General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

4 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

No surprise that SNP MSPs receive more abusive social media posts than any other political party.

Over ten times as many as any other political party.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c2jd31ygxjno

Doesn't give the proportions of the 38 MSPs in the trial....

4 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

VILE CYBERNATS, or something.

Though given the time frame, there's a  good chance a fair chunk is NAT on NAT action

Gender wars, Sturgeon fallout, Where's my 600k, We Hate Kate, Alba etc etc

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, orfc said:

Doesn't give the proportions of the 38 MSPs in the trial....

Though given the time frame, there's a  good chance a fair chunk is NAT on NAT action

Gender wars, Sturgeon fallout, Where's my 600k, We Hate Kate, Alba etc etc

452 posts were deemed racist/religist.  That isn't acceptable, no matter which party is involved.

This was just MSPs - if you did the same for Westminster I suspect Sunak would have his own share of these types of post as well. 

Too many hide behind a keyboard and resort to this type of shit.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

Posted (edited)

LBC reporting that Sunak is poised to call a general election for 4 July...

Edit.. it is apparently being rumoured but the rumours are not being denied by those alleged to be in positions to deny...

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

12 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

LBC reporting that Sunak is poised to call a general election for 4 July...

Edit.. it is apparently being rumoured but the rumours are not being denied by those alleged to be in positions to deny...

I guess the "wait and see if England win the Euros" plan has been axed as unrealistic.

23 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I guess the "wait and see if England win the Euros" plan has been axed as unrealistic.

Sounds daft but that kind of effect is genuine, I think. Milei might not have won in Argentina had the football team not won the World Cup the previous year. Milei possibly managed to harness the euphoria a bit.

21 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

Sounds daft but that kind of effect is genuine, I think. Milei might not have won in Argentina had the football team not won the World Cup the previous year. Milei possibly managed to harness the euphoria a bit.

There is a belief that Labour lost the 1970 election because England lost to Germany in Mexico.

Posted (edited)

If it's July it'll be too soon for Swinney to do much about the SNP polling position and they are likely to get fragged. I'm surprised at Sunak not trying to waiy out one more budget cycle in the hope of a big giveaway but perhaps he's eager enough to get out of dodge and start a new life over in the States....

Edited by renton

The rumours of an early election are still going on. 

from the Mail though

The drama is threatening to set the Tory tinderbox ablaze, with MPs telling MailOnline that Mr Sunak has a 'death wish' and the Parliamentary party will go 'nuts' if he tries to call an election.

There are claims that 1922 chair Graham Brady is now accepting texts voicing no confidence in the leader. 

One former Cabinet minister said: 'There will be queues outside Graham Brady's door.' 

Another senior backbencher told MailOnline that even if Mr Sunak went to see the King they could attempt a coup to try to prevent the writ being moved to dissolve Parliament. 

What seems to be causing this is cabinet ministers cancelling travel plans and TV appearances. 

Cameron home from albania early; Shapps delaying his trip; Hunt pulling out of Robert Peston, etc

42 minutes ago, renton said:

If it's July it'll be too soon for Swinney to do much about the SNP polling position and they are likely to get fragged. I'm surprised at Sunak not trying to waiy out one more budget cycle in the hope of a big giveaway but perhaps he's eager enough to get out of dodge and start a new life over in the States....

In a way it’s not a bad thing for Swinney. Having an election so soon into his time as leader, he doesn’t really have to own the result. If the SNP make major losses now he can just throw the last guy under the bus. If the poll was held 6-9 months into his tenure and they made huge losses, that could be a resignation matter.

Full respect to these absolute mad lads.  Tory backbenchers going to vote out Sunak if he calls an election so they can hang onto their seats for a few more months.  Absolute legends, committed to the chaos.

Posted (edited)

I'm not particularly happy about this as a US resident. I want to enjoy the coverage of lots of worstcunts getting their Portillo moment, but knowing they'll be replaced by almost equally as shit c***s means I'm loth to hold back on my day of getting patriotically pished for Murica. 

Edited by carpetmonster