minutes ago, ChoppeReid said:

Think you might be getting a bit carried away if you expect a win at US Open.

Murray is grinding out results but he looks pretty tired and the form has been up and down. Came pretty close to going out of Wimbledon and Olympics at various points.

The closest he came to going out of Wimbledon was a final set against Tsonga, which he won 6-1, and had been 2 sets up. Other than that he cruised it as much as anyone could cruise to a Slam. At the Olympics I didn't even think he played well, relatively speaking obviously, but shows how good he is that he still won. The Olympics is a unique week in many ways though so I wouldn't read much into it. I'm unsure how he'll do at the US Open, since winning it he's not done well there - not been past the Quarter Finals since - and has looked a bit burned out. He's quite unpredictable there compared to the other Slams.

Yeah the US Open is a bit unpredicatble and he has had some of his toughest defeats there.  Losses to Cilic, Anderson and Wawrinka (twice) and the manner of his defeats in them is quite unlike Murrat.  However it is an Olympic year. His performances at the US Open in an Olympic year since he started playing tennis on tour:

2004:  Junior Champion

2008: First Slam Final

2012: First Slam

2016: TBC (First Double Slam year?)

Looking forward to the match tonight.  Cincinatti is probably the quickest hard court on tour, so a serving performance from Raonic could see him difficult to beat, but likewise it will also aid Murray's serve.  This will be the fifth time he has met Raonic this season. He has won six matches in a row against Raonic.

Game over, 6-3 6-3 He was simply too good for Raonic without really getting out of 2nd gear. Only lost 3 points on serve in the second set.

It's as if Raonic knows he's simply not good enough.

Highlight of the match being Murray double faulting to take it to deuce in the final game. The ball was returned by Raonic, Murray let out a scream and volleyed it (as in with his right foot), it just about took the umpires head clean off.