Queen of the South Management Team

Has any interviews took place yet or are we still sifting through the applications?

Still sifting through applications and studying CV's according to today's papers, and no-one interviewed yet. What's going on behind the scenes however may be quite different.

All will be revealed in due course but personally I'm not overly concerned at the timescale it is taking. I'd rather the BoD took an extra week or two and made sure they got the best candidate available. The outcome of the play-off games could also influence who is available. 

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not really the thread to discuss it but I agree to a certain extend that Alexander was probably treated a bit unfairly after the demise of Gretna.  Davie Irons was able to waltz into a few jobs afterwards and make a complete pigs ear of it, whereas I don't recall "Super Ro" even being in the running for any jobs post-Gretna.  He was tagged as a bit of a lunatic, especially after turning up at Motherwell for a game despite being put on gardening leave.  I'm sure that was under instruction from his lawyer though to prove he was still fit and able to work.  I also have a bit of sympathy for him getting swept up in the whole fairytale nonsense because he was at Gretna pre-Mileson, so for him it must have felt like a bit of a dream.  Even if it was obvious from the offset it was doomed for failure.

You can say pretty justifiably that you reap what you sow, but I think he was taken advantage of by Mileson almost as much as the supporters and the rest of the staff and creditors he fucked over.

Of course one look at this picture and my sympathy soon evaporates!

_41404535_rownalexanderkilt270.jpg

Good post.

I'm sure he's not in the running for this job and I wouldn't much want him to be.

I think he was quite badly damaged by the Gretna experience though and I feel for him.

It's not really the thread to discuss it but I agree to a certain extend that Alexander was probably treated a bit unfairly after the demise of Gretna.  Davie Irons was able to waltz into a few jobs afterwards and make a complete pigs ear of it, whereas I don't recall "Super Ro" even being in the running for any jobs post-Gretna.  He was tagged as a bit of a lunatic, especially after turning up at Motherwell for a game despite being put on gardening leave.  I'm sure that was under instruction from his lawyer though to prove he was still fit and able to work.  I also have a bit of sympathy for him getting swept up in the whole fairytale nonsense because he was at Gretna pre-Mileson, so for him it must have felt like a bit of a dream.  Even if it was obvious from the offset it was doomed for failure.

You can say pretty justifiably that you reap what you sow, but I think he was taken advantage of by Mileson almost as much as the supporters and the rest of the staff and creditors he fucked over.

Of course one look at this picture and my sympathy soon evaporates!

_41404535_rownalexanderkilt270.jpg

I wouldn't want him within 50 miles of Palmerston on a saturday but I think Davie Irons has done fairly competently without being spectacular most of his manageiral gigs and players do seem to always think highly of him, but whenever you here him speak it's always never his fault that the money disappeared or he got ousted by senior players at Morton. Alexander was always his way or the highway and was always likely to fall out with people, I don't think he had much time left in senior football until Gretna got the money that they did. But like a lot of people he got swept up in the lies of one man and has returned to the shadows.

The turning up at Motherwell thing was perfectly reasonable behaviour on Alexander's part - he was doing so to ensure he couldn't be punted on the cheap for not turning up for work. The main issue is that he's just not that great a manager.

Obviously we've seen with the wonders of Ally McCoist as a manager that it is indeed possible to f**k up a title even when your budget is bigger than the rest of your division put together, but that doesn't make it a great achievement when you do win leagues that way. Had Gretna failed to win the Second or Third Divisions it would have been a sackable offence for Alexander, and while it's often said that Gretna went downhill as soon as Irons took over it's not really a fair reflection. Irons did take them on a run of four games without a win which allowed St. Johnstone to nearly catch them, but that wasn't some rapid dip in form out of nowhere as soon as Irons took over - they'd only won once in Alexander's last five games. There's really nothing to suggest he's a better manager than Irons.

The turning up at Motherwell thing was perfectly reasonable behaviour on Alexander's part - he was doing so to ensure he couldn't be punted on the cheap for not turning up for work. The main issue is that he's just not that great a manager.

