Scams

maicoman

1 hour ago, RuMoore said:

I had a scam caller phoning up and asking about shite like maintenance issues, damp etc and if I had complained to the local authority, I just said yes to see where this would lead to and the person said to send images on WhatsApp to them and they'd get me compensation, what's aw that about? 

Which alias were you using at the time?

10 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Which alias were you using at the time?

Please stay in the politics section and don't ruin the rest of the forum with your perennial loser shitebag stench. 

Edited by RuMoore

9 hours ago, RuMoore said:

Please stay in the politics section and don't ruin the rest of the forum with your perennial loser shitebag stench. 

Why don't you complain to the Mods, Stormzy? Is it because you've been banned from the site under at least 3 previous usernames?

I just thought it was ironic that someone on yet another alias was posting on the scams thread.

Oh, BTW, I'll not be taking any instructions from a permabanned loser about which threads I can post in.

Now, why don't you go and set up another dotting account to cheer up your miserable life.

1 minute ago, lichtgilphead said:

Why don't you complain to the Mods, Stormzy? Is it because you've been banned from the site under at least 3 previous usernames?

I just thought it was ironic that someone on yet another alias was posting on the scams thread.

Oh, BTW, I'll not be taking any instructions from a permabanned loser about which threads I can post in.

Now, why don't you go and set up another dotting account to cheer up your miserable life.

Maybe you should chill out before you get reported for stalking and have to change your username.

1 hour ago, lichtgilphead said:

You're very incorrect and very paranoid, I don't like the term rent free but with you it's a frighteningly accurate description, you think and post about me a really bizarre amount. 90% of the time I ignore your deranged shite but the last two times I've responded to you being an arsehole you've taken the huff and had my posts removed after greeting to the mods. 

Perhaps best to lay off the alcohol and pop me on ignore. 

On 16/02/2024 at 12:02, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Im with O2, and every so often get a text (that is legit) about resetting a pin/password. Then a phone call from all over the shop, claiming to be able to get a 40% discount if I confirm my pin with them.

First time I got one I was a bit confused (because the text looked legit but the call clearly wasnt) - read the text down to the end and it said O2 will never call you for this pin. Called the scammer a p***k and hung up & blocked him, but every few weeks some con artist chances it again.

Edit: actually i think o2 send 2/3 different texts for whatever the scammers are trying, took a skim before i clocked the warning.

Im not even sure what they can do if you fall for it, but i suppose phone numbers are really important now with e.g. authentication texts and calls so thats their angle somewhere. Change the number on your o2 account and try to access other sensitive/lucrative accounts?

Easy, they can hijack your account. The whole point is they have gotten into your account to the point where they requested to reset your password, and the system sends a PIN via text to your verified phone number. If you give the caller the PIN, they type it in and can now reset your password and have full account control to change the email address, owner, mailing address, etc. It's basically the final step to stealing your account, so I'd consider changing whatever O2 uses to log into your account...email, username, account ID, whatever, to something else.

2FA generally relies upon phones and texts to confirm who someone is, so if they hijack your phone (or phone number, see "SIM swapping") they can more easily access most of your accounts.

On 17/02/2024 at 20:11, lichtgilphead said:

Oh look!

Another new dotting account @Reiver

I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

Edited by lichtgilphead

On 16/02/2024 at 18:02, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Im with O2, and every so often get a text (that is legit) about resetting a pin/password. Then a phone call from all over the shop, claiming to be able to get a 40% discount if I confirm my pin with them.

I get these every week, at least twice. I tell them that's great, it'll save the police force a lot of money as its a works phone and I'll pass their number on. They hang up abruptly then it all starts again a few days later.

It genuinely is a works phone they call on, so I've no idea how they got the number.

I am not an officer of law enforcement though.

5 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

I get these every week, at least twice. I tell them that's great, it'll save the police force a lot of money as its a works phone and I'll pass their number on. They hang up abruptly then it all starts again a few days later.

It genuinely is a works phone they call on, so I've no idea how they got the number.

^^^ impersonating a police officer type post

13 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

You could be a bit creative I suppose:

"Could you just stay on the line a minute.... (slightly away from the receiver) quick, quick, it's that scammer, get the line traced... got it? good? got the b*****d at last... (back to the receiver) sorry, you were saying.." 

Heard this one yesterday off of a roofer who was on the phone to his supplier ordering material and he got told about it.Someone in Ayrshire was getting a new roof on their house so the scaffolder arrives on the job and puts a scaffold around the house and finishes the job and leaves. Minutes later the womans door bell rings and the guy on the doorstep says something like"Thats the scaffold up now so you know that we are committed to start on your roof shortly. Can i now get half the money upfront that we agreed on so that i can pay the scaffolder and buy the material?" Woman-WTF are you talking about!!!" She phones the number of the roofer who is about to start her job and gets informed that the guy on her doorstep has got absolutely nothing to do with him or his company!

On 14/02/2024 at 22:13, maicoman said:

The house phone rings this morning Wife looks at the number and it is a Beith number so she picks it up and there is a old man on the line He asks her did some one phone his number a hour a go from our landline in Beith  She said no He told her that he got a phone call from "the bank" telling him that he had a couple of suspicious transactions He said he was very aware of these scams and put the phone down He was very apologetic about having to phone her to double check Wife put it on facebook and someone told her that the scammers now have the technology to get a local number to come up on peoples phones when they phone them

Happened to me on Monday, had a missed call from a mobile number, rang it back and the bloke on the other end (who was a stranger) hadn't called me. Then got another one which I answered from a different number, which was the normal scam script recorded message.

2 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:

Happened to me on Monday, had a missed call from a mobile number, rang it back and the bloke on the other end (who was a stranger) hadn't called me. Then got another one which I answered from a different number, which was the normal scam script recorded message.

It was a favourite for a while, but clearly they were just picking random locations as there were suddenly massive Amazon or Visa Debit call centres in Macduff or Beith or Auchtermuchty.

4 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

It was a favourite for a while, but clearly they were just picking random locations as there were suddenly massive Amazon or Visa Debit call centres in Macduff or Beith or Auchtermuchty.

Been on for years here in the colonies, they apparently figure people are more likely to pickup a “local” unknown number, so they spoof the number to show your exchange and a random number from within it.

• 3 weeks later...

My personal favourite was when a gentleman phoned me, knew me by name and was telling me about a government funded scheme to improve the value of privately owned homes.

He offered me a government funded conservatory .... on my top floor council owned flat.