Scotrail

ScottR96

12 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Your kids won’t have earned it if you’re handing it to them.

Obviously anyone with any social conscience at all would be leaving their estate to the state, or charity.

Aye, so the state can spend it on useless PPE then burn it. Or waste it on something else. The state gets plenty.

Personally, I’d rather my kids got anything that’s left. The person who has earned it should decide what they do with it.

Your kids won’t have earned it if you’re handing it to them.
Obviously anyone with any social conscience at all would be leaving their estate to the state, or charity.

That doesn’t matter though. I will have earned it to pass on to them. I will bring them up in such a way that will allow them to hopefully be successful on their own but anything I have worked for I would like to pass onto them (unless I spend it which is also a possibility)

5 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Aye, so the state can spend it on useless PPE then burn it. Or waste it on something else. The state gets plenty.

Personally, I’d rather my kids got anything that’s left. The person who has earned it should decide what they do with it.

It clearly doesn’t if it can’t provide social care for all those who need it, or a decent NHS, or double-digit pay hikes for the public sector.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Think it's changed a few times in recent years to make it harder and harder, meaning folk are doing this stuff when they are still relatively young, and genuinely unsure whether or not their kids are in fact, bams who will take the roof from over their head. 

Guy at my work said he had a very Frank conversation with his lawyer re being absolutely sure his kids weren't arseholes. 

So many ways around this now. I know people in their 20’s and 30’s who’ve had property signed over, while their parents are still in their 50’s. T&C’s to say they can’t evict the parents or sell the house while still alive etc is all it takes. 

Another contradiction (or some might call it a paradox) has occurred to me as this thread has evolved.

Private healthcare is deemed bad because it undermines the NHS, allows queue jumping, promotes privatisation etc.

Why is private social care not only good but absolutely fair and to be demanded?  Social care is just a branch of the healthcare system no?

2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Arent tories just fucking horrible? 

They really are, appalling people. Wanting to reward hard work and aspiration. What a nerve. Dreadful people. 
If only they were like Labour and the SNP showering the work shy with “free things”.

51 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Very little wealth is ‘unearned’.  Any wealth I have accumulated I have been taxed on including what I earned to buy my house which will go to my kids when I die.  

When you are dead the wealth is transferred to your kids - it is therefore quite clearly unearned wealth on the part of the recipients

Quite what part of that very straightforward concept people cannot grasp is mind-boggling.

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

How about if we raise the minimum wage by 15 percent, give public sector workers a rise equivalent to the rate of inflation and revisit income tax - significantly increasing it for those earning over £100k a year. 

Income tax is a drop in the ocean compared to wealth taxes - capital gains and inheritance to name but two. By all means raise all three but the focus must shift to wealth which is far more unevenly distributed in the UK and other Western societies than income. 

Just now, virginton said:

When you are dead the wealth is transferred to your kids - it is therefore quite clearly unearned wealth on the part of the recipients

Quite what part of that very straightforward concept people cannot grasp is mind-boggling.

You really shouldn’t get to concerned about this.  After all you’re unlikely to accumulate much wealth and I can’t imagine you will have any kids to leave it to.

Certainly hope not anyway!

27 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

The person who has earned it should decide what they do with it.

How does that argument work out for you with HMRC, when they collect income tax on actually earned wealth? 

The person who earned the wealth has every right to decide what to do with it. And then the state has the right to apply taxes to whatever transfer of wealth the original owner chooses. That's how 'taxation' has worked since the dawn of organised societies.  

1525828938_wpXTrvfKTCB4(1).gif.d696e6f9e833f01134b5de13e35c5b0f.gif

26 minutes ago, Left Back said:

It clearly doesn’t if it can’t provide social care for all those who need it, or a decent NHS, or double-digit pay hikes for the public sector.

I'd say the state takes it's fair share out the wage packet of the working man. Then, of course, with what we have left they tax us again on everything we buy, sell or do.

If they could stop doing silly things like writing off £16bn in fraudulent covid claims, and countless more £bn's in dodgy contracts to their crooked and complicit cohorts for a start, they may be in a slightly better position to address some of these issues and give workers what they deserve.

The working class shouldn't have to suffer or pay for the government's misgivings. Unlike the inconvenience of a few days of trains being off being painted as such, the government's mismanagement of its money is a true catastrophe.

