General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

The overall picture in England is proof positive yet again that Scotland needs to extract itself from the U.K.  The old adage that a working class person in Glasgow has more in common with a working class person in Tyneside is obviously no longer valid.

36 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The overall picture in England is proof positive yet again that Scotland needs to extract itself from the U.K.  The old adage that a working class person in Glasgow has more in common with a working class person in Tyneside is obviously no longer valid.

You're right. Newcastle and Gateshead put together have 2 less tory councillors (0) than Glasgow alone. They have little in common with the tory lickspittle weegies. 

43 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

'More in common' as opposed to who ?

Sunderland you mean.

35 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

John Mason being a c**t again, this time on the issue of abortion.  It is an absolute disgrace that the SNP facilitate this moron.

Surely he should be entitled to his own view on a matter like that?

I actually respect people of any party who go against the official party line, especially on social matters.

I would imagine Kate Forbes will have a similar view but keeps quiet.

The difference being that Mason likely has a genuine belief, as opposed to airing a view that goes against the orthodoxy purely for attention.

I suppose the giveaway would be starting with, "I don't know much about this issue, but..."

Just now, Dawson Park Boy said:

So?

And, I would guess he’ll be asked his views on abortion, gay marriage etc., and I bet he’ll give an honest answer, and why shouldn’t he?

What a weird response, I doubt he'll ask him about any of these things. I just thought the programme might be of interest to people reading a General Politics thread. Whereas I'm no fan of Neil as an individual or of his politics, he does his homework and can be a superb interviewer on occasion.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

The difference being that Mason likely has a genuine belief, as opposed to airing a view that goes against the orthodoxy purely for attention.

I suppose the giveaway would be starting with, "I don't know much about this issue, but..."

He has a ‘genuine belief’ that the planet is only 5,000 years old.  His ‘genuine beliefs’ are those of a fucking crackpot.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Andrew Neil's interviewing Jacob Rees Mogg on C4 at 6pm.

image.png.ffb2e60270e26998471642cebc17ad8a.pngimage.png.961458d2955054b1da63c5db0433cc73.png

Glad to see Pippa Crerar mention the £1000 cut pa cut in Universal Credit just before the adverts, but disappointed to see Neil ignore that as well as effects on supply chain inflation directly caused by Brexit. 

Edited by welshbairn

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

He has a ‘genuine belief’ that the planet is only 5,000 years old.  His ‘genuine beliefs’ are those of a fucking crackpot.

No argument there.

I take it God put the fossils there to test his faith? There's no arguing with logic!

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

No argument there.

I take it God put the fossils there to test his faith? There's no arguing with logic!

The only saving grace is that in Scotland/the U.K. creationists like Mason are in a tiny minority and are rightly ridiculed, in some other Western democracies there are proportionately more of them and their views are given legitimacy.

On a wider note as someone whose formative years were in the 60’s I genuinely thought the world would be in a better place now, that advances in technology linked to logic and rational thought would result in liberal, enlightened, forward thinking and fairer societies.  Instead we have greedy, avaricious, planet raping, theologically driven crackpots in every corner of the world making life shite for people.  It’s thoroughly depressing.