The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

8 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Serious question. Can anyone pinpoint exactly when SevcoZombies2012 actually became the paramilitary wing of the Earl Haig Poppy Club ?

I had the pleasure of meeting the top kiddie of Poppy Scotland pre covid.

He was exactly what i imagined, ex army officer very much London's man in Scotland without any malice. What you'd expect a high level diplomat would be like. A non aggressive James Bond type.

I asked him what was the script with the uber Sevco Brigade in a modern Scotland were the youngest WW2 veteran would be in their late 90s.  Wasn't he embarrassed by the whole fake wrap the red, white and blue, we've still got an Empire, Two World Wars One World Cup Follow Follow bang the big drum cringe fest.

And his honest reply which i totally believe was, "truthfully without them Poppy Scotland would have next to nothing. There just isn't the same level of input from the old certainties like the British Legion, church congregations, the BB, TA, cadets etc because those groups numbers wise have completely collapsed. Basically we're totally relying on The Rangers and the fan base".

Walking through Glasgow City Centre in the days leading up to the 11th November you'd be lucky to see one in ten wearing a poppy.

So our man from Poppy Scotland may well have a point.

Edited by PossilYM

14 hours ago, RH33 said:

Probably around the same time as being member of armed forces was ratcheted up as heros as Iraq propaganda.

Even minute's silences ahead of games on the Saturday nearest 11/11 are a relatively recent thing. 

11 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

It all really ramped up when a few old retired soldiers would stand at the gates of brize norton to salute fallen soldiers from Iraq and Afghanistan.  After a while flocks of people would show up to show how much they cared.

This is what buckles me. As a society we'd rather get misty eyed at the sight of a body bag with a young person in it and tell them how worth it it all was than hold accountable those who send them to die. I'd say there was no shame in WW2, and there will undoubtedly be other examples..... Ukraine for one, but for the most part, war is a fucking shameful endeavour. 

It gives no dignity or respect to anyone to perpetually increase how glorious it all is. 

14 hours ago, RH33 said:

Probably around the same time as being member of armed forces was ratcheted up as heros as Iraq propaganda.

IMO that's kinda when Remembrance changed in the UK as a whole - the general public were largely opposed to the Iraq war but supported the troops.

Unfortunately it didn't take long for that sentiment to be highjacked and twisted into a show of nationalism

We're a long way from the solemn, quiet and dignified act of Remembrance that the Poppy used to, and should, represent.

2 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

IMO that's kinda when Remembrance changed in the UK as a whole - the general public were largely opposed to the Iraq war but supported the troops.

Unfortunately it didn't take long for that sentiment to be highjacked and twisted into a show of nationalism

We're a long way from the solemn, quiet and dignified act of Remembrance that the Poppy used to, and should, represent.

Yup, I don't mind supporting Poppy Scotland but I've stopped wearing one as it's lost its actual meaning.

Still respect any silences as well but it's been hijacked by the gammon wing of the country.

Of the veterans I knew when growing up who had served in WW2, they refused to speak about it. They didn't want it 'celebrated'.

My granny is 101 and saw people off who never came home. Latterly, when she was still coherent she didn't like the way it had gone.

It was also ramped up post 2008, to try and deflect attention from the financial crash and the fall out from it. A shift to the right under the guise of protectionism almost always follows events like that, and the government were happy to utilize the armed forces and “Are brave boys” as a means of deflecting anyone who wanted to criticise the British government, their handling of the whole thing, and the inevitable effects on the average punter on the street. Sadly, the Overton window is still shifting further right, though there are now signs that it might start backing up.

1 hour ago, PossilYM said:

Be curious to know how many WW2 veterans (men) are still alive in Scotland.

Basing it on a 18 year old (born 1926) taking part in the D Day landings.

They'd be 97 years old this year.

My uncle was the last in our family and this will be the first Remembrance Day without him. I'll still wear a poppy that weekend in tribute to the likes of him and my grandpa who was in the trenches in WW1. Don't understand why folk feel the need to wear one in October though.

Wear a poppy if you want, do not wear one if you don't want to. 

Buy poppy related merchandise if you want, don't if you don't want to.

If Rangers as a club and their fans want to have huge displays let them. If you do not like it then do not watch it or look at it.

Covid Inquiry currently being screened on BBC News. Martin Reynolds ("Party Marty"), Principal Private Secretary to Johnson, is giving evidence. Looking and sounding very uncomfortable. However he, unlike all others in the room, is wearing his poppy. Must be hoping it works as a deflector shield,

Edited by Thane of Cawdor
Perfectionist