The Partick Thistle thread

The weak mentality/shit the bed thing has been there since promotion. As wanky as it sounds, perhaps a proper sports psychologist for the players AND management might inject confidence or a willingness to win against the "big teams"

Something has to change when it comes to the team and management pretty much accepting they aren't getting anything from a game before a ball has been kicked.

This has been a bad season, but I think it is only the 2nd time since our promotion that we have been “fighting relegation” after the split.
The reality for Thistle(and probably everyone else outside the top 4) is that we will be in the relegation dogfight more often than not. We will be in with a chance of top 6 now and again. Winning a cup/getting to a cup final or beating the old firm would be a bonus, but it is surely not the objective for Thistle

33 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Jack Henry ?
Liam Lindsay ?

You're clutching at straws if you think he signed a youth player or someone who was already in the youth system when he joined.

24 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

This has been a bad season, but I think it is only the 2nd time since our promotion that we have been “fighting relegation” after the split.
The reality for Thistle(and probably everyone else outside the top 4) is that we will be in the relegation dogfight more often than not. We will be in with a chance of top 6 now and again. Winning a cup/getting to a cup final or beating the old firm would be a bonus, but it is surely not the objective for Thistle

That's exactly the type of loser mentality that pervades the club. What's the point in us being in this league if our aim is to simply survive? When the other sides outside the top 4 get even remotely close to a season as terrible as we're having scoring 30 goals and gaining 30 points in the process they try to do something about it whether that be a change of manager or further backing in the transfer window or whatever. We, on the other hand, make weak statements about not tolerating poor results before the board stick their head in the sand for the next 6 months as the season continues to be as shite as it was in October That's why teams like Kilmarnock and Motherwell have been in the league for 20 odd years and teams like us and Inverness last season with Foran sleepwalk through a season into an absolute mess of a situation. Getting to a cup semi final or beating the better sides in the league should not be a bonus and this mentality is a large part of the reason why only Hamilton out of all the full time teams, not just other Premier League teams, have a worse record in the cups than us over the last 20 or 30 years . Every single other team in the league, including those relegated in recent years, have managed these apparent bonuses since we won promotion and many of them have achieved them on a regular basis. It's pathetic we couldn't manage either of them in the last 5 years. 

Alan Archibald: "John Lambie said to me last year, 'What the f@#k are you doing finishing in the top six, son? Don't do things like that as they'll expect it every year!"

That's exactly the type of loser mentality that pervades the club. What's the point in us being in this league if our aim is to simply survive? When the other sides outside the top 4 get even remotely close to a season as terrible as we're having scoring 30 goals and gaining 30 points in the process they try to do something about it whether that be a change of manager or further backing in the transfer window or whatever. We, on the other hand, make weak statements about not tolerating poor results before the board stick their head in the sand for the next 6 months as the season continues to be as shite as it was in October That's why teams like Kilmarnock and Motherwell have been in the league for 20 odd years and teams like us and Inverness last season with Foran sleepwalk through a season into an absolute mess of a situation. Getting to a cup semi final or beating the better sides in the league should not be a bonus and this mentality is a large part of the reason why only Hamilton out of all the full time teams, not just other Premier League teams, have a worse record in the cups than us over the last 20 or 30 years . Every single other team in the league, including those relegated in recent years, have managed these apparent bonuses since we won promotion and many of them have achieved them on a regular basis. It's pathetic we couldn't manage either of them in the last 5 years. 

At the moment we are still in the league. Killie and Well have been in the playoffs since we got promoted. Ross County tried changing theirs twice and it didn’t help them.
I don’t think it is a bonus if you end up relegated!
I don’t have a loser attitude - I have a realistic attitude

I was only asking the question about Henry and Lindsay.
But I do think that limiting the selling on of players signed is again unrealistic, particularly these days when players usually only move on at the end of their contract.
Anyway, I will try another - I think we got money from Cambridge for Azeez

At the moment we are still in the league. Killie and Well have been in the playoffs since we got promoted. Ross County tried changing theirs twice and it didn’t help them.
I don’t think it is a bonus if you end up relegated!
I don’t have a loser attitude - I have a realistic attitude

Ross County’s problem isn’t that they changed, it’s that they appointed an absolute fraud in Coyle who patently didn’t have a clue what he was doing. Sacking McIntyre was still the right thing to do.

And yes, Killie and Well have both been in the playoffs, are the managers responsible still in charge/having banners about them displayed at matches?

Realistically, we’re always going to have some seasons where we struggle, but that does not mean the board should stand by and do nothing about it. Which is what they’re doing. But it’s also realistic to expect that we have some success against the bigger teams in the league, or something notable in a cup every once in a while. Every other full time club can.

Ross County’s problem isn’t that they changed, it’s that they appointed an absolute fraud in Coyle who patently didn’t have a clue what he was doing. Sacking McIntyre was still the right thing to do.

And yes, Killie and Well have both been in the playoffs, are the managers responsible still in charge/having banners about them displayed at matches?

Realistically, we’re always going to have some seasons where we struggle, but that does not mean the board should stand by and do nothing about it. Which is what they’re doing. But it’s also realistic to expect that we have some success against the bigger teams in the league, or something notable in a cup every once in a while. Every other full time club can.

On what grounds was sacking McIntyre the right decision. It didn’t improve their position and probably just cost them money.
How many managers did Killie and Well have to go through to get to safety this season. The guys that took them to the playoffs hadn’t had success previously, I don’t think.
It is a huge risk for Thistle either way. But if we do it should be for more than a cup run and a win against Rangers and Celtic

4 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

That's why teams like Kilmarnock and Motherwell have been in the league for 20 odd years and teams like us and Inverness last season with Foran sleepwalk through a season into an absolute mess of a situation. 

30 odd years mate

Correct. Ade Azeez arrived on a free and we got money from Cambridge United.

It’s hardly a transfer fee. The club allowed Azeez to leave if Cambridge bought out his contract on his year left which was probably about 50k.

Jagsfan57 I agree with Pie of the Month. That mentality isn’t realistic for clubs in our range. You say “anything against the OF is a bonus.” Almost every other team in the league has got a win versus the OF in the last 3-4 years. Have we? We haven’t beaten our Glasgow rivals for decades. Certainly Rangers has been since early nineties. I was at that game as a youngster. It’s really embarrassing especially as Sevco are there for the taking this past couple of years.

St Johnstone, St Mirren, Ross County, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, ICT to name a few have all made cup finals this past 10 years. We’re not asking to win it. Just get us there. Our last semi-final was again Rangers and it was decades ago.

Is it not a realistic aim for a club progressing like Thistle to make a semi-final or final once every 5-10 years? I don’t think that’s unrealistic.

This we can’t be successful because we don’t have the resources doesn’t stop Saint Johnstone or Kilmarnock. We need to move on from that mentality.

4 minutes ago, Rednyella said:

It’s hardly a transfer fee. The club allowed Azeez to leave if Cambridge bought out his contract on his year left which was probably about 50k.

It was a transfer fee that the club received for Azeez - it might not be the millions spent on Neymar but Azeez was purchased by Cambridge United, with additional add ons IIRC, from Partick Thistle.

Edited by South Lanarkshire Jag

It was a transfer fee that the club received for Azeez - it might not be the millions spent on Neymar but Azeez was purchased by Cambridge United, with additional add ons IIRC, from Partick Thistle.

I wonder what percentage we got when he went to Dover.