shire v edin city

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whether they get back into the SPFL or not, hopefully the Shire get onto an even keel financially and get back to having their own ground eventually. By now everyone should realise that we're all only an acquisitive or incompetent chairman away from ruin, or worse - one of the new towns.

Seems like Edinburgh City are a fair first addition, and no doubt the old Meadowbank fans in their support will be glad to return. Doesn't make up for what happened to their old club, but you'd like to think that won't be allowed to happen again   :rolleyes:

As for my club, Mackin has so so much to answer for. Sadly the greed of an individual can have such an adverse affect on that which he attacks that there is little left to fight back against. Shire fans have been fighting back against the evil of this for more than 10 years and this will not stop as we now go out of the proffesional leagues.

The LL is part of the professional board so that last bit is not fully accurate. Alan Mackin will always be the crazy bampot in a Falkirk jersey, who broke Jamie Fairlie's leg to me, but don't think all of the Shire's woes can be pinned on him. The Shire were dodging winding up orders long before he arrived on the scene and even when Billy Lamont put a decent team together that won promotion in 1979-80 the core support was in the dozens rather than hundreds. I know because I was there as Max Boyce used to say.

Think the expectation was when the playoff was brought in that there would be minimal turnover, as long as the top junior superleague clubs steered well clear, but the unexpected emergence of Stirling Uni, East Kilbride and Cumbernauld Colts along with Spartans at the top end of the LL table, with Whitehill Welfare and Gretna also still in the mix along with Formartine, Inverurie Locos and Cove Rangers up north, means there are plenty of clubs that can be expected to be genuinely up for it and to take a serious run at SPFL entry in the years ahead. The Shire won't be the last club 42 victim on this and that should reinvigorate the fourth tier.  

Feel sorry for all the Shire fans this morning. Various factions have been against you for years which has not helped your cause. Hopefully you will have a quick return.

A quick return I fear will not happen for Shire just like most L2 teams would struggle. Probably Shire's biggest problem is they don't have a place to call home- as I understand it Firs Park was sold with the club seeing very little of the money. I doubt playing at Stenny is sustainable.

Most League 2 teams would cope with relegation imo, but Shire will need to totally start again. They've got their name which should be an attraction if they can sort everything else out. The worst thing they could do is strive for an immediate return.

I'm not having that most clubs at this level would be relegated and stand no chance of ever returning though. Selkirk, Whitehill, Gala and some of the uni teams are hardly super clubs, guaranteed to be better than current league two clubs if they end up at the same level.

Based on yesterday's performance and the likelihood of losing their best players the shire will be struggling to win the lowland league. I've seen a few games in LL and the gap is undoubtedly closing!

Based on yesterday's performance and the likelihood of losing their best players the shire will be struggling to win the lowland league. I've seen a few games in LL and the gap is undoubtedly closing!

Haud the bus, Shire do not have good players, they have fit individuals schooled in hoofing the ball.

That seems to have fallen through and the rumours now revolve around sharing the athletics stadium in Grangemouth. Apparently the Shire are staying at Ochilview next season and the parachute payment means they probably will have comparable finances available for at least for the first season in the LL, so maybe they are rolling the dice and are hoping they can bounce straight back up.

I couldn't care less.

Your tears are enough for me mate.

No tears here buddy😀a fresh start in our own wee place might just turn our fortunes around although sadly it's been reported that there may be an issues with the notice period

Absolutely devastated by yesterday's result. Played a horrible route one game that seems to appear anytime we face pressure. Got what we deserve based on yesterday's performance.

Makes you seriously worry about how many years the club has left with the current financial situation, getting out of Stenny seems to be a start but we will be there for another season at least due to the notice period. A lot of questions to be answered and hopefully some of them will be after the board meeting tomorrow. Hopefully an announcement that Craig Tully has fucked off and is never coming back. Time will tell.

Based on yesterday I thought the opposite. Having seen Arbroath this season they'd comfortably have dealt with Edinburgh City over two legs imo.

Yesterday was a strange game to watch. Edinburgh were comfortably the better side over the 90 minutes, but the longer the game dragged on without a goal, the more the neutral suspected that City would rue failing to turn their dominance into clear cut chances.

I haven't ever seen Ochilview as busy and am surprised at the low official attendance- I thought there was nearer to 1800 / 1900 there.

