Gardening Thread

5 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Very much appreciate your advice on that one.  I’ve probably underestimated how cold it gets and the winds were horrendous a wee while back.  

Can be a bit heavy moving it but I’ll certainly give it a try.  

Is it small enough for a large clear bin liner? Cover it at night or if the winds kick up perhaps…but make sure to secure that bag in that case.

7 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Very much appreciate your advice on that one.  I’ve probably underestimated how cold it gets and the winds were horrendous a wee while back.  

Can be a bit heavy moving it but I’ll certainly give it a try.  

Wind really does batter plants more than most realise. Especially cold winds.

Maybe some horticultural fleece or as TxRover says, a clear bin liner would do the job. Just watch for the sun early morning burning the leaves if there's any condensation from the bin liner.

• 4 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Still no windows in but no rush on them. Roof is on. Staging area for my plants and potting table done. 

20240516_205413.jpg

44 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

20240516_205424.jpg

44 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

20240522_214034.jpg

That looks superb! Great effort. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just recently bought a new electric lawnmower and it's decent enough but the cable is a bit of a nuisance and generally getting in the way.

I can remember my late dad having an attachment on the handle of his lawnmower that the cable was attached to and it had an arm on the front of the handle that switched the cable from one side to another when you were turning 180°

Does anyone know what I'm on about and more importantly if such an invention is still on the go?! Had a go unsuccessfully online.

I've read this three times before submit and I appreciate it might not make much sense! Some of the looks I got at work today trying to explain what I was on about was worrying!

TIA Buky.

4 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

I've just recently bought a new electric lawnmower and it's decent enough but the cable is a bit of a nuisance and generally getting in the way.

I can remember my late dad having an attachment on the handle of his lawnmower that the cable was attached to and it had an arm on the front of the handle that switched the cable from one side to another when you were turning 180°

Does anyone know what I'm on about and more importantly if such an invention is still on the go?! Had a go unsuccessfully online.

I've read this three times before submit and I appreciate it might not make much sense! Some of the looks I got at work today trying to explain what I was on about was worrying!

TIA Buky.

Was he electrocuted?

Sunflowers really talking a battering in this weather were having. Seem to have almost stopped over the past couple of weeks. 

Also, no idea wtf I've done seeing with poppies the past two years, always used to come up a treat in my wildflower patch, but totally bare two years in a row now.

23 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

TIA Buky.

I understand what you’re asking about, but I’m not sure I can imagine how it would assist as you’d literally have to whip the cord over your head with each switch. When I used a corded mower, the solution was always the old start closest to the power point and work out. Even when the cord was on the away side, it would be tugged back toward the start point by the already spooled out cord, and remain clear of the uncut areas.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

I understand what you’re asking about, but I’m not sure I can imagine how it would assist as you’d literally have to whip the cord over your head with each switch. When I used a corded mower, the solution was always the old start closest to the power point and work out. Even when the cord was on the away side, it would be tugged back toward the start point by the already spooled out cord, and remain clear of the uncut areas.

The cord is at the side of the handle and is flipped across to the other side at the end when you turn to come back. If that makes sense!

Aye. What I was going to say. My mower’s cord comes from the RHS of the handle. So start on the RHS of the lawn - cord over the path - and work back and forth that way. Makes sense for me! 

16 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

The cord is at the side of the handle and is flipped across to the other side at the end when you turn to come back. If that makes sense!

Why would having a handle make it easier than just having it lay on the grass next to the mower, though?  Unless this handle also wound the cable as you went up and down the grass. 

On 10/06/2024 at 17:25, BukyOHare said:

TIA Buky.

You'll probably end up cutting the cable eventually,  best to plug it in to a circuit breaker. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...