The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

13 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Oaft. 

A Hallowe'en/poppy crossover is arguably the most tragic thing I've ever seen.

This country is absolutely rammed with sad sacks with no life. 

If they had fireworks coming out the top, they’d have covered bonfire night as well

17 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Oaft. 

You only need to walk through any town or city on St Patrick's day to see this.

7 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

You only need to walk through any town or city on St Patrick's day to see this.

You don't have to tell me about St. Patrick's day, her indoors is American. 

Every March she is incredulous that I couldn't give a flying f**k about this "holiday". 

1 hour ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Oaft. 

I for one won't be giving candy to any trick or treaters who aren't wearing a poppy.

1 hour ago, Crawford Bridge said:

You don't have to tell me about St. Patrick's day, her indoors is American. 

Every March she is incredulous that I couldn't give a flying f**k about this "holiday". 

I don't think it's any coincidence that St Patrick's Day has got bigger and bigger in the US since the Catholic Dioceses started dishing out special dispensations, meaning you could basically have a day off from your Lenten resolutions. And the Lord said, "Go forth and get pished".

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I don't think it's any coincidence that St Patrick's Day has got bigger and bigger in the US since the Catholic Dioceses started dishing out special dispensations, meaning you could basically have a day off from your Lenten resolutions. And the Lord said, "Go forth and get pished".

41 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Serious question. Can anyone pinpoint exactly when SevcoZombies2012 actually became the paramilitary wing of the Earl Haig Poppy Club ?

Probably around the same time as being member of armed forces was ratcheted up as heros as Iraq propaganda.

57 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Probably around the same time as being member of armed forces was ratcheted up as heros as Iraq propaganda.

I think it’s more recent than that. Probably the last 10 years. I think the Indy ref shook them up and now they are all things Union and British. The death of their club likely affected them a bit too. Being poppy nutters probably chimes well with their general sensibilities, and seen as the green and white mob across the city are fairly anti-poppy, they’ll be the polar opposite.

I’d also be interested if someone could pinpoint the year they started going overboard with the whole Remembrance thing. It’s probably unfair to single out Rangers. The English teams have went similarly nuts this last while.

Edited by Scary Bear

I think the UK Government saw how veterans in USA were getting lauded and applauded during/ after the Iraq/ Gulf Wars post 9/11 (probably the Americans had some “guilt hangover” from the contrasting poor way veterans were treated after Vietnam) and decided to shift UK public attention onto our service folks, rather than the harsh scrutiny of why the eff we were involved in regime change at all.

For whatever reason, football seems to be the perceived moral compass of working class folk in the UK and Rangers and the majority too of English football teams, particularly those in Brexit towns like Stoke etc, were all over this poppy fetish and show of loyalty like a rash.