The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, JP THE DEE said:

Now were safe good luck to the Thistle for the rest of the season,hopefully you catch that disgusting excuse of a football team Accies.I and most Dundee supporters would happily give you the 3 points last game of the season so you can send that sh*'te down.Love the Harryrags one of the best days out in Scottish football.

So fuckin horny 4 Dundee ❤️

Not sure how to interpret Motherwell’s performance today and how it will affect us on Tuesday? 

Will Well now be out to avenge today’s pummelling? Have Well downed tools and gone on holiday mode? Or are they saving themselves for their final?

46 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

Not sure how to interpret Motherwell’s performance today and how it will affect us on Tuesday? 

Will Well now be out to avenge today’s pummelling? Have Well downed tools and gone on holiday mode? Or are they saving themselves for their final?

If I could paint a picture of the entire game, it'd be Conor Sammon scoring while in the background Archie's dragging his arse along the ground like Lineker in that World Cup game, with Devine trying to find his way out of the North Stand while we try our best to make sure we don't keep any sort of lead.

Fair to say I'm not confident.

18 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

If you don't manage to get out of the playoff spot it would be poetic revenge if you beat United in the playoff final.

Just gonnae no.        But aye,  even though we pummelled them on their road downwards,  there's still that wee feeling creeping back - it would be justice.  

But please naw.   Was just a boy at the time and don't think I could do a rematch now. 

That feeling when 1-0 up after Ian Cameron's penalty though... 

by my count that's just the 3 wins in 2018 now, one of which was away to 2nd tier QotS. Consistently served up the same shite since switching off in the post split fixtures last season, and they've never really switched back on since.

Posted it in the Motherwell match thread but he's got the Dundee game and, assuming we avoid the ignominy of the automatic drop, the playoffs to salvage a bit of professional pride and then him and Paterson have pretty much got to go. I think they'll probably go on to do quite a stable-if-unspectacular job at another full time club but they've completely ran out of ideas with Thistle.

Fair enough they've been given a lot of time - a LOT more leeway than most managerial teams in professional football in Scotland are given, largely due to their playing background - but it's pretty clear that it hasn't worked.

I've hummed and hawwed about renewing the ST and on balance I probably will, whatever league we're in, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am with forking out £300+ to watch more of the same old Alan Archibald shite. We stay up? Great, time for - at best - more bottle jobs against the bigger names, frequent late collapses and getting nowhere near a cup semi final or - at worst - a repeat of this seasons fiasco, complete with bottle jobs and shite cup record. We go down, and we either fail to come back up first time of asking (assuming there's no nightmare scenario of two straight drops which tbh isn't outwith the realms of possibility...) or get promoted automatically/via the playoffs and for the following season we get to see, er, more bottle jobs against the bigger names, frequent late collapses and getting nowhere near a cup semi final or a repeat of this seasons fiasco. Sign me up.

I was excited about the top 6 finish last season because I really thought it meant we could kick on and build a solid, stable club while trying to bring through more success stories like Lindsay, and try to reach a major cup final and/or take a big name scalp off Rangers/Celtic to make up for the heartache from (without delving into all the disastrous results we've had against them over the last umpteen years) the last minute Griffiths winner for 10 man Celtic against us and the infamous 2-1 bottlejobs (plural) against Rangers. I wasn't expecting another top 6 finish straight away but I thought we at least a sturdy foundation to stay away from the drop zone through the season, but it's been a completely regressive disaster.

Crazy the difference Liam Lindsay alone made to the whole defensive unit when we try to defend deep, and from set pieces. I miss the big gent. :(

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

A lot of people will disagree but i would have Osman back in last night.. He has been shit recently but we all know the difference he can make if he has a good game.

somethings not right at Firhill for me

1) I don’t think or team are fit.

2) I have no idea what Archie says to the player before the game/ half time / full time but not one of our underperforming players looks like they have had a kick up the arse.

3) Archie has possibly been the worst manager we have had at picking out a good striker. Only decent one Archie has signed is Lyle Taylor. Apart from that we’ve had Pogba. Baird. Storey. The list goes on.

4) The thing that has really pissed me off more than anything this season is bringing James Penrice back from Livingston.. The boy was Livingstons best player for the first half of the season? 

In a midfield role he was one of their most creative players.. He played against Celtic and has been papped out the team? Not very good management is it ?

5) Archie and Paterson seem to have just accepted relegation or play offs ! Where’s the passion? I’m amazed that these 2 guys played under John Lambie. He would have went through every 1 of them !! Unfortunately we are Fucked if We get into play offs !! 

I personally hope we play Dundee United and karma takes its part. But if it’s Livingston we end up playing I can’t see us winning against a team full of hungry young players. 

While like everyone else I'm seething at how meh the whole team seem, I'm also confused how most think that Archie charging about apopletic with rage, booting about chairs and shouting in players faces would solve things? Football players aren't the same that they were in the nineties and even Fergie went on paper saying he had to soften in his later management years.