Obviously we've seen with the wonders of Ally McCoist as a manager that it is indeed possible to f**k up a title even when your budget is bigger than the rest of your division put together, but that doesn't make it a great achievement when you do win leagues that way. Had Gretna failed to win the Second or Third Divisions it would have been a sackable offence for Alexander, and while it's often said that Gretna went downhill as soon as Irons took over it's not really a fair reflection. Irons did take them on a run of four games without a win which allowed St. Johnstone to nearly catch them, but that wasn't some rapid dip in form out of nowhere as soon as Irons took over - they'd only one once in Alexander's last five games. There's really nothing to suggest he's a better manager than Irons.

Another good post.

Alexander and Irons probably break fairly even in terms of any direct comparison.

The entire Gretna thing was so ludicrous however, such a grotesque mismatch between stature and temporary, flimsy means that any real reading of managerial ability is virtually impossible.

We were all so bugged by the dishonesty that attended it all - fairytales and suchlike - that objectivity is tricky.

The whole nonsense took plenty of decent victims though.

I always felt a bit sorry for Rowan. I dont think we ever really saw the best of him. By the end he looked and sounded clinically depressed. That's not to say it'd be a good idea to have him back tho. In contrast I'm pretty sure I've seen enough of Davie Irons to know I wouldn't want to be cheering him on any time soon.

I always felt a bit sorry for Rowan. I dont think we ever really saw the best of him. By the end he looked and sounded clinically depressed. That's not to say it'd be a good idea to have him back tho. In contrast I'm pretty sure I've seen enough of Davie Irons to know I wouldn't want to be cheering him on any time soon.

Do you think Alexander is looked upon as a Queens legend or more of a Morton legend?

Have a bit more respect young man.

Rowan was a great player for Queens.

He was certainly a better player than he was a manager. Great striker for Queens and Morton to be fair.

I think Rowan got caught up in the hype around Gretna, I can't say I am friend of his but if I bump into him we do have a good chat. He has never said a bad word about Queens in my company. He did once say how he regretted running onto the pitch at Palmerston and giving it the big one when Gretna pumped us five something in the first league match between us. As for Irons came across him at work and in the pub a few times, complete T#@T !!! Doubt Rowan would throw his hat in for the Queens job anyways but you never know.

Heard someone mention Neil McFarlane for the job, last I heard he was assistant manager at Coventry am sure !!!

I think Rowan got caught up in the hype around Gretna, I can't say I am friend of his but if I bump into him we do have a good chat. He has never said a bad word about Queens in my company. He did once say how he regretted running onto the pitch at Palmerston and giving it the big one when Gretna pumped us five something in the first league match between us. As for Irons came across him at work and in the pub a few times, complete T#@T !!! Doubt Rowan would throw his hat in for the Queens job anyways but you never know.

Heard someone mention Neil McFarlane for the job, last I heard he was assistant manager at Coventry am sure !!!

Rowan still occasionally attends the odd game at Palmerston. He's not a bad guy.

Neil Macfarlane is Steven Pressley's assistant at Fleetwood Town as he was at Coventry before that. He left Coventry last summer after initially remaining as Mowbray's assistant after Pressley was sacked there.

As for Irons came across him at work and in the pub a few times

Irons is teetotal. The few times I spoke to him I found him to be a surprisingly nice guy, but if he's attending pubs while teetotal he has to be considered a total wrong 'un.

Irons is teetotal. The few times I spoke to him I found him to be a surprisingly nice guy, but if he's attending pubs while teetotal he has to be considered a total wrong 'un.

Am a vegetarian but that doesn't stop me walking past the fish counter in Tesco !!!

Super ro is a morton legend imo. A brilliant striker ans one of my all time favourite players. He's been mentioned a few times when we've been looking for a new manager. Irons had a decent record at Morton. Always came across as an absolute c**t though.

Guest Back Post Misses

Sure I saw him on Fleetwoods bench on Monday

Archived