The Partick Thistle thread

15 hours ago, KelvindaleJag said:

[edit]

The real aim for the forthcoming season has to be survival in the Championship, after the freefall instituted by the thrawn refusal to adapt timeously in the top flight. Tough times ahead, I'm afraid.

44 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

Not sure how you can say that in the knowledge that we still need to bring in at least 8 players. Let's see who signs before we condemn ourself to a relegation battle!

Five weeks today the new season begins. I presume that the current squad are currently at a re-education camp eradicating last season's mindset and learning to play the 'Partick Thistle way'. The 8+ players that I agree we need to get in will have to be woven into this new, lustrous fabric over the next thirty five days.

I'm afraid that the season we have just witnessed has left a mental scar. I hope the existing squad can overcome this quicker than I have.  I don't think we'll face a relegation battle but I suspect that there may, indeed, be tough times ahead.

4 hours ago, Arnold Layne said:

Five weeks today the new season begins. I presume that the current squad are currently at a re-education camp eradicating last season's mindset and learning to play the 'Partick Thistle way'. The 8+ players that I agree we need to get in will have to be woven into this new, lustrous fabric over the next thirty five days.

I'm afraid that the season we have just witnessed has left a mental scar. I hope the existing squad can overcome this quicker than I have.  I don't think we'll face a relegation battle but I suspect that there may, indeed, be tough times ahead.

Nailed it in one.

After last season, expecting to challenge for the play-offs  is borderline delusional.

One point to get above Hamilton and our so-called best squad this century shat it.

Says it all.

40 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

I see the panic and hysteria you normally associate with the Facebook pages and wearethistle has now reached this forum. 

Pie and Bovril has fallen. Our last bastion of sanity.

It always happens at this point of the year. Best bet is to relentlessly abuse them and hope they eventually go away. See below....

32 minutes ago, Jag0001 said:

This was our last bit of sanity. I’m not religious but god help us if this is our last bit of sanity.

f**k up.

4 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

I see the panic and hysteria you normally associate with the Facebook pages and wearethistle has now reached this forum. 

Pie and Bovril has fallen. Our last bastion of sanity.

Once the World Cup starts on Thursday, the thread will revert back to its normal state of torpor.

Edited by Barney Rubble

On 6/8/2018 at 23:10, Barney Rubble said:

Yep - and all for the sake of a single point.

Not to mention the top flight's worst goal difference by far, a very poor disciplinary record and possibly Scottish football's worst injury record. The wonder is that the competition was so poor as to let us stay within reach of saving our status.

3 minutes ago, KelvindaleJag said:

Not to mention the top flight's worst goal difference by far, a very poor disciplinary record and possibly Scottish football's worst injury record. The wonder is that the competition was so poor as to let us stay within reach of saving our status.

To underline your observation, ICT were relegated the previous season with 34 points - a total that three teams last season (including ourselves obviously) failed to match.

On 6/9/2018 at 13:20, Sting777 said:

Not sure how you can say that in the knowledge that we still need to bring in at least 8 players. Let's see who signs before we condemn ourself to a relegation battle!

Possibly the "no change - as you were" attitude, whatever the (currently unsigned) players may or may not be. It's up to the management to turn it round, and there hasn't been any sign of that so far. Keep doing the same, and you'll get the same results.

P&B turning into WAT for sure.

First off the club only 2 weeks ago let go of 60-70% of the players.

What do you want the club to do in two weeks? I think many are jumping to conclusions and how do you know if last season will linger? You can’t make any assertion until he season kicks off. Boggling statements.

It certainly will linger if you all keep harping in about it! I mean ffs give the club a chance to execute and be a little patient.

We kept our loyal die in the wool players, we have a trio of young players that will be starters next year and you’ll probably see 8-10 new players in the next 5-7 weeks.

Not to mention we lost our GM who assisted in signings and have had to move people around. I think the club / board have done what’s expected once they decided to keep Archie and management team. Little problem at this point.

Seems to me there is a lot of negative speculation with really very little to back it up. Let’s wait and see and enjoy a little time off.

World Cup coming up. By the time we see that through and we get some summer holidays in I’m sure we’ll have a different discussion.

If nothing moves and we’re in middle to end of July then maybe it’s time to get nervous. But not at this point.

The good thing about this compared to WAT/ Facebook is that you can very easily click into the Falkirk / Ayr / Morton threads on the same forum and see their fans are equally panicking about lack of signings, and also that Dunfermline have signed Danny Devine and most of their fans have reacted to that as you'd expect.

What do you want the club to do in two weeks? I think many are jumping to conclusions and how do you know if last season will linger? You can’t make any assertion until he season kicks off. Boggling statements.

It certainly will linger if you all keep harping in about it! I mean ffs give the club a chance to execute and be a little patient.

We kept our loyal die in the wool players, we have a trio of young players that will be starters next year and you’ll probably see 8-10 new players in the next 5-7 weeks.

Not to mention we lost our GM who assisted in signings and have had to move people around. I think the club / board have done what’s expected once they decided to keep Archie and management team. Little problem at this point.

Seems to me there is a lot of negative speculation with really very little to back it up. Let’s wait and see and enjoy a little time off.

World Cup coming up. By the time we see that through and we get some summer holidays in I’m sure we’ll have a different discussion.

If nothing moves and we’re in middle to end of July then maybe it’s time to get nervous. But not at this point.
Exactly the sort of thing I would have posted last night if I hadn't been just a teensy bit pished.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Pie and Bovril mobile app

1 hour ago, Rednyella said:

I like the positive outlook and largely agree - the main thing I'm fretting a bit over is that we  need the bit in bold to be far more hit than miss to give us a fighting chance of competing for automatic promotion/winning through the playoffs, which is going to be difficult. Not impossible, but difficult.

O'Ware signing has alleviated that a bit since he's on paper a very good start, leaving aside that barring Lawless and maybe Cerny we've retained the players most Thistle fans would have wanted to stay after last seasons debacle.

Glass half full - it's a great chance for the club to put together a squad with the right sort of professionalism and attitude to the game.

Plus we might get to see more goals like  this:

I didn't like that strip at all but I guess it's associated with good times. I didn't think any of the Joma home tops were that bad until the season just finished, and then combined with red shorts and relegation it's going to be down there with the Jester top. Red shorts (yes I know we won the LC in 1971 wearing them yada yada) always give me the fear.

Away tops under Joma have been shit until this season. Guess it'll be back to black shorts for the home kit- which means the away kit is probably due to be purple or pink given the limited amount of colours we can have.

Edited by Fuctifano