I see there's a lot of relegation apologists emerging, attempting to somehow rationalise a slip into the Championship. There's also a selection of folk - most with tongue-in-cheek but some bizarrely straight faced - proposing that finishing last would be preferable to avoid the potential ignominy of a play-off defeat. 

This. Is. Fucking. Mental.

The enormity of getting a result on Saturday and giving ourselves a chance in the play-offs cannot be underestimated. It's the difference between realising all of these grand future plans and languishing in footballing purgatory indefinitely. Some folk appear to have conveniently forgotten that our previous two relegations from the Premier have resulted in an inexplicable slide into the seaside leagues. Of course, bouncing back at the first time of asking is possible but off the top of my head, I can only recall Inverness, Hibs and Hearts doing that in the last 20-25 years. There's a far longer list of teams that have drowned in the quicksand.

Folk lording over others, claiming to have seen it all before, should know better. They have seen it all before - and they know where it goes.

2 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

I see there's a lot of relegation apologists emerging, attempting to somehow rationalise a slip into the Championship. There's also a selection of folk - most with tongue-in-cheek but some bizarrely straight faced - proposing that finishing last would be preferable to avoid the potential ignominy of a play-off defeat. 

This. Is. Fucking. Mental.

The enormity of getting a result on Saturday and giving ourselves a chance in the play-offs cannot be underestimated. It's the difference between realising all of these grand future plans and languishing in footballing purgatory indefinitely. Some folk appear to have conveniently forgotten that our previous two relegations from the Premier have resulted in an inexplicable slide into the seaside leagues. Of course, bouncing back at the first time of asking is possible but off the top of my head, I can only recall Inverness, Hibs and Hearts doing that in the last 20-25 years. There's a far longer list of teams that have drowned in the quicksand.

Folk lording over others, claiming to have seen it all before, should know better. They have seen it all before - and they know where it goes.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and saying it's classic deflection instead of saying, like me, I'M BRICKING IT.

Players who are defeated before they go on the pitch against bigger clubs, a board who come out and say they’ll sack a manager if he has another poor start to the season and then do nothing when he does, fans who don’t want to sack a manager because “who will we get?” and people who are happy to be relegated.

Such a loser mentality at this club.

The "who will we get" seems to have disappeared to be replaced with "well it wasn't Archie who missed that chance/didn't mark his man/gave away the free kick' as if he can somehow be absolved of blame despite him signing and picking the players making the fucking mistakes. 

Loser mentality is exactly what it is. We've been perfectly happy just to make up the numbers since promotion and if/when we go down we'll have f**k all to show for it. Zero trips to Hampden and zero wins over the Old Firm when every other club in the division in that time has done at least one of the 2 and most of them have done both but still top 6 was magic eh? 

The "who will we get" seems to have disappeared to be replaced with "well it wasn't Archie who missed that chance/didn't mark his man/gave away the free kick' as if he can somehow be absolved of blame despite him signing and picking the players making the fucking mistakes. 

Loser mentality is exactly what it is. We've been perfectly happy just to make up the numbers since promotion and if/when we go down we'll have f**k all to show for it. Zero trips to Hampden and zero wins over the Old Firm when every other club in the division in that time has done at least one of the 2 and most of them have done both but still top 6 was magic eh? 

I think your point is valid and I’ve had this discussion with my Jag fan family. I totally get we’ve had success by making the top 6 last season. But the fact we cannot get wins versus top 6 let alone the OF shows our lack of skill set in regards the mentality of the players brought in but also significantly management. Coupled with the fact we haven’t made a decent cup run since our promotion 5 years ago.

All our fans are realistic regards our resources. We also realize the improvements in the professionalism and updates we’ve made in the day to day running of the club. The technology, IT and website are all improved. We win awards for Jagzone and our streaming audio and video. All great and that brings fans great value and experience. BUT with this has to come quality on the park. Without quality and some real improvements in the areas mentioned by Pie or I outline above are we really progressing? Shouldn’t we want that progression? A training facility is fantastic and a well run youth academy, but where is the return on this investment? Or should we be happy with a top 6 aim every now and then? but always fearing relegation as we are this season? A cup semi-final or final!!! A win versus our most hated rivals of the OF!!! It’s so frustrating when in a season we see 7 league wins and all of them are versus bottom six sides.

The last thing I’d ask is, Is Archie really improving us? For all five seasons we’ve been prone to losing late goals and points as we struggle to put teams to bed by being 2 or 3 goals in front. We’ve never had quality up front outside Doolz who’s carried us with 12+ goals per season. Until this season where he has picked up a niggling injury. Thankfully Sammon caught some form at turn of year. I’d argue Archie hasn’t learnt in this area. Sick of losing an 85th minute goal to draw or lose a game.

Any thoughts as I think the point is a good one as we look to support the players on staying up and getting a six season in the top league! #monthejags