The Partick Thistle thread

Bold but probably the right call from the board. I still reckon if he doesn't get off to a good start or falls away during the season he'll be gone. A lot of positives in the statement though, player clear out and budget is available. Looks like we're going for it next season, could be absolutely class or it could be a disaster. Either way actually quite excited now. I must be off my head, it's amazing what a few days can do. 

Would be nice to put the Archie out debate to bed for a while and focus on the rebuild and positives. 

Wonder if the Weir's are involved in any of the financials?

I always liked Peter Grant under Peter Houston (who I would’ve wanted as manager btw) at Falkirk, and I see he’s been released. What happened to him last season? Injury? Form turn to shite?

O’Ware and Millar would be good. Are Willo Flood and Scott McDonald totally past it now?

6 minutes ago, Slacker said:

I always liked Peter Grant under Peter Houston (who I would’ve wanted as manager btw) at Falkirk, and I see he’s been released. What happened to him last season? Injury? Form turn to shite?

O’Ware and Millar would be good. Are Willo Flood and Scott McDonald totally past it now?

Grant was released from Falkirk because of his injuries sadly 

was flood not being rumoured to have signed for Montrose 

This "one poor season four good ones" argument is becoming tedious even ignoring the fact it's not really true .
One poor season would've been this season if we'd scraped through in the playoffs or finished 10th. This season is an absolute disaster, poor doesn't even begin to describe it and it should take far more than a top 6 finish one season to deserve another go at it after that. 

Like a cup win or beating Rangers or Celtic

Why?
Several similar sized clubs have reached semi finals, finals and actually won things, winning European ties, away trips to far flung places,  you canny beat that shit. Explain in great detail why your club cannot be part of these experiences. 

Sure you can, when the league is weak. I am sure you will counteract this somehow, but I think your European exploits occurred when either Rangers, Hearts or Hibs - or all 3 were not in the premiership. What happened when they were all back in. You finished in the bottom half

6 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Sure you can, when the league is weak. I am sure you will counteract this somehow, but I think your European exploits occurred when either Rangers, Hearts or Hibs - or all 3 were not in the premiership. What happened when they were all back in. You finished in the bottom half

So when they're all there you can't reach cup semis and finals and can't reach Europe? :lol:

Absolute bollocks.

You have clearly ignored every single point I have made in the past few pages which covers your reply so I am just going to chalk you off as someone not worth engaging with. Have a nice day.

I couldn’t say what other points you have made as I only comment on the particular post - but by all means ignore me.

20 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I've got a funny feeling there'll be a press conference tomorrow. Not pretending to be #itk, but it's been 48+ hours, enough time for all parties concerned to have had a sleep on it.

close enough, I guess.

I'm glad I'm not involved in the decision making process for things like this, because tbh I've swithered heavily over the last few months, weeks and days. The last time I was confident that keeping him could work was December when we beat County and Accies, but we never built on that.

It's hard when you can see valid points being made on both sides of the debate.

On balance, and particularly keeping in mind some of the performances he oversaw while failing to stop a 12+ month decline, like the reamings post-split against Aberdeen and Celtic, 4-0 County, 3-0 Hearts in the first half, 5-1 Killie, going down 2-1 twice in last minute losses to Accies and Dundee in the space of a week, and topping the season off with a timid, meek 3-1 aggregate beating in the playoff losing home and away... I still think that him leaving for the coming season would have been best for all parties concerned.  There have been the odd highlights too (1-1 at Parkhead the season Celtic went unbeaten is a fine result; 2-1 against Accies just there; 1-0 against Morton) so I really hope he's got it in him to pick the whole club up and deliver some great moments.

He's got a very, very hard task on his hands, but in fairness whoever came in would have the same problems to deal with too. Off the top of my head:

Even if we keep a decent sized budget for the playing staff we can't offer top-flight football exposure to prospective signings. He's likely to have to deal with some of our players that he might wish to retain wanting to leave for a better wage, too, which compounds the difficulty in putting together a strong squad.

we were shite going forward, getting overran in midfield and shite at defending (just shite all-round really) for the bulk of last season, so he's got to look at performance improvement literally everywhere on the pitch (except for maybe Cerny, assuming he stays)...

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

2 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

2012-13:  Finished 3rd, Hearts and Hibs in League.

Motherwell, Inverness, Ross County, Dundee United also in top half. 

2013-14: Finished 6th, Hearts and Hibs in League. 

Motherwell, Inverness, Dundee United also in top half.

2015-16: Finished 4th, Hearts in league. 

Motherwell and Ross County finish top six. 

2016-17: Finished 4th, Hearts and Rangers in league. 

Partick also finish top six. 

I agree the "big five" are pretty set, but let's not pretend those five all peaking at the same time is something that happens regularly. Aiming to finish below them is utterly defeatist since most regularly turn to shite for a decade or so at a time. 

4 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Dunfermline also made a cup final and had a couple of games in Europe

Three major cup finals actually. Lost them all to Celtic.

Four matches in Europe as well but...nah let's forget they even happened tbh :(

Also, I like that statement from Thistle. Makes very clear they're backing Archibald and the goal is to achieve promotion. However, there is one horrible, uber-cringeworthy line:

We have also agreed that we must return to playing football like Partick Thistle – we can’t be anyone else.

Ew.

2 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Three major cup finals actually. Lost them all to Celtic.

Four matches in Europe as well but...nah let's forget they even happened tbh :(

Also, I like that statement from Thistle. Makes very clear they're backing Archibald and the goal is to achieve promotion. However, there is one horrible, uber-cringeworthy line:

Ew.

Just consider yourself lucky you didn't read the last one where they referred to getting back to the Premiership as getting "back to where we belong". Won't be long before the 'top flight needs a strong Partick Thistle' patter starts.

4 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Just consider yourself lucky you didn't read the last one where they referred to getting back to the Premiership as getting "back to where we belong". Won't be long before the 'top flight needs a strong Partick Thistle' patter starts.

If that's what they say publicly then I can only imagine how deluded the board meetings are.

4 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

this might be me being a bit thick, but I read that as being that we tried to emulate the way some other teams play last season and it didn't really work for us, rather than just trying to play to our own strengths.

15 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Sevcoesque