Shire had a couple of early half chances but failed really to test Amos in the City goal. The occasion, strangely, seemed to get to Shire much more than it did City. City worked hard in the first half and got particular joy on the right wing, where they had a couple of nippy players who pulled the Shire defence about. But, on the occasions when a ball was fired into the box, Allum was very closely marshalled by the Shire central defence and was unable to have a clear sight of goal.

A dreadful first half dominated by two nervy and disjointed midfields didn't really improve after the interval. The only thing that did change, however, was that City's dominance of the game gradually increased. From around the hour mark they won corner after corner and really began to work the Shire keeper, who had a good game. Indeed the match would have been over much earlier but for a couple of smart saves; one, low down to his right at the base of the post, to turn away a fine shot from a City attacker, kept his team in the game.

As the tension ramped up so the quality dropped worryingly close to the "zero" mark. City forwards had a couple of brainless scoops over the bar when very well placed. Shire were awarded a free kick six or seven yards from the edge of the City box, a dangerous position with the penalty area packed with players. The taker, ludicrously, hit the ball straight into the arms of the grateful Amos.

Extra time really seemed likely and some neutrals chafed that they were faced with "another half hour of this pish". But suddenly a lofted ball was dinked towards Allum, who had the beating of Donaldson, and the City centre forward, finally free of the shackles that had constrained him all afternoon, burst clear. He arrowed into the area, head down, and the Shire keeper began to come off his line. All of a sudden, he crashed to the floor under the weight of a desperate Donaldson challenge. Stupid- the goalie arguably may have done enough to block any shot- and the clearest penalty and sending off I've seen this season. The tension was excruciating suddenly, as the distraught Donaldson trudged off and the goalkeeper and Shire captain argued a little bit with the ref.

Gair's penalty was nerveless and low to the goalkeeper's right. 1-0, and bedlam from the 400 or so City fans in the ground.

It really was too late for Shire to do anything. Nonetheless, stung out of their lethargy, they won a corner. The set piece didn't even clear the first defender, which summed up Shire's afternoon. The ball was cleared and ninety seconds later the referee's final whistle signalled City's deserved promotion, and Shire's drop out of the senior ranks. The City players and coaching staffed charged pell-mell into to the noisy wee boys behind the goal that had sung their prasies all afternoon. Shire's Craig Tully and his staff stood immobile in the dugout, in shock.

Really, for the neutral, there was no defence for Shire yesterday. They simply didn't show enough desire or application in a niggly game, to win. Edinburgh were better on the day and had a huge appetite for promotion and to play at a higher level.

What now for both teams? Huge changes, for different reasons.

For City, they have a really hard working and fit team based on community spirit and clear club values. That won't be enough to keep them in the senior ranks for long. After the celebrations have died down, they have a fine balance to strike between the kind of spirit that got them into League Two, and signing the experienced characters who will help keep them there. City looked great on the ball but were very blunt in attack- the much vaunted Allum didn't really have a sniff of goal yesterday. Finding a replacement for the effortless Mbu will be a very tough ask, as well. But with a few good signings and a seamless merging of new faces in a promotion winning side I am sure that they can match if not better Annan's settling into the senior ranks in the years ahead.

As for Shire? really, who knows. Were I on the Shire board I would clear out all but 2-3 of a squad which surrended nearly a century of league membership so meekly yesterday. The young goalkeeper looked worth persisting with but really very few of the outfielders showed they were worth another deal. Manager Tully and his staff will probably be moved on as well.

Shire will go into an unfamiliar level as a "name" that all of these hungry Lowland Leaguers will want a piece of. That may work for them too, if they can attract the required standard of players to the club that will help take them forward. A new and well connected coach that knows the league, and a small core of ambitious players, may turn things around for them in a couple of seasons- instant promotion looks the least likely of scenarios. The big question is, does the club have the time, money and potential fanbase for all of this to happen?

Best of luck to both clubs for the huge transitional summer that lies ahead.

Historical stat attack - people talking about the unexpected, phoenix-like return of Meadowbank Stadium after 20-odd years. Having looked it up this is (AFAICS) the first time since 1931 a new club has come into the Scottish League using a former Scottish League ground.

Powderhall on that occasion: and the club was... Edinburgh City!

Archived