PPI Claims

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes the banks will refuse to print out old records as they say that costs them money. When i made my claim I sent a £10 postal order with the letter so the bank had no choice but to print out all records. 

Never made much difference though. 

Ps. If you have been bankrupt then be very careful about when you make a claim.

Apparently I was due £3967.  :lol:

I did both PPI and bank charges reclaims using templates on Money Saving Expert. I found it quite a drawn out process, due to the companies involved taking their time over replying to me, then initially refusing, before 'relenting' and 'making an offer as a goodwill gesture'. Still, better doing it yourself than having to fork out 30-odd% for some company to do it.

Claim yourself. You'd need to be fucking thick to go through one of these companies.

The banks will generally reject the claim a couple of times but the key is persistency. You can get free template letters online. It's really easy to do it yerself.

If you use a template letter and you had PPI they will refund it, pretty much no questions asked.

My father-in-laws partner worked in a bank branch around the time of PPI and they were told to push this with every product.  What a giant f**k up.

Being as tight as a fish's bathing costume I've never had any of these calls but I'd ask them about the process and if they mentioned English legal terms such as baliffs or magistrates courts I'd tell them to get tae as I live in Scotland. 

Or you could put on a Big Man voice "Some bank owes me money eh? I'll sort them out wi' ma chib..."

Hang on, i had an rbs account with an overdraft in 2004 would i have been paying ppi on that? Can i claim back bank charges also? did car sales etc have ppi added in? are there any obvious avenues to look down ive completely missed that are worth trying. never had a bank loan, got my first bank credit card in 2008? any help appreciated.

I'd check up if you had a car loan, doubt you'd have been made to get ppi for an overdraft. I had one with my mortgage that was paid off years ago. Got put off by all the adverts for claiming it back, and figured that I knowingly signed up for it so it's my fault if it was a bad deal. Now I'm thinking the banks screwed us for years and they basically blackmailed me into something I didn't really want when I was trying to get a mortgage. Down to RBS tomorrow for a form I think, maybe a wee holiday on the cards.

I got two cheques out of the blue last year from a car garage. They explained that a finance agreement they used when I bought a car was not correct and I got the best part of £3k. They must be mental - if never have known about it and never raised the issue but it was very welcome.

Or you could put on a Big Man voice "Some bank owes me money eh? I'll sort them out wi' ma chib..."

"The Big Man disnae get screwed over for PPI - The Big Man screws you, then pee-pee's in your eye!"

• 2 years later...

I had a cast iron case as the BOS mortgage I’d originally taken PPI out on had been paid back in full 12 years ago when I changed my mortgage provider. BOS kept charging me for the PPI for another decade or so, even though the mortgage no longer existed.

For a long time I assumed the direct debit to BOS insurance was for home and contents or something, until I got a letter saying my monthly PPI payments were changing. I immediately got onto BOS and demanded a refund, which I assumed would be a formality.

I’d underestimated the Bank’s willingness to contest an open and shut case, and despite charging me PPI on a mortgage that hadn't existed for over a decade, they (bizarrely) refused to settle.

Took them to the Ombusdman and, after a wait of about a year, got considerably more (well over 8k) than I’d have been prepared to settle for in the first place. 

15 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

never bothered to claim anything back, suppose a few thousand would be ok though, so what would be the best way to go if you can't remember who and when you had loans with?

I remembered a couple of years back that I had a car loan with M&S sometime around 2004.  Thats literally all I had to go on, couldnt remember when it started, ended etc.

Filled in the Ombudsman questionnaire and used Martin Lewis template letter.  8 weeks later first thing I knew was a cheque back from M&S.  They'd also found some other store card shite that I had a few years before the loan so stumped up for that as well.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/ppi/im-looking-for-your-ppi-forms.html

12 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

I had a cast iron case as the BOS mortgage I’d originally taken PPI out on had been paid back in full 12 years ago when I changed my mortgage provider. BOS kept charging me for the PPI for another decade or so, even though the mortgage no longer existed.

For a long time I assumed the direct debit to BOS insurance was for home and contents or something, until I got a letter saying my monthly PPI payments were changing. I immediately got onto BOS and demanded a refund, which I assumed would be a formality.

I’d underestimated the Bank’s willingness to contest an open and shut case, and despite charging me PPI on a mortgage that hadn't existed for over a decade, they (bizarrely) refused to settle.

Took them to the Ombusdman and, after a wait of about a year, got considerably more (well over 8k) than I’d have been prepared to settle for in the first place. 

What was their argument out of interest?

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

What was their argument out of interest?

They didn’t seem to have one, they just refused to pay. I think that’s their default position, certainly at first, in the hope that applicants just give up and go away. It was complicated by the fact that HBOS had been taken over by Lloyds and they’d farmed the insurance out, so there were several layers of impenetrable bureaucracy involved,  enabling various departments to deny responsibility.  I was surprised they stuck to that position though, given their obvious liability, and the level of business I do / did with the Bank. 

1 hour ago, knee jerk reaction said:

never bothered to claim anything back, suppose a few thousand would be ok though, so what would be the best way to go if you can't remember who and when you had loans with?

Just go with the Claims Guys. Give them a list of everything that you can think of where you might have had financial dealings. They will do all the donkey work to find if you have any claims and then send you a list of all your claims. Once you have their list, just use the Martin Lewis template and claim all for yourself. They will keep sending you letters but just ignore them.

28 minutes ago, supermik said:

Just go with the Claims Guys. Give them a list of everything that you can think of where you might have had financial dealings. They will do all the donkey work to find if you have any claims and then send you a list of all your claims. Once you have their list, just use the Martin Lewis template and claim all for yourself. They will keep sending you letters but just ignore them.

That's exactly what I've done.  As long as you don't send anything back to the claims guys once they've sent you the list you don't owe them anything. They'll pester f**k out you but just block their number. 

Archived