Instead of inflammatory reporting that is solely aimed at demonising a workforce fighting for a fair deal, it would be a revelation if any news channel would take a stance in favour of the country's workforce, whilst maintaining pressure on the government over the squandering of so much of the money they take from us.

14 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

They really are, appalling people. Wanting to reward hard work and aspiration. What a nerve. Dreadful people. 
If only they were like Labour and the SNP showering the work shy with “free things”.

You truly are a horrible wee man. Your party doesnt ‘reward hard work’ it fucking attempts to ostracise any fucker who works their arse off and asks for pay commensurate with the cost of living. Fucking working people cannae heat their houses in winter or rely on foodbanks etc. Your party is devoid of a fucking single member with a soul. You’re either purposefully trying to be a pantomime villain here or actually defending a party that couldnt give a f**k about you. f**k the snp and labour party too. 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

10 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

I'd say the state takes it's fair share out the wage packet of the working man. Then, of course, with what we have left they tax us again on everything we buy, sell or do.

If they could stop doing silly things like writing off £16bn in fraudulent covid claims, and countless more £bn's in dodgy contracts to their crooked and complicit cohorts for a start, they may be in a slightly better position to address some of these issues and give workers what they deserve.

The working class shouldn't have to suffer or pay for the government's misgivings. Unlike the inconvenience of a few days of trains being off being painted as such, the government's mismanagement of its money is a true catastrophe.

Instead of inflammatory reporting that is solely aimed at demonising a workforce fighting for a fair deal, it would be a revelation if any news channel would take a stance in favour of the country's workforce, whilst maintaining pressure on the government over the squandering of so much of the money they take from us.

So I could conclude you’re unwilling to pay more tax for better public services then?

With your emphasis on “working/workers” I’d speculate you’d be happy for higher earners to pay more though?

Successive governments haven’t done some of the daft things this government has done, except of course Labour spending all our money on a dodgy war and giving what’s left to the bankers, or the SNP (on a smaller scale obviously as they have a smaller budget) with their various financial fuckups of the last few years.

You’re in denial if you think any other party handles your money any better.

22 minutes ago, virginton said:

So what?

My folks worked hard to ensure when I got to 21 that I was in a better position then they were at the same age and instilled in me the same desire for my kids. I want them to do better than me and part of that is giving them a good head start. 

I bet most of the posters on here feel the same and as long as you pay the appropriate taxes etc then what is the problem with families bettering themselves each generation  

The likes of you, me and every other poster on P&B passing on what we have earned to our kids is not the cause of the massive wealth gap in this country.  

So what if your kids or my kids have some unearned wealth?  That is how life should work - each generation bettering the last. 

15 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

You truly are a horrible wee man. Your party doesnt ‘reward hard work’ it fucking attempts to ostracise any fucker who works their arse off and asks for pay commensurate with the cost of living. Fucking working people cannae heat their houses in winter or rely on foodbanks etc. Your party is devoid of a fucking single member with a soul. You’re either purposefully trying to be a pantomime villain here or actually defending a party that couldnt give a f**k about you. f**k the snp and labour party too. 

What an appalling thing to say, it would appear that it’s you who is the horrible man. The government give people cars and houses for free, we pay “alcoholic allowances” to wastrels sitting in pubs and bookies all day, we struggle to get people to do certain jobs, because it’s more beneficial to be on benefits!  Yet you chastise me! Pray tell, what would you do? And they are not my party, I don’t vote Conservative.

3 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

What an appalling thing to say, it would appear that it’s you who is the horrible man. The government give people cars and houses for free, we pay “alcoholic allowances” to wastrels sitting in pubs and bookies all day, we struggle to get people to do certain jobs, because it’s more beneficial to be on benefits!  Yet you chastise me! Pray tell, what would you do? And they are not my party, I don’t vote Conservative.

What specific sort of attention is it that you want here? Maybe we can sort it so that you dont have to keep typing utter shite?

How does that argument work out for you with HMRC, when they collect income tax on actually earned wealth? 
The person who earned the wealth has every right to decide what to do with it. And then the state has the right to apply taxes to whatever transfer of wealth the original owner chooses. That's how 'taxation' has worked since the dawn of organised societies.  
1525828938_wpXTrvfKTCB4(1).gif.d696e6f9e833f01134b5de13e35c5b0f.gif

I agree with you on the need for a wealth tax. However, I don’t think I am anywhere near the level that it should relate to