Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

The fact he went out saving match points and scrapping like f**k when it looked well past him says it all. 

Hero and legend are words thrown about a lot about sportspeople, Andy Murray is a hero and a legend and then some. 

We’ll never see another like him. 

I remember reading a quote from him a good few years ago about the meticulous preparation he put into his training and matches. It was along the lines of sometimes you'll get beaten by a better player or because you're having an off day and that's absolutely fine, that happens, but if you get beat because you haven't prepared enough that's inexcusable.

The best sportsman Scotland has ever produced.

Forget the 3 slams and the Olympic golds, 2 achievements for me stand above the rest:

41 consecutive weeks as world number 1 playing in an era with 3 of the best to ever pick up a racket.

Almost single handedly dragging the country to a Davis Cup win, his performance levels and will to win managed to elevate the rest of the team. I'm so old I can remember the best we had was John Lloyd and Buster Mottram, I never thought it would be possible for a British team to win a Davis Cup.

In an era where his three biggest rivals were tennis immortals his biggest achievements are that he was better than all of them for 41 weeks.  Better than two of them for 79 weeks. Better than at least one of them for 106 weeks.  Utter legend.

What an unbelievable career. I think a child could be born today in Scotland and live to 100 and they’ll never see any of their compatriots who’s as good at tennis as Andy Murray was. 

More than anything I’m delighted to see him call it a day on his own terms. On multiple different occasions we thought his career was going to be ended for him by injury. More than 5 years ago it looked to be all over at the Australian open. Back in March he did his ankle ligaments in Miami. That looked like the end too. And then there was the back surgery before Wimbledon. Somehow though he managed to get one last Wimbledon appearance and the Olympics. How fitting that it all ended at the two tournaments where his success will be best remembered.

There are of course a few regrettable things. It’s a pity he never won Roland Garros and it’s a real shame in particular that he never won the Australian open despite making the final 5 times. That’s what tends to happen when you keep running into Djokovic in Melbourne. 2 wimbledons, 2 Olympic golds, 1 US open, 1 Davis cup, 1 year end finals and countless ATP tour titles is an amazing list of achievements.

It’s a shame that injuries hampered the last 7.5 years of his career so much. When he beat Milos Raonic in straight sets in the 2016 Wimbledon final, no one would have believed it was the 11th and ultimately last grand slam final of his career. When he beat Djokovic at the o2 arena in November of the same year to clinch the ATP year end finals and finally become world #1, no one would have believed that he would only win 2 more singles titles and 1 more doubles title in his whole career.

Thats the injury bug for you and it’s testament to the character of the man himself that he managed to fight back to win in Antwerp with a new hip. That he managed to help his friend Feliciano Lopez complete a singles + doubles clean sweep at the Queen’s Club, a tournament that in my opinion should be renamed as the Andy Murray championships in recognition of his utter dominance of the event. That as recently as 2023 he was making the final in Doha.

I for one will be raising a glass to not just our best sportsman of all time, but one of the greatest Scots the country has ever produced full stop. He is someone who had to experience an incredibly traumatic childhood, but still went on to achieve more than most of us could if we had 100 lifetimes over. 

I hope he is able to focus on being a dad to his four young children now and spend the coming years however he likes, whether that be BBC punditry, coaching players, Davis cup captain, or simply enjoying family time at home.

19 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

What an unbelievable career. I think a child could be born today in Scotland and live to 100 and they’ll never see any of their compatriots who’s as good at tennis as Andy Murray was. 

More than anything I’m delighted to see him call it a day on his own terms. On multiple different occasions we thought his career was going to be ended for him by injury. More than 5 years ago it looked to be all over at the Australian open. Back in March he did his ankle ligaments in Miami. That looked like the end too. And then there was the back surgery before Wimbledon. Somehow though he managed to get one last Wimbledon appearance and the Olympics. How fitting that it all ended at the two tournaments where his success will be best remembered.

There are of course a few regrettable things. It’s a pity he never won Roland Garros and it’s a real shame in particular that he never won the Australian open despite making the final 5 times. That’s what tends to happen when you keep running into Djokovic in Melbourne. 2 wimbledons, 2 Olympic golds, 1 US open, 1 Davis cup, 1 year end finals and countless ATP tour titles is an amazing list of achievements.

It’s a shame that injuries hampered the last 7.5 years of his career so much. When he beat Milos Raonic in straight sets in the 2016 Wimbledon final, no one would have believed it was the 11th and ultimately last grand slam final of his career. When he beat Djokovic at the o2 arena in November of the same year to clinch the ATP year end finals and finally become world #1, no one would have believed that he would only win 2 more singles titles and 1 more doubles title in his whole career.

Thats the injury bug for you and it’s testament to the character of the man himself that he managed to fight back to win in Antwerp with a new hip. That he managed to help his friend Feliciano Lopez complete a singles + doubles clean sweep at the Queen’s Club, a tournament that in my opinion should be renamed as the Andy Murray championships in recognition of his utter dominance of the event. That as recently as 2023 he was making the final in Doha.

I for one will be raising a glass to not just our best sportsman of all time, but one of the greatest Scots the country has ever produced full stop. He is someone who had to experience an incredibly traumatic childhood, but still went on to achieve more than most of us could if we had 100 lifetimes over. 

I hope he is able to focus on being a dad to his four young children now and spend the coming years however he likes, whether that be BBC punditry, coaching players, Davis cup captain, or simply enjoying family time at home.

2016 was really the beginning of the end, imo he pushed his body too far in the pursuit of the no 1 spot. Iirc he played a crazy schedule to try and hit the top of the rankings.

Queen's club have already announced that their main court will be renamed The Sir Andy Murray Arena.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

He was possibly the 4th greatest male tennis player of his era, we shall never see his likes again.

Gilles Simon for me.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

He was possibly the 4th greatest male tennis player of his era, we shall never see his likes again.

In an era where the 3 above him were by some distance the best that there’s ever been.

11 grand slam finals. Won 3 of them. Umpteen semi-finals. Number one in the world for nearly a year.

Aye he was pure shite wasn’t he.