Morton vs Rangers

Of course. Rules should be applied consistently or ignored. What other sensible option is there? Caprice?

:lol: Rules are rules. Halliday broke the rules and got punished. Get over it.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, there were 5 or 6 separate gestures towards the Morton support. It's not really common to see that. He just kept going, my thought was that he was off for a second yellow if the ref saw it - so I wasn't surprised at all when the assistant flagged. It's just a shame there's no footage of the whole thing, was a total heids gone moment.

I've seen players get off with gestures to opposition fans quite often, like the wee bit at the end they keep showing on TV, but I don't think I've seen any player get off with doing anything as blatant and prolonged as what Halliday did last night.

Given that it wasn't a rude gesture and that he didn't move towards the Morton fans I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. I would though!

Inconsistency appears to be a way of life for Scottish referees, by all means book a player for over celebrating but do it every single time it happens not just when it suits.

RamblingGuy won't like that. Rules are rules, y'know.

Of course there's inconsistency which is frustrating, but when we get teams of human beings to officiate, there's a certain inevitability about it.

It's interesting that the moan about the decision being wrong, has given way to an appeal for consistency. The fans complaining couldn't care less what happens in other games - they just don't like what happened in this one.

I've seen most tv/video clips and I can't still make my mind up did his overall actions deserve a yellow card. The two things in his defence imo is he always does the same celebration after his team's score and also it appears he never made any movement from the middle of the park towards the Morton fans. Tho I appreciate some would say that doesn't matter.

Anyway my point is the whole objective and final part of the football process is scoring a goal. Let's just say it pays the wages, keeps people in employment and makes fans very happy. So let those concerned enjoy that moment. Start a riot! Get a life. Football fans love giving banter and deep down they like receiving it! Bookings such as Gazzas, Griffiths for revealing a t shirt with 50 on it and cupping the ears is ridiculous. Btw the ref that booked Gazza was told his career was over and it was! Let's get some humour and banter back in the game from players and fans for gods sake!

Of course there's inconsistency which is frustrating, but when we get teams of human beings to officiate, there's a certain inevitability about it. It's interesting that the moan about the decision being wrong, has given way to an appeal for consistency. The fans complaining couldn't care less what happens in other games - they just don't like what happened in this one.

These are two separate arguments that you're conflating.

The conflation came from those criticising this decision by highlighting the notion of consistency.

That has been a separate line used against those who say 'rules are rules'.

I'll make it easier for you. Halliday's gesture wasn't card-worthy.

Those who maintain that it's a gesture so must be card-worthy aren't supported by precedent, which shows that celebratory gestures are generally not punished.

So two separate lines of discussion and nothing like you said it was.

So are you happy for rules to be applied inconsistency?

Of course not. Its still better than them never being applied at all though. Halliday was unfortunate that particular ref decided to pull him up for it, equally though he shouldnt have done it. These things happen to every club, on any given week, get over it.

Given that it wasn't a rude gesture and that he didn't move towards the Morton fans I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. I would though!

At the time I thought the initial gesture was a rude one, but there's no footage was that part so I didn't want to accuse him on something I want completely certain about. There was enough apart from that to merit a yellow. Whether the rule is liked or not is another matter, it's like getting booked for taking off your shirt or jumping into your own fans. Halliday was flaunting the rules, and given how long he went on and where the assistant was, it was made incredibly difficult to ignore.

On a side note, my dad briefly taught Halliday and thought it was hilarious last night cause he was exactly like that at school.

That has been a separate line used against those who say 'rules are rules'.

I'll make it easier for you. Halliday's gesture wasn't card-worthy.

Those who maintain that it's a gesture so must be card-worthy aren't supported by precedent, which shows that celebratory gestures are generally not punished.

So two separate lines of discussion and nothing like you said it was.

The gestures filmed from the Rangers end were not celebratory in nature.

They were aggressive and taunting. They were repeated for some time. They were noteworthy enough for the Rangers fans to comment on them and for one to burst into song about it.

To describe them as celebratory is to completely misrepresent what happened.

At least I bore people in a literate way.

This is one of my favourite posts of the year so far. I'm going to use it irl.

Monkey Tennis - boring people in a literate way since *whenever you joined, I can't see it because I'm on my phone* would make a decent signature.

Archived