Dundee United v Motherwell

Guest Bushel o' Bricks

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have been relatively decent away from home under McGhee, so I guess it shouldn't be that surprising that we did well last night - but given the way we've been defending recently, I just couldn't see where a win was coming from. It turns out that Utd defend even worse than us - the first goal aside which was a great free kick, the other two were the type of gift wrapped goals we've been giving away for weeks.

I guess this week sums up the difficulties Utd had (past tense as they are surely down now) in closing the gap - both of the teams that were 2nd bottom have won in the past few days and actually increased the gap. There would need to be one team in the league in utter freefall and up until now, it hasn't happened.

I saw on Twitter earlier that when Mixu took over, Utd were only a point from the play-off place, which I honestly hadn't realised - so it's difficult to view his appointment as anything other than a disaster for the Utd board. Despite the valid criticisms of our manager, it still looks like we dodged a bullet (and to be honest, I'd have been happy if we got Mixu at the time).

On the subject of our manager - a very good night at the office for him and he deserves a lot of praise after the pelters he's rightly taken recently.

He's not good enough. That amateur fresh air effort in the second half being a case in point. I'd still have in the team because he runs about, which is about all we can ask for these days, but you're kidding yourself if you think he's anything other than a lower league player. Might do a job for us if we do a Dunfermline.

Murray wasn't great last night. But there were way worse moments from near enough every other player out there in Tangerine last night, pish poor all round.

Eta: wtf has happened to Billy McKay!!

Perhaps its just from watching the highlights, our formation looks absolutely bizarre. Johnson and Cadden appearing on either side, then through the middle, centre-halfs running away from players because they're stepping out.

I mean, I don't care because we won, but it certainly looks odd. Anyone there able to enlighten?

United had plenty of possession and can't be faulted for their work ethic and competitiveness but a lack of quality let them down. Both sides could have scored more. Thought McManus and MacDonald were excellent last night. Lets keep this going now with another trip to Tayside at the weekend.

Perhaps its just from watching the highlights, our formation looks absolutely bizarre. Johnson and Cadden appearing on either side, then through the middle, centre-halfs running away from players because they're stepping out.

I mean, I don't care because we won, but it certainly looks odd. Anyone there able to enlighten?

3-4-1-2 With Faddy behind McDonald and Moult, Johnson and Cadden playing as wing backs.

The players looked really confused for the most part and the marking was all over the shop, but the sides sort of cancelled each other out on the whole so tactically it payed off.

Think we went 4-4-2 when Law came on, can't really remember though.

Not real football fans, IMO. Those are the times you stay to the end and have a reflective few moments of the horror you've witnessed. It's also good for your soul to get all your aggression out, which you can freely do in a football stadium. Which is nice.

Thank you.

I walked out last night. Not something I'm prone to do, but the failure of the management team and players last night deserved that walkout. Gutless, tactically inept and without any urgency. The fans have stuck by the team pretty well by and large, but that last night was humiliating.

3-4-1-2 With Faddy behind McDonald and Moult, Johnson and Cadden playing as wing backs.

The players looked really confused for the most part and the marking was all over the shop, but the sides sort of cancelled each other out on the whole so tactically it payed off.

Think we went 4-4-2 when Law came on, can't really remember though.

Cheers Tam. It was difficult to tell from the highlights if we were doing something interesting tactically, or whether we were just taking a punt.

On a side-note, I fucking love how much Cadden celebrates everything. Good c**t.

On a side-note, I fucking love how much Cadden celebrates everything. Good c**t.

I've noticed this too - he's also looking increasingly comfortable in the first team - looks a great prospect which begs the question why he wasn't involved before now.....

I've noticed this too - he's also looking increasingly comfortable in the first team - looks a great prospect which begs the question why he wasn't involved before now.....

Because we had Manchester United superstar Liam Grimshaw on the right... :rolleyes:

I walked out last night. Not something I'm prone to do, but the failure of the management team and players last night deserved that walkout. Gutless, tactically inept and without any urgency. The fans have stuck by the team pretty well by and large, but that last night was humiliating.

I left after the second goal and will make no apologies for it. Though I'm far more angry at the manager than the players.

This raises the bigger issue that has been discussed on various threads before; how does a fan go about registering his/her displeasure with a situation? There are very few options in truth; I'd rather walk out than stand around booing.

Archived