The Partick Thistle thread

3 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I'm sure all the staff and volunteers at the club will be delighted to know Maxwell does all the behind the scenes work, they'll be able to put their feet up for the rest of the season.

Maxwell leads a team of those behind the scenes. In my eyes he's led them well. We've had no one saying otherwise and the club is in good condition. In no way did I say he did it all...

17 minutes ago, Rednyella said:

Maxwell leads a team of those behind the scenes. In my eyes he's led them well. We've had no one saying otherwise and the club is in good condition. In no way did I say he did it all...

I'm still sceptical about how much the Weirs are actually putting in that we're not aware of.

I think I said this when the news broke, we do seem a bit more professionally run compared to 5 years ago but not sure how much of that was down to Maxwell and how much is just a natural consequence of playing in the top division for that time and having multi millionaire lottery winners come on board.

19 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I'm still sceptical about how much the Weirs are actually putting in that we're not aware of.

I think I said this when the news broke, we do seem a bit more professionally run compared to 5 years ago but not sure how much of that was down to Maxwell and how much is just a natural consequence of playing in the top division for that time and having multi millionaire lottery winners come on board.

Fair point,...

But remember you still have to have fairly intelligent and wise people dealing with the money. Plenty of companies and organizations have been cash rich and wasted it. Many are no longer in existence. I can think of several football clubs that had money and a pipe dream and where are they now?  Credit needs to go to Maxwell, and the board we've had the last 5-10 years. We are definitely a changed club and Maxwell was part of that. To 'shrug' off his time in my humble opinion shows that many don't maybe understand the challenges associated with leading / managing a business that has limited capabilities, even with a lotto winning supporter family, and the needs to build a culture of team work, motivated and enjoying their daily work to meet goals. Money doesnt automatically mean the company or organization will be successfully run. 

If McGinn leaves then don’t see anyone being too bothered. Always tried yes, but was a defensive minded full back which didn’t fit our playstyle

I wish him the best n all that since he always tried and came across genuine in interviews. 

2 hours ago, Sting777 said:

The Star exclusively reporting that Paul McGinn subject of a pre contract bid from St Mirren

Hard working, but average at best.

I can’t say I hold out much hope for St Mirren’s assault on the title next season if that’s the standard of player they’re looking at.

21 hours ago, Sting777 said:

The Star exclusively reporting that Paul McGinn subject of a pre contract bid from St Mirren

Well, at least he knows he's going to a top-flight team. :rolleyes:

McGinn is honking.
He'd be on my clear out list along with Osman, Scully, Fraser, Bannigan, Dumbuya, Devine, Spittal, Barton, Storey.

What on earth has happened to some of those players you've mentioned? Mainly Osman. I always recall him being top class.

Did your fans not also used to talk up Adam Barton a lot or have I got that wrong?

32 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

What on earth has happened to some of those players you've mentioned? Mainly Osman. I always recall him being top class.

Did your fans not also used to talk up Adam Barton a lot or have I got that wrong?

Osman and Barton last year were really good and made it look effortless.

The effortless part is still there. The good, not so much.

48 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

McGinn is honking.
He'd be on my clear out list along with Osman, Scully, Fraser, Bannigan, Dumbuya, Devine, Spittal, Barton, Storey.

I would keep Bannigan as I think he will come good again. Storey is one of the few people we have with slight pace and can only improve from this season (surely?!) + has won us games (St Johnstone @ home). Controversially, I would keep and sell Spittal come January as he wreaks of fair weather player, so get a few good games whilst the weather is decent then punt in winter.

I would punt Nisbett too tbh.

Edited by cilitbang

43 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

McGinn is honking.

Looking at that, the thing I’m most annoyed about is how much of a charity we’ve been to crocks.

I can almost accept the likes of Scully and Devine in the squad as you do need depth, even if they're not very good players. And Osman, Barton & Storey do have previous for actually being good players, which is why it’s frustrating that they’ve been so poor this year.

Seeing Bannigan, Fraser and Dumbuya (previously Sean Welsh) steal a wage is the worst, though. Playing at the level we’re at, with such fine margins in terms of wages, signings, etc, wasting at least £100k a year on player wages for each of the last 3 or 4 seasons just isn’t good enough. I actually quite like a few of these guys and would happily have them starting if fit, but the problem is they’re not, haven’t been for years, and this doesn’t seem to matter.