Partick Thistle vs Motherwell, Tuesday 2/2/16

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently a steward was assaulted. Hard to tell from my vantage point as it happened I would assume in the middle of the crowd but what seemed to then kick off was a load of polis piling in and the guy they were trying to lift not making it easy resulting in a woman officer swinging what looked like a few misplaced punches and falling over and then a good dozen more cops came flying in.

I didn't notice until my mate pointed it out and by that point there must have been at least half a dozen police/stewards in at that point. Any idea why the steward was assaulted if that was the case? Would be no need to even consider this facial recognition pish if clowns like that didn't attack stewards.

It's no surprise seeing McGhee flinging Ainsworth under the bus for Tuesday rather than take responsibility as manager (with whom the buck stops) as I'm sure he had previous for that kind of thing. If I remember correctly it was a youth player at Aberdeen who he came out and publicly blamed for a cup defeat and said that he hoped it haunted him.

Edit: It was Mitch Megginson of Aberdeen whom McGhee hung out to dry after losing a match to Kilmarnock in 2010. Source? Just type 'McGhee blames player' into Google.

Ainsworth made a mistake for sure, but to send him out to face the press like that was a disgrace and excuses the rest of the team and the manager for yet another dreadful display.

It's no surprise seeing McGhee flinging Ainsworth under the bus for Tuesday rather than take responsibility as manager (with whom the buck stops) as I'm sure he had previous for that kind of thing. If I remember correctly it was a youth player at Aberdeen who he came out and publicly blamed for a cup defeat and said that he hoped it haunted him.

Edit: It was Mitch Megginson of Aberdeen whom McGhee hung out to dry after losing a match to Kilmarnock in 2010. Source? Just type 'McGhee blames player' into Google.

Ainsworth made a mistake for sure, but to send him out to face the press like that was a disgrace and excuses the rest of the team and the manager for yet another dreadful display.

I get the impression that fans sometimes want to see players getting (what they see as) deserved pelters when they make a big mistake - but this episode shows why it's a pish idea. I've never really seen ritual public humiliation as a good management technique and in this case, it's unlikely to have any positive effect on Ainsworth at all - and very likely will kill whatever confidence he has left after a couple of months on the bench. Being responsible for a lapse that costs us a goal hardly makes him unique in our team - in fact he's be in a comfortable majority given the softness of the goals we tend to lose, so I've no idea why he was singled out in a way that McManus or Lasley or Hammell never would be.

Ainsworth is frustrating, of course he is, but when you look at some of the moments he's given us since he's been here, very few other players in our squad could come close to be being capable of it and I think the real mark of McGhee as a manager would be to be the one who gets the best out of Lionel, not being one that chucked him on the scrapheap to simply to avoid saying "I got it wrong".

The thing is, lots of managers have been known as "hard men" (Ferguson, Stein, Waddell, Lambie etc) but what went on in the dressing room, stayed in the dressing room. Go onto YouTube and search for Grasping the Thistle and you will see Lambie absolutely roast his players, but he never would have singled out a player in the way that McGhee did the other night. Utterly bizarre behaviour.

PS I'd have Ainsworth at Thistle in a heartbeat, I'm sure we'd get the best out of him.

Pretty sure Archie could make a better fist of it than McGhee. Apparently the Herald was suggesting a couple of senior players joined in. Surely not Stephen Pearson who needlessly hoofed the ball under zero pressure straight back to the opposition. Surely not Stephen McManus who headed the ball, under no pressure whatsoever, ten yards straight to our most dangerous player.

I think Motherwell have too much experience and quality to finish below Killie and probably Hamilton, but if McGhee and others keep behaving like that you never know.

I'm sure everyone of his 13 previous clubs thought the same.

The thing is, we're an underperforming SPFL team. Ainsworth is infuriating as when he's up for it he's one of the best players in the league. When he's not, he's rank rotten.

Ainsworth has played a few games where he has demolished teams almost single handedly. If he was capable of that form every week, he would never have came near us and would be worth £££££££££££.

Pretty sure Archie could make a better fist of it than McGhee. Apparently the Herald was suggesting a couple of senior players joined in. Surely not Stephen Pearson who needlessly hoofed the ball under zero pressure straight back to the opposition. Surely not Stephen McManus who headed the ball, under no pressure whatsoever, ten yards straight to our most dangerous player.

I think Motherwell have too much experience and quality to finish below Killie and probably Hamilton, but if McGhee and others keep behaving like that you never know.

I would be amazed if one of the "senior players" wasn't McDonald - he's never shy at getting stuck into others...

The thing is, we're an underperforming SPFL team. Ainsworth is infuriating as when he's up for it he's one of the best players in the league. When he's not, he's rank rotten.

Ainsworth has played a few games where he has demolished teams almost single handedly. If he was capable of that form every week, he would never have came near us and would be worth £££££££££££.

He's probably the most frustrating player I've seen at Fir Park.

Hopefully the last few days will have him itching to get a good game under his belt tomorrow.

20 goals & 20 assists in Lionel's first two seasons at Motherwell. At our level, that's priceless.

However, it seems that golden boy Marvin Johnson is protected as he seems to the "sellable asset". On their day, I'd have Lionel over Marvin in the side.

I'm not exactly sure what's going on, but Lionel is certainly not be used properly.

Archived