Queen of the South Management Team

I hope we don't go down the route of appointing a novice manager or one with very little experience. James Fowler got away with it last season to a large extent because he inherited a fairly settled and good squad and he had also played with them.  He was undoubtedly unlucky that two of the fancied  players in his squad rebuilding, Tapping and Hilson, missed the majority of this season with injuries.  Marshall, Hutton and Thomson were positives but Conroy and Hefferman were failures and Jacobs falls somewhere in between because he probably never got a run in a settled position.

If the Board are as ambitious as they say I would like to see an appointment that shows some backing to that ambition and not appoint someone who is basically learning on the job. 

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck with him

Not been seen since Fowler's departure.

Wouldn't be averse to taking him at all, despite a pretty rancid year with you lot. Always looked handy against us for Dundee and has a habit of scoring some absolute thunderpeaches which is always nice

Not been seen since Fowler's departure.

Rarely been seen all season in fairness.

Wouldn't be averse to taking him at all, despite a pretty rancid year with you lot. Always looked handy against us for Dundee and has a habit of scoring some absolute thunderpeaches which is always nice

It would be a bit too much like your failed Wullie Gibson experiment would it not?  There is no doubting Conroy has natural ability but his work rate is non-existent turning him into a luxury struggling teams like ours can ill afford.

Rarely been seen all season in fairness.

It would be a bit too much like your failed Wullie Gibson experiment would it not?  There is no doubting Conroy has natural ability but his work rate is non-existent turning him into a luxury struggling teams like ours can ill afford.

To be fair the Gibson one was a pretty different experiment. On the pitch he was far more hardworking than most of our fans expected, certainly spent a lot of time tracking back. His form dipped, and he was dropped. Then after coming back into the team his son was born and so he missed a few training sessions and again found himself on the bench.

After the sensational performance against Raith he got an injury, ended up on the bench. Again. Before leaving as he couldn't justify the travelling time if he wasn't getting played, and pretty sure he got a new job as well.

We could do with someone with a bit of quality on the ball in midfield, and with him living minutes from the stadium, he could be a suitable guy for that role.

To be fair the Gibson one was a pretty different experiment. On the pitch he was far more hardworking than most of our fans expected, certainly spent a lot of time tracking back. His form dipped, and he was dropped. Then after coming back into the team his son was born and so he missed a few training sessions and again found himself on the bench.

After the sensational performance against Raith he got an injury, ended up on the bench. Again. Before leaving as he couldn't justify the travelling time if he wasn't getting played, and pretty sure he got a new job as well.

We could do with someone with a bit of quality on the ball in midfield, ​and with him living minutes from the stadium,  he could be a suitable guy for that role.

If he runs to the stadium it may take longer than a few minutes.

I actually thought he would be a good signing for us and early season displays were encouraging, although scoring a couple of spectacular goals from free-kicks probably enhanced that view.  The main problems I had was his lack of pace and tendency to slow down a good attacking move. 

If you want a player simply for taking free-kicks and corners he'll do a job but don't expect him to track back or put tackles in when he loses the ball.

I wouldn't want him to re-sign but he did score possibly one of the best goals I've ever witnessed by a QoS player. His goal Vs Annan at the start of the season was an absolute peach and would have been slapped all over the papers if a player like Rooney had scored it :lol:

Jim Chapman would be an absolutely hilarious appointment. Astounding he's been touted by anyone here.

He's not been "touted" by anyone ;) I merely stated I was surprised he's never listed on the odds. Seeing him sitting at 28/1 wouldn't be any more surprising than McCoist or Moore who are sitting at 33/1.

If he runs to the stadium it may take longer than a few minutes.

I actually thought he would be a good signing for us and early season displays were encouraging, although scoring a couple of spectacular goals from free-kicks probably enhanced that view.  The main problems I had was his lack of pace and tendency to slow down a good attacking move. 

If you want a player simply for taking free-kicks and corners he'll do a job but don't expect him to track back or put tackles in when he loses the ball.

You're speaking to a guy who's watched a team last year containing Darren Barr, Frazer Wright, Steven Saunders and Christian Nade  :lol:

Pace is overrated 

You're speaking to a guy who's watched a team last year containing Darren Barr, Frazer Wright, Steven Saunders and Christian Nade  :lol:

Pace is overrated 

I'm maybe being a bit harsh on Conroy criticising his pace (or lack of it as the case may be). He probably didn't do enough running about to form a proper opinion.  

He's not been "touted" by anyone ;) I merely stated I was surprised he's never listed on the odds. Seeing him sitting at 28/1 wouldn't be any more surprising than McCoist or Moore who are sitting at 33/1.

He's not on the lists because any sane Championship board wouldn't dream of appointing him and the fact that nobody has been mental enough to ask for odds on him yet.  He'd do a better job than McCoist though, I'll give you that.

He's not on the lists because any sane Championship board wouldn't dream of appointing him and the fact that nobody has been mental enough to ask for odds on him yet. He'd do a better job than McCoist though, I'll give you that.

Don't know about that Ally has the contacts that could get some quality loan players in.

Don't know about that Ally has the contacts that could get some quality loan players in.

Even if that were true and he was able to sign the best young talent in the world on loan, I'd still have more confidence in Jim Chapman organising a team of Junior level jobbers in a better fashion.

Archived