The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

Just now, Ziggy Sobotka said:

The 200 odd pages of this thread provide ample evidence that this is not always the case.

It is more weird to have to comment or get upset about people that wear a poppy, have one on their car or even have a door plaque.

And weird why people get upset because people refuse to wear one.

Each to their own.

And I suppose there is nothing weirder than folk.

4 hours ago, Lofarl said:

It all really ramped up when a few old retired soldiers would stand at the gates of brize norton to salute fallen soldiers from Iraq and Afghanistan.  After a while flocks of people would show up to show how much they cared.

To be a boring, pedantic b*****d, which I am... 

It was Wootton Basset, it's the nearest village to what was RAF Lyneham.  It would've changed to Brize Norton around 2013-15?

But all the photos of that era of the funeral cortages going through the crowds will have been Wootton Basset. 

On wearing poppies, years ago I was in the Army Cadets (would not recommend) and you'd do poppy selling? Not sure on the correct terminology. But the vast majority of people donate without taking a poppy, which is what I tend to do. The paper ones last about 4 minutes, there a bit of a pain to attach, so most people just gave loose change and went on there way. Which IMO is a pretty classy way to do it. It's gotten lost along the way but the poppy was just a vehicle for the charity's to fundraise, somewhere along the line it's turned into who can be seen to be sadder and more upset. It's a bit of a stretch admittedly, but my parents speak about the hysteria around Princess Diana dying, and how grief became fashionable, you were buying basket loads of Elton John to show you really cared etc. 

I always thought remembrance was meant to be quite solemn, we've gone past that now with the way we deal with death in general IMO. 

On 12/10/2023 at 09:38, virginton said:

She's busy throwing her old man under the bus now:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/11/capt-tom-moore-daughter-says-she-kept-800000-his-books-made-on-his-wishes

Tbh I suspect that she's right on that specific claim. The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree and Captain Tom was giving off plenty of big Tory energy at the time. 

Time to expunge that episode from the past few years of demented events on this set of islands. 

The thing is, this country has shifted so far to the right with actual fucking nazis in the BNP and Britain First going full blown poppy that its now when worn by those types a complete slap in the face to those who died to fight fascism. Like you I studied history and i genuinely feel greatful for those who went over to Normandy and the like and gave their lives to defeat evil. Its gone in a horrible direction now, its frightening how insular our country is. 

I donate to Erskine veterans charity and i do give to the poppy appeal, but i dont wear a poppy. In terms of the staunchosity at Rangers, i think it cheapens the whole thing, but if it gets money for those charities then i can look the other way. The poppy fascism has to stop, several posters are right, the government gets folks to focus on this kind of thing to direct attention away from the shite they are doing now. They want outrage at a newsreader not wearing a poppy because it distracts and dilutes their shite. As a society we are going backwards and its troubling, thats where the outrage should be, theres never been this much wealth in the world but never been this much poverty. 

45 minutes ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

Covid Inquiry currently being screened on BBC News. Martin Reynolds ("Party Marty"), Principal Private Secretary to Johnson, is giving evidence. Looking and sounding very uncomfortable. However he, unlike all others in the room, is wearing his poppy. Must be hoping it works as a deflector shield,

41 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

To be a boring, pedantic b*****d, which I am... 

It was Wootton Basset, it's the nearest village to what was RAF Lyneham.  It would've changed to Brize Norton around 2013-15?

But all the photos of that era of the funeral cortages going through the crowds will have been Wootton Basset. 

On wearing poppies, years ago I was in the Army Cadets (would not recommend) and you'd do poppy selling? Not sure on the correct terminology. But the vast majority of people donate without taking a poppy, which is what I tend to do. The paper ones last about 4 minutes, there a bit of a pain to attach, so most people just gave loose change and went on there way. Which IMO is a pretty classy way to do it. It's gotten lost along the way but the poppy was just a vehicle for the charity's to fundraise, somewhere along the line it's turned into who can be seen to be sadder and more upset. It's a bit of a stretch admittedly, but my parents speak about the hysteria around Princess Diana dying, and how grief became fashionable, you were buying basket loads of Elton John to show you really cared etc. 

I always thought remembrance was meant to be quite solemn, we've gone past that now with the way we deal with death in general IMO. 

What people are noticing with the behavior of some people who have a bit of an obsession with poppies, the armed forces and so on, has nothing to do with death, greif, remembrance etc. the problem people have had with poppies in the the social media age is that they have become a way of chest beating jingoism for aggressive nationalistic types of people. Rangers fans if you like

34 minutes ago, gannonball said:

You should add it your already very brexity looking profile interests

Screenshot_20231030-150246.thumb.png.5b935cbffe1e79f7ec4a3d44c1166517.png

I did not vote for Brexit. Anyway what a strange post to make. 

Because I like football, pool and the pub means to your mind I voted for brexit.

4 hours ago, Steelly said:

What is a poppy weirdo? 

You'll surely know them by one of their other names:

• Rangers fan

• Orange b*stard

• Lodge Member

• Yoon

• Royalist

• 'The People' (they say they "are the people")

• H*ns

• Nazis

• Oddballs

• Lunatics

• Scotland's Shame

• etc.,