Prince

P45

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easy to spot the different age ranges on p and b when something like this happens. Folk of a certain age (40 maybe?), who have grown up and listened to the music of extremely talented musicians for most of their life are genuinely upset when they die. Recently this has been Frey, Bowie and Prince.

Soon there won't be any legends left. And the musical world will die on its arse.

Easy to spot the different age ranges on p and b when something like this happens. Folk of a certain age (40 maybe?), who have grown up and listened to the music of extremely talented musicians for most of their life are genuinely upset when they die. Recently this has been Frey, Bowie and Prince.

Soon there won't be any legends left. And the musical world will die on its arse.

I'm 35 and you're talking pish biscuits.

Do you think musical talent has just dried up in the last 20 or so years? It's generational, and plenty of kids have a cracking appreciation of older music.

Prince was clearly an unbelievable talent but he wasn't by any means everyone's cup of tea.

When ignorant tubes spout disrespectful pish it's best just to ignore it (plenty of our generation would've done the same about artists from the 50s and 60s).

Superb

P.s prince overrated

Overrated? He once played the Hammersmith Apollo - he came on playing drums, then bass, then piano, then guitar, then broke into a Led Zepplin cover. He wrote, arranged, produced and played almost all of his hit records.

Overrated? He once played the Hammersmith Apollo - he came on playing drums, then bass, then piano, then guitar, then broke into a Led Zepplin cover. He wrote, arranged, produced and played almost all of his hit records.

And he could dance and was awesome at ping pong.

I'm 35 and you're talking pish biscuits.

Do you think musical talent has just dried up in the last 20 or so years? It's generational, and plenty of kids have a cracking appreciation of older music.

Prince was clearly an unbelievable talent but he wasn't by any means everyone's cup of tea.

When ignorant tubes spout disrespectful pish it's best just to ignore it (plenty of our generation would've done the same about artists from the 50s and 60s).

Fair enough maybe I'm just getting old. But I'm struggling to name anyone making music right now who people will be listening to in 20 years time.

So did Roy Castle and he played them all at the same time while tap dancing. Don't talk to me about legends.

I can understand why a lot of people didn't like him. He released so much music in many different styles.

But I honestly believe he was the most talented person I've ever seen.

I used to say this before he died, so I don't feel like too much of a p***k for saying it now---I would argue that he's absolutely the most talented musician of my lifetime. Hit songwriter, hit producer, absolutely incredible multi-instrumentalist, great voice and a flair for showmanship. 

He's not my favourite musician, but in terms of sheer raw talent the man was incredible. 

Fair enough maybe I'm just getting old. But I'm struggling to name anyone making music right now who people will be listening to in 20 years time.

Broaden your horizons a bit, there's still loads of great music out there.

There's just a lot of shite you have to sift through first to find it.

Despite taking the piss a bit on this thread I respect Prince as a musician, he's written and performed some amazing music.

Same goes for MJ, doesn't mean they shouldn't be called on their 'strangeness'.

So fucking what. He couldn't lace sly stones crackpipe

Agree with both Biscuits and Pandarilla there.

Music is very cyclical and generational, having grown up mainly in the 80's and early 90's all the bands I listen to are from that era or before, when I was younger and played in bands I was influenced from everything as wide ranging as Duran Duran to The Doors, from Simple Minds to The Beach Boys, from Depeche Mode to The Stone Roses and from The Manic Street Preachers to Fleetwood Mac, there hasnt been a single band emerge this century I've genuinely liked enough to buy an album of theres or go see live. Thats not to say there isnt talent ot inivative songwriters out there, just nothing in particular that stands out for me, the flip of that is that many of the younger posters on here may snigger at some of the bands I've just listed.

Regarding Prince, he was one of the most talented musicians, songwriters and performers of the modern era, I wont lie and admit to being a fanatic but, like I touched on in the Abba thread listening to all the tunes and hits and how you recognise them all is indicative of the songwriting prowess

Reading about him earlier and the song he wrote for others brought me to this, sounds like a Prince song, you can imagine him singing it quite easily...

....plus it reminded me how smoking hot Suzanne Hoff was and still is :wub:

Your parents would have said the same about Prince.

Before anyone gets too excited about Prince's musical abilities, bear in mind that Justin Bieber apparently plays a similar array of instruments. You can be technically excellent and write subjectively shite tunes.

Funny thing with Prince is that I don't think I ever liked any of the songs he performed (well, Batdance excepted   :lol: ), but I liked quite a few versions that were performed by other people. Go figure.

I'm far from a Prince purist but some of his output up to Sign of the Times was very good.  Never made a perfect album and, being the maverick that he was, there's loads of quality stuff that's remained unreleased offically.  The mid 80s' Dream Factory and Parade bootlegs have some incredible tracks on them that never saw the light of day via a record company.

Dam Funk (a huge enthusiast) made a nice Prince mix in 2012 for the 50th edition of Wax Poetics that I'd recommend a lot.

Archived