Power of Attorney

Romeo

My only advice would be to get this sorted as soon as possible while she is able to do so.

The alternative, which my missus has just gone through, is applying to the courts for Guardianship. That is a f*cking nightmare.

This. We do it all the time at work, guardianship is a nightmare.

Money and relatives do not mix.

Right troops.

Me and Mrs Romeo are in the position of having to organise POA for a relative with serious health issues (her maw).

In addition the hilarious responses do any of you guys have any experience of doing this, associated costs or other useful info?

Ta much.

Good luck, but from experience it can be an absolute nightmare. Your MIL will have to pass a medical assessment to confirm that she is capable of granting you permission to look after her affairs.

ie is it dementia and what stage?

Without getting into too much detail, she is getting slightly confused sometimes as she has terminal lung cancer which might possibly have spread to the brain. It's all very sudden and moving quickly which is why we needed to get things sorted sooner rather than later. the family have all had a chat and Mrs Romeo is gonna take this on.

Some good advice already so will move on this on Monday

Without getting into too much detail, she is getting slightly confused sometimes as she has terminal lung cancer which might possibly have spread to the brain. It's all very sudden and moving quickly which is why we needed to get things sorted sooner rather than later. the family have all had a chat and Mrs Romeo is gonna take this on.

Just learn to forge her signature.

I had to arrange POA for an elderly relative. It takes very little time if you can get a local solicitor to visit her, if she's not fit to visit them.

From memory it take a few weeks for the sealed documents to come through, but as long as the person has signed the papers when of sound mind, should be ok.

£400 or thereabouts is about right.

Just learn to forge her signature.

^^^

This & then contact Slippery P, a couple of business class tickets +£1000 (P&B rates) should cover it.

The will will leave everything to the Romeo's & possibly a small donation to Slippery's favourite animal charity -Bin Bag Dogs & bingo.

Grimbo

Sorry Romeo I never really paid attention to what you had said before I left a comment I assumed it was some boring legal pish.

It was fairly straightforward when my sister and I arranged joint POA, welfare and financial, for our parents. My Dad already had severe dementia but we explained it as best we could and he just about managed to scrawl a signature. If they're totally incapable I think someone like the family doctor or solicitor who knows them well can testify that they would have signed when in sound mind/health. The responsibility for acting on the POA is to do what they would have done when capable. You get the solicitor to draw up the form, get the doctor to sign it, have a witness for the subject's signing, and it gets sent off. Took 2 or three months to get authorised. Don't remember it costing that much, less than £300 I think for the 2. Could be wrong.

Got one done for my old man last year, was £190 plus VAT. That was a straight forward one though as he is still compus mentis, I guess costs could spiral if the person is deemed incapable or courts and doctors are required

If there's any suggestion that she's losing capacity then get it sorted asap. My firm charge £350 plus vat for one, £500 plus vat for a couple. If you need to a apply for guardianship then you're looking at upwards of three grand.

I take it that is the full package of POA+Will+Advance Directive? I got a solicitor to do this for me about 6 months ago and cost was just over £400 and was told a couple would cost about £650 (inc VAT)

• 3 years later...
1 minute ago, Chicken Wing said:
2 hours ago, Amorallity said:
A good attorney could help if in the worst case, you definitely need one to solve your problem if you have them

Can you help out Muller21QQQF?

2 lawyer themed posts on the same day. There will be a link to some law based website subtly dropped into a thread soon.